Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:44 am

Nintendo Dolphin and PS2 Tool systems found at flea market?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akadewboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Nintendo Dolphin and PS2 Tool systems found at flea market? Reply with quote

I was browsing the GameFAQs boards and ran into these two posts:

Nintendo Dolphin post
Playstation 2 Tool post

Apparently this guy and his friend were lucky enough to find a Nintendo Dolphin and a couple PS2 Tool systems at a flea market. Is there any more info on these things?

Pictures they took:
http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1364sa5.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1365nc2.jpg
http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1369be3.jpg
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality assurance co. that I worked at has about 50 of those gamecubes/dolphins. They are just dev/test kits that were modified for cart reading as EPROMs can be burned to much faster than DVD (from what I understand) - Also much cheaper as well. A lot of times though this could cause an issue as the game would run fine on cart but then when running on DVD you'd see new bugs, likely due to load times and difference in the speed the data can be read on the different formats.

The PS2 dev/test kits come in so many different models its not funny. They are very easy to come by on ebay as well.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... no

That red gamecube is not a dolphin, it's an NDPD reader. And the cart that goes in it actually has a laptop hard drive inside. The cart can hold up to 4 images of a gamecube disc. The gamecube itself doesn't know that it's not running off of a disc (aside from the load times). The buttons on the front are used to simulate a door opening and such.

These generally sell for about $600 on ebay.

The ps2 TOOL is not the same as a TEST ps2 that you've all seen on ebay a thousand times. The TOOL is actually a PC with a built in PS2 motherboard. It is the only way to run unsigned ps2 code (without a mod chip anyway). They're dirt common in the industry, but rare as hens teeth on the black market. They generally go for about $2000 on ebay.

Any questons on the units pictured, lmk. I have most of this info on my website.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man how come all I ever find at flea markets is dealers who want 20 bucks for a loose copy of Contra? Sad
Mack_the_Hairbrush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning a DVD doesn't take too long. Why go through the trouble of creating an EPROM when it just creates differences in gameplay.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wants to burn nine million dvds over the course of producing one game, and if a minor bit of code is changed, you don't want to wait minutes for a burn.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want them to burn nine million DVDs. Very Happy
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack_the_Hairbrush wrote:
Burning a DVD doesn't take too long. Why go through the trouble of creating an EPROM when it just creates differences in gameplay.

Well, first of all, it's not an eeprom. It's a laptop hard drive. The carts are REALLY expensive too. While the NPDP carts are really a marvel of engineering, they're not particularly usefull for development as you get closer to final builds. Most developers kinda gave up on them after a while due to the hardware/software to use them is pretty clunky, it takes the same ammount of time to burn an NR disc, and you get screwey results from testing.

Add in the fact that you can burn up to 16 NR discs (the development version of a testing disc for the gamecube) at a time, and most devs gave up on the NPDP's.

Still a damn cool system either way, i'd love to get my hands on either an NPDP or a TOOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: