Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 pm

Research Challenge MEGATHREAD!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Research Challenge MEGATHREAD! Reply with quote

I've been spending the last couple days digging up info on mysterious unreleased NES games on the way awesome (and way old) Grand Nestral Station unreleased NES games list, trying to make sense of some of the titles that have no attached info to them, and I realized that I have a whole forum of people interested in this stuff too, so maybe I don't have to do it all by myself!

This is a thread for research challenges. I'd like us to combine our detective skills and try to solve little mysteries, piece by piece. This information will dramatically help our top secret Lost Levels unreleased games database, where we hope to finally catalogue all the neat ideas and information that tends to get lost and forgotten in message board posts.

Challenge Number One

Our first challenge is something called Airhawk (or Air Hawk, depending on who you ask). What we know about Airhawk is that now-defunct publisher Romstar announced it as an upcoming title, which was reported in the very first issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (cover date May, 1989). The only other mention that we know of, which is also reported on the Grand Nestral list linked above, is in a mailorder ad in EGM #27 - October 1991, nearly 2 1/2 years later.

What we know about its publisher, Romstar, is pretty nicely (though not extensively) covered in its Wikipedia article. We know that Romstar made a business of primarily distributing Japanese games in the American market, mainly for arcades, and that its largest clients were:

Taito
Capcom
SNK
Seta
Toaplan

Here are the games that Romstar published for the NES:

Baseball Stars II (SNK)
Championship Bowling (Athena)
Cowboy Kid (Visco)
Magic Darts (Seta)
Rally Bike (?)
Thunder & Lightning (Athena)
Twin Eagle (Visco)
World Champ (?)

That's probably not TERRIBLY helpful, but hey, it's what we have.

Now, it's pretty safe to assume, I think, that Air Hawk is a shooter of some variety, probably taking place on earth (as in, it's not a space shooter). It might even be a helicopter shooter - it might even be Tiger Heli, which was released in October '89. But that would be a little presumptuous of us, now wouldn't it?

So, I leave it to the forums. Any thoughts or ideas from the detectives and the junior detectives in the crowd?

Last edited by TheRedEye on Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Research Challenge MEGATHREAD! Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Thunder & Lightning (fuck, I used to know this one... ?)

Family Block by Athena
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Research Challenge MEGATHREAD! Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
It might even be a helicopter shooter - it might even be Tiger Heli, which was released in October '89. But that would be a little presumptuous of us, now wouldn't it?

Err...NES Tiger-Heli was released in 1986 in Japan and 1987 in the US.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I guess we can eliminate it!
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say Thundercade (developed by Seta, published by Sammy in 89) until I realised it's a guy on a bike, so calling it Air Hawk probably wouldn't have made much sense. It still plays exactly like a plane-based vertical shooter though... maybe Air Hawk turned into that. Probably not, though.
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twin Eagle came out in October 1989 from Romstar. My uneducated guess would be that Air Hawk turned into Twin Eagle. Maybe digging around in the ROM would turn up some "Air Hawk" text. The Famicom version of Twin Eagle is subtitled "Revenge Joe's Brother" and is actually larger than the US version. Someone smarter than me should be able to dissect both ROMs for clues.
GDRI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaml wrote:
Twin Eagle came out in October 1989 from Romstar. My uneducated guess would be that Air Hawk turned into Twin Eagle. Maybe digging around in the ROM would turn up some "Air Hawk" text. The Famicom version of Twin Eagle is subtitled "Revenge Joe's Brother" and is actually larger than the US version. Someone smarter than me should be able to dissect both ROMs for clues.

The Digital Press guide speculates how that might be the case. But keep in mind, Twin Eagle was the name of the original arcade game (which also had the "Revenge Joe's Brother" subtitle).
dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rally Bike and World Champ are also licensed from Visco, which accounts for every game Visco released on the Famicom. None of the Japan-only SNK/KAC, Athena, or Seta titles look like they'd fit the name.

My first thought was Airwolf -- maybe it's a retooled version of the Kyugo game like Crossfire on the Genesis was.

It's entirely possible this was a game commissioned by Romstar (like Championship Bowling) that naver saw release in Japan (like Baseball Stars II). Maybe a port of Twin Hawk? Taito/Toaplan plane shmup fro 1989, saw a release on them Mega Drive apparently...
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Research Challenge MEGATHREAD! Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Rally Bike (?)
World Champ (?)

Well, Rally Bike was developed by Toaplan, and the arcade version was published by Taito, the NES port by Romstar.

World Champ was developed by Visco (released in JP as Great Boxing: Rush Up, which is a much better name IMHO)

I know this wasn't the main focus of your challenge, but I give what I can.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Research Challenge MEGATHREAD! Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
TheRedEye wrote:

Rally Bike (?)
World Champ (?)

Well, Rally Bike was developed by Toaplan, and the arcade version was published by Taito, the NES port by Romstar.

World Champ was developed by Visco (released in JP as GRATE Boxing: Rush Up, which is a much better name IMHO)

I know this wasn't the main focus of your challenge, but I give what I can.

No, that's good. We're showing that Romstar's NES strategy involved a heavy partnership with Visco, more so than any other Japanese publisher. Unfortunately, I think we're out of Visco candidates!
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While researching Visco, I found that they released Rally Bike (NES) in Japan under the name "Dash Yarou". So to clear that up Toaplan developed and Taito published it in the Arcades. The NES port was (presumabley) developed (ported) and published by Visco in JP and published by Romstar in US.

Other possibilities for Airhawk are:
Sky Soldiers (SNK) Arcade 89
Meta Fox (Seta) Arcade 89
Aqua Jack (Taito) Arcade 90 (Less likely due to technical limitations of the NES)

These are all shmups Romstar brought to the US from the appropriate timeframe that are earth based.

Others are:
Fire Shark (Toaplan) Genesis 90
Air Strike Patrol (Seta) SNES 94 (I'm pushing it)

These are all shmups from the appropriate timeframe that are earth based that are developed by common Romstar partners.

Also, sorry I didn't notice dimitri's post state pretty much the same thing as me about Rally Bike/World Champ.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitri wrote:
Maybe a port of Twin Hawk? Taito/Toaplan plane shmup fro 1989, saw a release on them Mega Drive apparently...

I'm leaning toward this. Twin Hawk would need to be renamed for the West, as its original title was Daisenpo. It's possible that Romstar was announcing the arcade version, and that EGM listed it for the wrong system. That happened to a few games on the big list.

The problem with this little theory is that Romstar didn't release Twin Hawk in the arcades. It was all Taito. Maybe Romstar backed out.

handofg0d wrote:
Other possibilities for Airhawk are:
Sky Soldiers (SNK) Arcade 89
Meta Fox (Seta) Arcade 89
Aqua Jack (Taito) Arcade 90 (Less likely due to technical limitations of the NES)

Another possibility: Fighting Hawk, a Taito shooter from 1988. It was never ported to a home system, though, and I can't find any connection to Romstar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: