Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:48 pm

dreamcast pre production disks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: dreamcast pre production disks Reply with quote

i've seen a couple of these around and thought nothing of them but then i remembered that i actually had a white disk of Sega Bass Fishing...

It's just a simple white disk, with the game title written in a basic blue font with the words "sample only. Not for re-sale, pre-production copy" written on it in various languages. Its obviously a european copy so i doubt its anything exciting and/or new but just thought i'd ask if it is of interest to anyone, I'm guessing it was a magazine review or a store demo copy.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're known as white labels, they're mainly review and preview builds for european DC games. 9 times out of 10 they're identical to the released game.

On the plus side, they boot without a system disc so they play on a normal system.
rolan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have a release copy to compare it to, but yeah id guess its most likely identical then, to be honest its not the worlds most exciting game anyway so its hardly earth shattering even if it might possibly be slightly different. Very Happy
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolan. ROLAN! Are you saying that you aren't going to rip this game to make sure it's identical? I mean, some texture could be three bytes different!!11
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the obvious sarcasm of the previous post, if you do plan on dumping the disc, find someone with a Katana dev kit (HKT-01). That way they'd be dumping the game via SCSI vs. Serial with the coder's cable.
rolan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClamIAm wrote:
rolan. ROLAN! Are you saying that you aren't going to rip this game to make sure it's identical? I mean, some texture could be three bytes different!!11

As much as I'm sure the world needs a version of sega bass fishing thats got an extra 3 bytes difference, I might just leave it until Christmas when no doubt it's release will overshadow the anniversary of the birth of Christ and thus throw the western world into a state of Pagan anarchy...

I really doubt it's any different in any way I just thought I'd ask on here if there was any vague chance it could be anything interesting and programming ace's has nicely cleared it up by telling me that most if not all white disks are identical to the release games. So i dont see the point in wasting everyones time by ripping it and whatnot. (plus i'm err not entirely sure HOW to rip a dreamcast game anyway....) Smile
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a silver disc, it's pressed. If it's pressed, it's final, unless they caught a bug at the very last minute and had to re-press (which I've been told by a former employee almost never happened).
Mark30001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
Aside from the obvious sarcasm of the previous post, if you do plan on dumping the disc, find someone with a Katana dev kit (HKT-01). That way they'd be dumping the game via SCSI vs. Serial with the coder's cable.

I don't think there's any official way of dumping GD-ROM discs via SCSI connection (unless someone codes their own program to do so). The only way I know of is the same coder's cable method, instead with an actual serial cable.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that there was already software out there to do it, but my knowledge of dreamcast is bleak. If you've never heard of it, then i could very well be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: