Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

What's with this?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManekiNeko
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: What's with this? Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8227288756

An unreleased sequel to The Legend of Zelda on the NES, or just a hokey hoax? You be the judge.

JR
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, it already jumped over $100 with what look like legitimate bids. I was guessing the guy would get around 100 for it just from the people who seem to always bid on stuff like this hoping it's real. I hope the bidders enjoy mysteriously non-functional carts and/or rom hacks.

In another thread, Li Wang wrote:
I especially love all the attention given to getting all the copyright symbols just right on this particular hastily typed up prototype label. You always need those on stuff that's strictly for internal use only, kept in a triple sealed vault that's constantly guarded by an army of pitbulls backed up with laser beam installations on the wall and a few bear traps just for good measure. Also: good thing NOA distinguished it as the NTSC version to further guide their hapless employees. Everyone knows the dev teams at NOJ often loved to recode and send them things in PAL format years before a PAL version would ever be needed. Just for shits and giggles, you know?

Hoaxes like this can be fun, though. Remember "Pitfall 3"?

Looks like the guy was trying to copy the format of those Euro prototypes. I wonder what Zelda 1 hack he burned to the EPROMS...

Not that it isn't obviously fake without picking apart the guy's logic mistakes in the forgery, but it's fun to do anyway.

Not to mention the date on the cart is only a year and a half before the real Zelda III was actually released in Japan. And how it's an NES cart found in Canada and not a Famicom cart found in Japan. And how nobody has ever heard so much as a hint that anything like this was ever even planned to exist. That can happen with Sunman, but no way in hell with what would have been the latest Zelda game.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with every single thing you've said up there Li Wang, but remember (or wasn't this public knowledge), Final Fantasy II was found in Canada. Hell if I know how.

Also, Jesus CHRIST do I hate long ebay urls. Fuck you, ebay. Fuck you. (Yes, I edited the url shorter in the first post.)
Necrosaro420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm lets see here.

1) No Returns
2) Has not been tested
3) Can not show a pic of the insides
4) Label looks way to new (white)
5) Know's its "one-of-a-kind" but doesnt even own a nintendo
6) Sold "As-Is"
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kap wrote:
I agree with every single thing you've said up there Li Wang, but remember (or wasn't this public knowledge), Final Fantasy II was found in Canada. Hell if I know how.

Also, Jesus CHRIST do I hate long ebay urls. Fuck you, ebay. Fuck you. (Yes, I edited the url shorter in the first post.)

Was it really found in Canada, though? I thought the story was that he bought it from his friend at Square who kept it after CES.

Not that something like this couldn't migrate to or be created for use in the Americas in the first place, but this prototype would have been so early it wouldn't have made sense for NOA or NOCL to even be wasting valuable work time messing with it.

Incidentally, I remember Chris Covell mentioning he found what he suspected to be genuine final "prototypes" of the Gameboy Color Zelda games in a Canadian pawn shop. Wasn't one of the theories that those came from some warehouse Nintendo has up there?

By the way, I was one of the people who asked the guy for more pictures. It's time to revive TheRedEye's Zelda prototype scammer game!

Discover the obscure font, detectives!

Last edited by Li Wang on Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:
kap wrote:

Was it really found in Canada, though? I thought the story was that he bought it from his friend at Square who kept it after CES.

I should've said, it came to us from Canada, regardless of how it got there.

The rest of the stuff you brought up, I dunno. Again, good points. Did anything happen with the stuff Chris found?
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have just been copies of the retail versions because that guy is tech machine. I doubt he would have needed help getting them dumped.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:
Discover the obscure font, detectives!

Or you could just look at the source to the auction page and see how for some reason he decided to use the same font in the description. It's Courier New.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things about it that makes me believe it 'could' be something, but unfortunatly, there are stuff against it...

Nr.1

Beta number looks 'nice', but... What kind of a 'big title' like that manages to hit beta without having been heard of anyway?

Nr.2

Wouldn't surprise me if NoA made a "Zelda game of their own", which then again could explain why it never was showed off/announced, as it might not've been approved by NoJ.
BUT... still... something "that hidden" would've just never had a cartridge put that nicely together and never heard been heard of before.

I'd say this is probably just a dead circuit board with a sticker.

Maybe a hack with a tag put on it for fun...

Who knows >_>

But seriously... the fact that the guy doesn't feel like opening the thing and that he's unable to get ahold of a NES to take some shots of it... gah... total retard... or scam :-/

Seriously:
Seller wrote:
nothing out of the ordinary, but two of them were without labels whatsoever... There waas no glue residue or anything, so i'll test them out once I have a chance.

His reply to a question about if there was anything else that was rare in the 'box' he bought.

Why not just test this thing out too?
(Either scam or maybe he's afraid of it being fake, and suddenly all the lovely dovely 200USD that's currently in the bidding is gone >_>)
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:

Not to mention the date on the cart is only a year and a half before the real Zelda III was actually released in Japan. And how it's an NES cart found in Canada and not a Famicom cart found in Japan. And how nobody has ever heard so much as a hint that anything like this was ever even planned to exist. That can happen with Sunman, but no way in hell with what would have been the latest Zelda game.

Zach Meston, in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Game Secrets wrote:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is a 16-bit continuation of the Zelda game series. Most players refer to it as Zelda III, but that's not the game's official title, and Nintendo of America Inc. states that they may yet release a true Zelda III video game for the 8-bit NES.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that's interesting. It sounds more like "maybe this will exist someday" vaporware than actual information about a game being planned, though.

More information about the auction can be found here.
akadewboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay Nuked the auction, I guess we'll never now.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we'll know. That's what we do.
S.K.7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This potential farce continues at

http://spaces.msn.com/members/vav00m/

He has this page linked from it.
Extra Zesty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some more information on Zelda III listed at the following site:
http://www.ratedo.com/articles/z3proto.html

The best part is that the person writing the article claims to have a prototype Zelda III as well, but it's conveniently broken. Does anyone have any more information on the guy writing the article I linked to? I'd really, really like to believe that these protos have at least some authenticity behind them and that they'll eventually be dumped.

Also, the guy who had the Ebay auction up claims that somebody's flying out to see the prototype -- "Knight 7", does anyone have any idea who that is? I wonder if he's flying all the way out there just to see a bad HK hack of Spartan X 2 or something.
S.K.7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's flying all the way in, it might be for a reason?

I'm sure we'll all be dragged along in this tale. Wanting not to watch, but feeling somewhat obligated to, just in case.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is flying anywhere except in the auctioneer's fictional world. Expect news about how the mysterious man offered a generous sum and took the cart home with him on Sunday, never to be heard from again. Oh yeah, and how he couldn't get around to taking any more "screenshots" before that time.
narc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still interesting to see the title screen. Its not enough to believe but still.

Oh and that guy knight 7 might be the poster named knight 73 in his comments under zelda 3 buyer.

One more thing can anyone tell what that is in the bottom right of the game screen in his screen shot.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does that screen shot look like a hack of Link's Awakening in a Super Game Boy?

Theory 1: Fake. The one my cynical pessimistic brain is leaning towards.

Theory 2: Real, but something done by NOA or another third party. I kind of doubt this one.

EDIT: Okay just saw the Ratedo article... I dunno, I'm still thinking "FAKE FAKE FAKE ZOMG".
LocalH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an SGB, since there is no SGB border. It's likely not a Wideboy either. The screenshot's too blurry to tell if it's a real NES or not (by looking for the NES' trademark composite video artifacts).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: