Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:50 am

New NES dumps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated. Just one new rom this time, but it's a good one.

This comes courtesy of a group effort from the entire Lost Levels staff.

Last edited by Skrybe on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawnphase

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock on man.
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! Sweet! (repeat ad nauseum)
Akumu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome find!!!!

one question, is there a playable japanese Monster Party prototype out there? Has it ever been spotted?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. We all live in eternal hope. :(
BBH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is a GRATE find indeed. Kudos to you guys for acquiring this. I vaguely remember when I was a kid looking at those cutscene screenshots again after I'd already played the released version, and being a tad confused. Why would they change them to the much lamer ones in the finished version? Did somebody at Sunsoft actually see the movie before the game was ready for release and realize "holy shit, this game has almost nothing to do with the movie at all!"?

a few other things I've noticed from playing through stage 1, although these are mostly pretty obvious:

-the stage number is never displayed, since it shows your remaining lives at the beginning of a stage instead. (the remaining lives number was removed from the pause screen)
-there are 1-Ups! wow! and you have to be mentally handicapped if you can't figure out how to get the 1-Up in 1-1. Kinda interesting since in the released version there was no way to ever get more than 3 lives, you couldn't even earn extra lives through points. [EDIT: oh, BMF already mentioned this, right]
-the red dude (ninja?) chilling out right before the boss takes a hell of a lot more hits. At least twice as many.
-I could be wrong on this, but the AI behavior of the first boss seems to be completely different. It used to be you could just hang out on the left side of the screen and attack him when he comes down. Now, you HAVE to move to the other side of the screen to get him to swoop down if you're on the half of the screen where he's shooting fireballs from. This makes him a bit tougher since you gotta keep running back and forth just to get him to come down.

if I notice anything else later I'll edit this.

EDIT: okay, the only other major change I noticed was the "tanks" that start appearing in 3-2 are fucking FAST. They zip back and forth and shoot at you way too often. I have no idea how you're supposed to get by those without taking a hit, unless you keep jumping and using the pistol/triple-shot from the other edge of the screen, but they're usually on platforms where you can't hit them like that. Good fucking call toning down that shit in the released version.

The end sure is odd without having to fight the Joker. I always thought it was odd that you had to fight that one cheapass fucker (well, cheap until you figure out the pattern) first, and THEN you fight the Joker... why was he even there in the first place? I suppose Sunsoft thought he was difficult enough to make a good last boss, but it's pretty anticlimatic to have a last boss that isn't the Joker. So then they put the Joker into the game, made him 10 feet tall and able to summon lightning bolts (...what?), but instead of replacing that other boss entirely, they decided to leave him there so you have to fight both of them in a row. Whatever. (oh, and of course they changed the ending to reflect the ending of the movie)

I didn't see any 1-Ups anywhere else in the game aside from that first one. Perhaps they were too lazy to find good locations in any of the levels to "hide" any of them, so they took them out completely.... at least, that's my theory.

well, hopefully someone found that interesting.
AlabasterGothe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for sharing the Batman prototype with us Skrybe, I really appreciate it. ^^' I finished the game yesterday, I kinda like this game better with the cut scenes used in the prototype, it really gives that Batman comic flavor to it.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why they made batman purple in that game. Hes purple in the original cutscenes.
GDRI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamstillhiro1112 wrote:
Now I know why they made batman purple in that game. Hes purple in the original cutscenes.

Interestingly enough, Batman is also purple in SMS Batman Returns.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman is also purple on youtube, if anyone cares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK37g4YWQXE
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update on the Batman rom:

I went and took a closer look at the Nintendo Power preview, and this dumped version is actually a little different from the one in NP. Some examples:

Ignore the film shot, that's obviously NP's addition. The changes are in the text. The dumped game reads "photo journalist" where NP's version has "photojournalist". "Information" is misspelled in the NP version, and "kidnapped" is misspelled in both versions, but in different ways.

The dumped version pans from the thug to Batman in this scene, NP's version apparently lacks this effect. The NP preview had a few more differences from the dumped game, but they were all just small changes in the text. Interesting stuff, though.

I'll have a couple new games up soon.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new stuff is up, courtesy of BMF54123. There's a prototype version of Ninja Jajamaru (aka Squashed), and a PRG1 CHR1 revision of Bart vs. The Space Mutants.

Since I didn't go into detail on my site about the changes in Jajamaru, here's a list BMF made of the differences he found:

BMF54123 wrote:
- Overall, a LOT glitchier than the final version. Sprites are flickery or (in a few cases) totally glitched, between-level transitions are totally whacked (the final version at least attempts to blank the screen before switching levels).
- Light cyan title screen (makes the text kinda hard to read). The TM is orange, not green, though...
- There's a shorter delay before the story sequence begins. A couple tiles are glitched on the second screen, in the upper right corner.
- You start with 3 lives and 3 continues (final has 5 continues). There's "2P CONT" text below Cori's picture when you start a 1 player game (not there in the final). Choosing the "random" option bypasses the "NEXT WORLD - 1" screen. The colors on the first planet are wrong.
- I'm not 100% sure, but I could've sworn I started with the space suit a few times.
- The jetpack makes no sound.
- There are a couple more enemies on level 1.
- The second part of level 1 has a ceiling at the very beginning.
- Upon beating the first boss, it did the usual smiley-face explosion, but instead of 5,000 points, another smiley face appeared and tossed a little white ball towards my character. The rabbit king guy never appeared; it just jumped straight to World 2.
- The life counter doesn't seem to work. It goes up when you get extra lives, but it never goes down.
- The "PLAYER 1 START!" screen plays a tune I've never heard before. The same tune is used on the Game Over screen.
- The second controller activates a couple of debugging functions. Pressing Left flips gravity for all sprites, and A + B warps to the next level.
- The Start button doesn't pause correctly in this version, either. =(

In addition to what he mentioned, I noticed a few graphical tweaks, in particular the level 4 boss and the planet graphics shown when entering a new area. Also, your lives counter always reads "S", regardless of if you're playing as Sakura or Jajamaru. In the final the lives counter changes to "J" if you play as Jajamaru.

And, I didn't post the Batman proto on the old releases page, because I now think it may be an overdump, and I don't want to spread a bad copy around any more than I already have. I'll post a good dump when it's available.
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed theres another Batman prototype available. I found it on Emu-russia. It's most obvious difference is that the jump button is broken and instead it makes you skip levels.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamstillhiro1112 wrote:
I just noticed theres another Batman prototype available. I found it on Emu-russia. It's most obvious difference is that the jump button is broken and instead it makes you skip levels.

I think that was our doing as well!
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it was.

iamstillhiro1112 wrote:
the jump button is broken and instead it makes you skip levels.

It sounds like you've got your controller setup wrong. Controller 1 behaves as normal in the proto, but controller 2 activates a lot of debugging options, including a level skip:

A - Skips to the next stage
B - Refills health
Down - Freezes gameplay
Left + B - Turns on invincibility
Right + B - Turns off invincibility
iamstillhiro1112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right. I had p1 and p2 configured to my controller for some other game and forgot to change it back.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been neglecting my personal site in favor of helping out here with the VC Alternatives, but I've uploaded something nice to make up for the long wait between releases: a prototype version of Sweet Home! The rom is available for download at my place. Enjoy!

Last edited by Skrybe on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
handofg0d

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skrybe!

The first thing I noticed was the lack of broken glass in the first room. Also, the characters, while in that room, come to a stop in two different spots for no reason. Walk side to side just below and just above the top pillars (grey squares) to see what I mean. I wonder why this happens. I'll play through it a bit more to see if I can pick up on any other changes (but, I'm not a Sweet Home expert.)
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Batman Proto Reply with quote

Anybody have a working link for that Batman prototype? I found this thread a bit too late, it seems.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one? The one with the movie cutscenes or the one where the 2nd player controller skips the levels? I think I have both (need to look though).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: