Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

Stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoodtoGo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Stuff Reply with quote

So, I've thought about it, really. Ater reading about the cancelation of the PSP keyboard. To the point that I went and read all of the past news articles on the main site.

And I couldn't find anything else on it.

Throughout Lost Levels' entire history, only once has the subject of cancelled peripherals has been brought up. So, I dunno, I guess it's not your primary function, but, seeing some info on some cancelled ideas to play games would be kind of swell. I mean, wouldn't the devices themselves lead to development of games that were canned along with the controllers, and what have you, thus adding to the pile of things unseen.

Unless there were a few articles that I didn't notice, then I look like a jackass. I mean, c'mon, I'm obviously not well versed on the subject, thusly, full of shit. Maybe there's not much beyond The Intellivoice, one of the few things I could find dirt on.

Speaking of dirt, I'm digging a whole.

OK for now,

-Gj
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intellivoice came out. I had one.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the PSP, there was also a tilt sensor that was supposed to come out. It was going to ship with Mercury, you'd tilt the system to direct the blobs. There are working protos out there.

The xbox1 was going to have a camera, but that was canceled and turned into the 360 cam.

There was an ADSL modem for the xbox1, there are working protos out there.

There was a zip drive attachment for both the Dreamcast and the PS2. Iomega tried very hard to get developers to latch on to the idea of zip discs in games, but the load times were way too damn slow. There are a ton of working protos out there for these, but i've yet to see one for sale.

There was a dvd attachment for the dreamcast. It was basicly self contained and didn't need to connect to the dreamcast tho.

The dreamcast Swatch... don't know too much about that one.

Dreamcast MP3 player. No working copies were ever made (at least that i'm aware of). There are a *few* samples out there (i have one) but they don't have any electronics in them. It looks like a modified VMU.

Xbox1 VGA cable. I think microsoft has some of these.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
The dreamcast Swatch... don't know too much about that one.

That was a necklace attachment that let you wear the dreamcast around your neck. See: Flava Flav.
GoodtoGo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I do remember the Dreamcast Swatch, from and old Dreamcast magazine, back in the day...it was an issue where they discussed plans for their internet gaming service, and, if I remember that article correctly, they pretty much described how the internet worked, and how to use a broadband connection for about four pages. Lame.

The Swatch, though, if I remember correctly, was kind of like a VMU you would always have with you. It had all the funtionality of the memory card, plus a watch...and a wristband...though the prototype didn't look like it would fit into the slot too well. SEGA was pushing that damned VMU to the max, even though the screen in mine was fucked from day one. But, it did save games, haha.

I also seem to remember Sony pushing this digital camera that attached to the top of the DualShock, in an even older EGM. It was powered through the USB port, if I'm not mistaken, so, I guess they were planning some face-to-face action.

Oh well, right?

OK for now,

-Gj
drx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was this VR headset for Sega Megadrive. It was piece of shit too. One collector has some prototype games for the VR set.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
For the PSP, there was also a tilt sensor that was supposed to come out. It was going to ship with Mercury, you'd tilt the system to direct the blobs. There are working protos out there.

If that's the same thing as Loco Roco, the commercials and magazine ads still make it look like the game controls that way. At least the ones I've seen in Spain.

About other cancelled peripherals... was the Activator ever released in the US? There's some stuff about it in the inside of the Streets of Rage 3 and Garfield ROMs, for some reason.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a floppy drive for the Master System.

There was a GameBoy to NES adapter by Biederman Labs. I could be mistaken, but I believe they were designing it for Camerica. I believe they were calling it in the proto phase the WideBoy, just like the Intelligent Systems product made for Nintendo.

The NES had a couple of modems, one of which was supposed to be for the Wisconsin or Montana lottery or some shit like that.

And of course, the well-known CD attachment for the SNES.

-Rob
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Minnesota State Lottery.
I remember AdamL (?) mentioning it in his quest to beat every US NES game...
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As useless as it might be, I'd love to see the software for that NES lottery thing dumped.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
About other cancelled peripherals... was the Activator ever released in the US? There's some stuff about it in the inside of the Streets of Rage 3 and Garfield ROMs, for some reason.

I want to say yes, but I've never actually seen one in person.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:

Yes, my friend had one. Absolutely worthless.
GoodtoGo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The activator sold very well in the JCPenny catalouge, as well as Macy's...I remember the box had the most enthusiastic kid...he was such a dweeb...

But then again, I owned a Nubysoft Rumblevest for N64, and, at the time, was much too fat to actually clip it on...so, I just had this loose, shakey thing on my back during rounds of Smash Bros.

And Poke'mon Stadium...Yeah, I suck, but still, I used to make a killing off of that trading card game. I went to a private school during that time, so, the kids would buy the japanease cards at top dollar.

One time, I pulled in $1200 bones in less than three hours. I'm sure I couldn't make as much selling crack.

OK for now,

-Gj
Mister Syd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Activator was released here, I recall seeing quite a few magazine ads showing it off for atleast a two year span and the Eternal Champions manual tells you about certain sensor combinations you can do on the pad in order to pull off character special moves.

Mind you, I haven't seen it myself, but eh.
Jurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple activators on ebay, if for some reason you yearn for totally horrible game input devices
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Power Glove is bad, then the Activator must be badder.
drx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading in some Megadrive official docs that there were peripherals like MD Keyboard or MD Mouse planned.
James

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mega Drive mouse was released, have a look around. I have no idea what games are compatible - Fusion has basic support at best.

There's also an analogue pad for Mega Drive called the Ax1e, or something. Released in Japan. Worked with AfterBurner 2 and a few games - my friend had an Amiga yoke that could also be used with the game.
Jurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wacky world's has mouse support, its not really a 'game' persay though
sebmal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
Mega Drive mouse was released, have a look around. I have no idea what games are compatible - Fusion has basic support at best.

Yeah, I got a mouse for the Genesis. The only game that I know of that uses it is Wacky Worlds (which I also own. Infact I'm prety sure the mouse came with Wacky Worlds).

EDIT: Beaten within a matter of seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: