Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 am

New NES dumps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Anyone have a scan of the proto's cartridge?

Here you go. Notice how they used a label from a VHS tape.

Ouch. I was expecting something more formal like the U.S. Championship V-Ball and Double Dragon II samples I've seen once on Yahoo Auction Japan. But I guess it makes sense considering Technos Japan was still starting to make Famicom games.

What about the Double Dragon II sample cart?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob owns Double Dragon II, he'll have to provide a scan. The cartridge never went through my hands, Rob just sent me the rom for hosting.
Tootai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Rob? I bought the Double Dragon 2 sample ages ago on ebay, I even dumped it.

At least I think this is the cart Johnny is referring to:

http://www.famicomworld.com/Prototypes/Double_Dragon_Two_PRO.htm
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootai wrote:
Who's Rob?

rbudrick on the forums here. He has a Double Dragon II NES prototype. It came from a former Nintendo employee, if I'm not mistaken.

Did you post the dump of that Fami Double Dragon II proto, Tootai? I remember you mentioning it to me, but I don't recall ever seeing the rom.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the prototype I saw.

That doesn't really seem that different from the released Famicom version. The differences mentioned in that article are actually changes made in the game's localization, since the Famicom version actually allows you to play the whole game on Easy and Medium with no penalty. Plus you can continue without inputting a cheat code.

I wish someone can uncover a prototype of Double Dragon III with the original translation that was planned for the game.
Tootai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't yet, it might need a redump.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
I wish someone can uncover a prototype of Double Dragon III with the original translation that was planned for the game.

That's news to me, where'd you see this?
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:

That's news to me, where'd you see this?

By simply hacking into the game's rom actually. In case you didn't already know, the plot and dialog are actually quite different in the NES version Double Dragon III compared to the Famicom version. The Famicom version is a bit closer to the arcade version's plot, in which you fight against Cleopatra in the end of the game instead of your possessed girlfriend. For some reason Acclaim didn't like the game's plot, so they changed all the dialog in the game and wrote their own version of the story, renaming the game "Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones".

While hacking into the game's text, I uncovered a line which says "WHEN THE THIRD STONE IS FOUND, ITS POWER WILL CHANGE THE WORLD", which is a rough translation of the final line in the Famicom version and also used in the arcade version. In the NES version, this line isn't used in the game at all (instead it shows you the picture of Hiruko from the intro, telling you what happened to her below).

Additionally, while hacking into the Japanese ROM's graphic data, I found the Tradewest logo, along with the American Technos Inc. logo. It seems that Tradewest originally planned to publish the game here first with American Technos (much like they later did with Super Double Dragon) and somewhere along the lines Acclaim picked up the rights instead.

While were on topic of Technos prototypes, here are the Japanese flyers for Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom) and Double Dragon II for the Famicom.
http://www.gamengai.com/flyer_inf.php?id=513&l=e
http://www.gamengai.com/flyer_inf.php?id=514&l=e

Notice the different shop screens in River City Ransom, and the fact that Double Dragon II is already translated into English (albeit, very poor English from what it looks like).
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I got the DDII proto from DreamTR. I forget. Jason?

The Mickey Mouse Dream Ballon proto I got from Ben Smith, the former NOA GPC.

-Rob
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I was thinking DDII came from Ben Smith too. Checking The Warp Zone, it says the DDII NES proto originally came from Nesman85. There's scans of it there too.

Johnny, I never knew about the change in the plot of DDIII. That's interesting, I'll definitely give a closer look to any prototype versions that surface. Though, I don't think anyone's found any prototypes of DDIII yet, NES or Famicom.

Those early RCR shots remind me of the profile graphics of Kunio and Riki that are in the US release of RCR, but not the Japanese game.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:

Johnny, I never knew about the change in the plot of DDIII. That's interesting, I'll definitely give a closer look to any prototype versions that surface. Though, I don't think anyone's found any prototypes of DDIII yet, NES or Famicom.

There are other differences too. Your character starts off with ten Hit Points more than they do in the American version, the enemy ratio is reduced (the amount of enemies in the 2-Player Mode in the Japanese version is the same amount as the number of enemies in the American 1-Player Mode), Hiruko appears in each stage (not just in stages 1, 3 and 5), the bosses' bodies don't disappear while giving their defeat speech, Hiruko disappears from the player select screen after she dies and the only characters who show up in the ending are the ones you beat the game with.

Quote:
Those early RCR shots remind me of the profile graphics of Kunio and Riki that are in the US release of RCR, but not the Japanese game.

Yeah. I actually extracted them myself and uploaded them at my old abandoned Nekketsu fansite. I think River City Ransom may had actually been based on a less complete build of the game than the master build they used in the JPN version, considering there's only two difficulty settings in comparison to the JPN's three settings.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari section of Kunio Dojo has information of stuff that were cut from the game, including a Kageyama Gakuen gang. Kageyama being the school that Kamijo and Yamamoto (Benny and Clyde in River City Ransom) belongs to.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Spade/8838/fcmonogatari/monogatari11.html
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything else interesting posted there? My Japanese is a bit limited.
Boco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of it is stuff that was cut, but from top to bottom, the articles talk about...

-You can change Kunio and Riki's names on the character select screen
-If you drop a weapon on the roof of the elevator on the school roof, you can't pick it up again
-In Hanazono #3 Park the music changes when you enter the password screen (the water sound goes away)
-In the sauna, you begin washing yourself before your sprite is naked
-Enemies don't carry weapons in the 2nd floor of Reihou Academy, because if they did, it's possible to violate the rule of 3 onscreen weapons (Kunio has 1, Riki has 1, Godai has 1).
-However, that's not true in the case of Kinoshita and Taira, both of whom, like Godai, are supposed to spawn holding weapons but don't because other weapons exist on their screen.
-The first time you fight Yamamoto and Kamijou their dialogue is switched (killing one gives you the dialogue of the other)
-You can use a cheat to get a SMILE in your inventory, and using it gives a weird message
-There are many unused graphics and music in the game, including more female students, a female sauna sprite, graphics of Kunio and Riki crouching, the face shots from the US version, and Yamada using telekinesis (which he has in Jidaigeki and RCRex). Some of the unused music was in the soccer game and some in the x68000 game (which has more levels).
-Many of the gang members are named after Technos staff (there's a list)
-Boss stats are based on a generic character and a school, then they're doubled.. so stats exist for Yamamoto and Kamijou's school. Also, each school has a "level", and the progression is that there's one school for every 2 levels.. but there's no school at level 6 (4th weakest). So the 'missing' school is at level 6 and has the following stats (chart) and should drop 80 yen (level + 2 times 10).
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boco wrote:

-There are many unused graphics and music in the game, including more female students, a female sauna sprite, graphics of Kunio and Riki crouching, the face shots from the US version, and Yamada using telekinesis (which he has in Jidaigeki and RCRex). Some of the unused music was in the soccer game and some in the x68000 game (which has more levels).

They're obviously early sprites for Hasebe and Mami. If you compare one of them with Okoto (Hasebe's character in Jidaigeki), they have the same facial design. The unused music are never actually used in the X68k, but you can listen them in the Sound Test. The unused Ending Theme of the game does appear in the Kunio-kun Sound Collection album, as well as in the GBA version.

There are also unused lines of dialog in the game's rom.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got something a little different today: AV Dragon Mahjang, a previously undumped Hacker International title. It's essentially the same game as Stakk'm on the Maxi 15, but with nudity.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted a prototype of Atlantis no Nazo today. I think Blitzwing will appreciate this one.

I don't remember if we ever definitively figured out how to access that "Key Word Nagoya" room, but I recently found a video of someone demonstrating how it's done.
Gil-Galad

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Posted a prototype of Atlantis no Nazo today. I think Blitzwing will appreciate this one.

I don't remember if we ever definitively figured out how to access that "Key Word Nagoya" room, but I recently found a video of someone demonstrating how it's done.

I just ripped the NSF from the Atlantis no Nazo prototype. I do not notice any differences in the sound driver right off hand. There are 13 tunes in both.

Btw, I also ripped the NSF from AV Dragon Mahjang and will release soon on my website.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cool. I don't expect any really big differences in Atlantis no Nazo, probably just small bugs that were fixed in the final, and little tweaks like the Key Word Kitazumi text.

Feel free to let us know when you post those NSFs.
Gil-Galad

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Ah, cool. I don't expect any really big differences in Atlantis no Nazo, probably just small bugs that were fixed in the final, and little tweaks like the Key Word Kitazumi text.

Feel free to let us know when you post those NSFs.

I most certainly will let you guys know. Probably at the beginning of next month, along with several others that I have ripped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: