Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 am

Global Gladiators "forbidden" sound samples?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Global Gladiators "forbidden" sound samples? Reply with quote

Some time ago I was listening to the Amiga soundtrack for Global Gladiators and noticed how many of the sounds that accompanied the music in the Genesis version were missing (basically all the voices and cartoon SFX), making the title screen and bonus level music quite boring in comparison.

So, I looked through the MOD that held all the music tracks and found out some notes that were actually supposed to play right where these sounds were missing. I looked through the samples list and, unsurprisingly, there were indeed some empty spaces as if the music was complete at first, but they had to be removed for some reason.

After seeing this, I got the Genesis ROM and proceeded to extract the missing sounds and insert them back in said MOD... I didn't even need to change the sample rate or anything and they were already playing flawlessly in their respective places.

So there's this little "mystery". Do you guys know if the reason for removing these could be that Tommy Tallarico held the rights to them, or something like that? It seems so absurd to leave the soundtrack of a game with half the instruments like that. =|
Deeblite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Global Gladiators "forbidden" sound samples? Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:

So there's this little "mystery". Do you guys know if the reason for removing these could be that Tommy Tallarico held the rights to them, or something like that?

Wouldn't surprise me. Tallarico's a dick.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's pretty accessible, I can dig up his email address if you'd like?
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm thinking it might be better to contact the guy who made the port (Andrew Barnabas) instead. He might have a story or two to tell us about his relationship with the Tallarico Studios...

By the way, I see there's some section about this guy in Gamasutra, but it can't be accessed without an account of some sort. =\

For those who want to listen to the original and modified tracks, you can get both here. Note that some music players can't access certain tracks such as the title music, so you might have to use a MOD editor to play them.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.bobandbarn.com/home.php

Looks like he's mostly doing dialogue recording, but he's had some big clients (Heavenly Sword, recording Michael Cain's parts in Batman Begins).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: