Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 pm

Mother 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubivore10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Mother 3 Reply with quote

Okay so I read this thing on Starmen.net about this guy who has these bluse disks for the N64DD. These might be the old Mother 3 disks, I think it said. If anybody has any info. that's not on Starmen.net please tell me. I'm sure this would coast a lot of money, but I would really like to have those.
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=97588&postcount=64

Happy reading!
Drakee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand why no one's able to emulate the 64DD. And especially if there's a possible Mother 3 prototype!
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue, as far as I know, isn't that there aren't any people who are capable of writing an emulator for the 64DD so much as it as lack of demand. As an add-on which had a number of memorable games which could be counted on one hand, it just doesn't seem to be something which most people are clamoring for. Out of the various Nintendo systems and add-ons which have been promoted through the years, the 64DD is probably the second least-loved out of them all. Much of the Internet probably just isn't crying for it.

That isn't to say, however, that some of the foundation hasn't been laid for the possibility of it. Some 64DD games were dumped relatively recently and there was some work on an emulator for it, although it was for the PSP, of all things. Additionally, there has been documentation that the BIOS for it can run on conventional emulators if you go through some effort to hack it.

I'll say that if what Corey has actually is indeed Mother 3 data (and playable, at that), it may incite development of a 64DD emulator, assuming it gets dumped and publicly released. But I personally wouldn't be holding my breath. It'll happen, but probably not for a good long while.
Drakee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah, well I care! there has to be a petition or something to get those lazy programmers working on one already. i really wanna play mario artist and simcity 64 already!
handofg0d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So buy a 64DD and copies of Mario Artist and SimCity 64 from eBay. It's not like they are that hard to find.
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play-Asia is also selling a similar kit for a slightly cheaper price here. It doesn't seem to come with as many games as the eBay listing, as I believe that they're just selling at least one of the Mario Talent Studio games that originally came bundled with it. Still, the option's there, although I'd say that upon closer examination, the eBay listing is ultimately the better deal.

But yes, your best bet is to just buy the add-on. I'd check some reviews of some of the games first, though. I don't recall them being overly flattering for most of the games which actually did come out for the system, save for the F-Zero X expansion.
Drakee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
So buy a 64DD and copies of Mario Artist and SimCity 64 from eBay. It's not like they are that hard to find.

well, the whole point of emulating it is so that no one will have to spend over half a grand to play a dozen or so games.

(i'm not gonna lie, i DID have that kind of money a few months back and was actually considering it) Razz
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I knew, Corey needed a part and didn't have the funds to buy it in order to get his complete N64/DD/PC setup going.

While I assume everyone begged and pleaded with him to buy the part, I didn't recall anyone stepping up to offer funds for it, LAUGHING OUT LOUD.

Either my memory on this is wrong, or it was actually a hard to find proprietary part he hadn't found yet AND/or couldn't afford. Maybe we should invite him here to discuss? We might be able to come up with a solution to those discs dumped if we pool resources.

-Rob
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if I recall, Corey did manage to recently nab a Partner 64 kit. But because the computer connectivity with that involves using an ISA card, I think he was trying to find a suitable computer that still has one of those slots on it.

But yes, it was incredibly ironic about how a lot of the community was clamoring for it in a timely manner while not helping with the funds at all. I think a few people tried to contribute, but the fund-raising system which Corey was using wouldn't give the money to him until the contributions reached a certain amount, which they never did. Had they actually been a bit more serious and gave the guy a decent amount of money, I imagine this saga would have been long, long over by now.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this of course is based on pure speculation that these discs have anything substantial on them at all...

Kammendo has made a successful 64DD dumping setup, so maybe we'll see what's on them one of these days, until then, who knows. It's nice to daydream about it being Mother 3, but it's gone from that to everyone assuming that IS what is on the discs. They are commonly reffered to as the "Mother 3 discs" which is just ridiculous. They could contain a tech demo of a dancing golf cart for all we know.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

I know they have "M3" written on them but that could mean anything.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Corey know Kammendo? Until now, I didn't think anyone had a 64DD dumping setup.

-Rob
shawnphase

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do think someone should let him know. ive thought about this a lot lately...i am sure s omany others have as well. even if its not mother 3, it could be something else worthwhile.
Dot50Cal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He knows about it, but from what I have heard he is determined to finish his own setup. He needs one more part if I recall, but Im not sure what it is.
coreycorey2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know if someone would have emailed me or messaged me I'd be able to reply to this topic Smile

Everything is progressing perfectly right now. I have been talking to kammedo. As well as a few other people.

I was just notified today that my Partner 64 kit has arrived. I will hopefully pick it up on wednesday. I should now have everything I could possibly need to boot these disks except a suitable PC and maybe software.

If anyone has software available I'd definitely be interested.

Reidman from Starmen.net might be donating a PIII desktop that will fit an ISA card. This should do the trick.

I had a hard time finding a Partner 64 kit. And whenever one appeared for sale I missed it by a day or two or was short on funds. So I was planning on improvising with a Flash Gang Writer and Blank Development Cart. I din't pass on the Partner 64 kit just incase it didn't work.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeeeet. At long last. Yeah, we probably shoulda emailed you, but I think everyone figured someone else would do it, heh heh. See, we are lazy bastids.

Good to know, Corey! Thanks very much for the update!

-Rob
Phat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, after over two years of assembling materials and hoping, we've come to find the contents of coreycorey's mysterious M3 disks.

One was a copy of Sim City 64, one was a copy of Mario Artist and two were not able to boot. All the results of the test are near the end of the ASSEMbler thread.

I shall now shed a single tear for what may have been.
Konis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phat wrote:
Unfortunately, after over two years of assembling materials and hoping, we've come to find the contents of coreycorey's mysterious M3 disks.

One was a copy of Sim City 64, one was a copy of Mario Artist and two were not able to boot. All the results of the test are near the end of the ASSEMbler thread.

But we still got Sim City 64 and Mario artist protos although Mother 3 would have been cooler.
Drakee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konis wrote:
Phat wrote:

But we still got Sim City 64 and Mario artist protos although Mother 3 would have been cooler.

Love to see the differences in SC 64. Also 64DDs are compatible with US N64s right?
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad ending. I don't play mother, but it would of been interesting to hear about the mother 3 beta anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: