Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

PSP vs. DS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
henx12
BANNED

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: PSP vs. DS Reply with quote

Question Which handheld console should i get?

PSP:Big Screen,Region Free for Games,You Can watch movies and stuff,you can also use it as a SNES,Nes and Genesis Emulator,Great Graphics,Online Play.Cost 299$

DS:Two Screens,Touch Screen,Cool Games,Voice Recognition,Lan Play and Online,With Attacment can watch videos and music,Plus,C´mon It looks Stylish Admit it And Chat Software.It Costs somewhere to 170$

Please Give Me your opinions.

I Mean,I love nintendo and i have a N64,GC and Advance,
But I am Very interested in the PSP Capabilities.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if you live in another country where prices are different, but here in the US I think the PSP is $250 and the DS $130. I think the UMD movies are pretty useless unless you spend a lot of time travelling. Otherwise, why watch movies on a tiny screen? And you'll have to buy all new movies for the new format. So yeah, that's not much of a selling point. The DS is region free too, but maybe you didn't mention that because you thought it to be assumed.

I haven't actually played either one so I can't offer a very informed opinion. But my own process with buying new hardware is to wait a couple of years, both for the cost to come down and to give them time to build a software library. By that time, it should be easy enough to choose according to which one has the games you want to play most.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to pick up a DS here in a month or so. Figured it's time and I am liking the library it's building for itself. Castlevania, Mario Kart DS is coming (with the handy dandy WiFi connection it will be very very nice) and the Final Fantasy III remake. Plus all those nice GBA games will play on it as well. So when I pop a game out of my GB Player it can come with me.

Still havn't seen much on the PSP that really interests me. Except for maybe that Lumines game, just for the fact that I like mind numbing puzzle games that suck you in sometimes.
Akuma Sephitaro
STOP POSTING AND MAKE SARDIUS A CAKE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in love with the DS

Mario 64, Kirby Canvas Curse and Castlevania are all I own for it, but each one are great games!

So I may be a bit biased, but I'd go with a DS

Playing Castlevania with a pink stylus= priceless

(The stylus was a online offer if you own K:CC )
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to play fun old games, or fun new games? That's what your choice comes down to.
portnoyd
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet for you is to look at both systems release lists and write down which games you would want to buy/play for each system. Whichever is longer, is the one you pick, factoring the PSP emu thing in as well.

My personal opinion is the DS. My dollar goes farther and the games are goddamn GRATE. The emu factor for the PSP has never grabbed me, and the release games have done little to excite me.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to the GBA SP NES edition.

That, or Dasaffe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
henx12
BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: PSP vs. DS Reply with quote

:oops: I.........uh.....Had NO IDEA! THE DS WAS REGION FREE OMG!!!!!!
But,Seriously.I had no idea about the region free thing,BTW do european DS´s Also have Region Free.

Anyway I live in estonia,Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonia

And Yes I like,No i LOVE NINTENDO GAMES ALL THE WAY FROM MARIO TO LOZ to DONKEY KONG!.

But What about Graphics?

PSP Graphics=Ps 1.5
Ds=If N64 And GBA had Sex,That´s What the Ds graphics Looks Like.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you rather play a good game or a pretty game? If there are games on the PSP that make your propeller whir then you get both I suppose. DS while not as shiny is still pretty for most games.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: PSP vs. DS Reply with quote

henx12 wrote:
But What about Graphics?

PSP Graphics=Ps 1.5
Ds=If N64 And GBA had Sex,That´s What the Ds graphics Looks Like.

Well let's do the math here.

A "Ps 1.5" would be right in between a 32-bit PS1 and a 128-bit PS2, so that would mean that the PSP has 80-bit graphics.

A mutant N64/GBA sex baby on the other hand would be in between a 64-bit N64 and a 32-bit GBA, so the DS has 48-bit graphics.

DS: 48-bit
PSP: 80-bit

CONCLUSION: You should buy a Tiger Game.com.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought a PSP specifically to emulate. Don't own any games, don't plan on getting any (especially if they'll upgrade the bios), and I still need to get a bigger memory card.

I'd buy a DS but I just know I wouldn't play it, even with all the badass stuff available for it that I really really want to play.
narc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: PSP vs. DS Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:

CONCLUSION: You should buy a Tiger Game.com.

I own a game.com trust me nobody should ever buy one of those. (and I dont think many did)

As for games if you like the standard sony franchises then a psp if for you. Up until last month the titles available were not enough for a must by but buy the end of the holiday season that should change. Im looking forward to a number of games.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny... I have Game.Com games, but no console :-/

Anyway, I'd go for the DS, emulation on the PSP still has a friggin long way to go, besides, if you get a DS and a PassME or sometihng, then you can play something as awesome as Heretic with dual screen (Pretty much same controller as the Metroid Hunters demo has)

So DS all the way!

Nah, anyway, seriously, the DS has a far better game library (Both DS and GBA) and homebrew/emulation on the PSP is overrated.

+the PSP is pricy...
henx12
BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: PSP vs. DS Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Wish I could Have Both!

But Let´s See Now....

PSP Must Haves:
Pursuit Force
Grand Turismo 4
Ridge Racer
Infected

DS Must Haves:
Advance Wars:Dual Strike
Super Mario 64 DS
Mario Kart DS
Wario Ware:Touched!
Mario & Luigi 2:Partners in Time
New Super Mario Bros.
Any New Legend Of Zelda Games
Metroid:Hunters
Golden Eye:Rogue Agent
Animal Crossing DS
Space Invaders Revolution
Yoshi Touch & Go

Laughing So i Guess Ds Outnumbers PSP 13 to 4.
Warning:The Part Below Has Nothing to Do with The Ds Or anything Else,This Is me Just Talking Some Boring Ass SHIT!.

I Want to Get some New GC Games:
Battalion Wars
Legend Of Zelda:Twilight Princess
Dance Dance:Mario Mix
Pokemon XD:Gale of Darkness
And Sonic Gems Collection.

Btw,Anyone Know Any Stores in Europe Where You Can Buy Cheap GC Games And Pay with Visa.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to nitpick, but I don't know if I could list PSP Gran Turismo 4 as a must have.

Gran Turismo 4 would be a must have on the console, though. You can see a lot more. And then you can get a steering wheel controller. And pedal controllers. And then you can build a custom racing console with the steering wheel and pedal controllers. And then you can build a custom racing seat to place the console and an adjustable racing seat. And then you can put extenders on the pedals. And then you can put floor panels and carpeting on the seat and console cabinet. And then you can put chrome and lighting on the cabinet. And then you can build a second seat and console cabinet that matches the first and place them side by side. And then you can get two screens and two projectors and have a massive viewing area. And then you can kit out the second cabinet as well. And then you can add drink holders. And then you can add fans to the cabinet. And then you can add speakers to the cabinet. And then you can add volume control. And then you can add a convertible top. And then you can add spinners. And then you can add neon lights and a fog machine. And then you can add a dual responsive hydraulics system for real interactive feel. And then you can get a custom paint job for each cabinet.

Or you can just play the game on a TV so you can see what's going on better. But all that other stuff would be cool to have, too.
Mia D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henx you forgot Kirby: Canvas Curse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
henx12
BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: PSP vs. DS Reply with quote

Embarassed Yeah,Well Maybe.

I Think I am Sticking With the DS so,

Please name your top ten DS game Picks Plz!

The Main Reason i thought about PSP WAS BC:FF7
Plus other FF games
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think though - You can play 1-6 here pretty soon

FF I and II - GBA
FF III Remake - DS
and IV-VI soon to be GBA done up.... FF VII wasn't all that great anyways...
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFVII is still the only Final Fantasy game I ever played through and I don't care!
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope there'll be some sort of awesome DS + GBA combo function with the new FFIV-VI GBA releases and FFIII DS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: