Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:13 am

Terrifying 911?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugnut wrote:
Not to get into a racial thing, but can you shed some light on why it is that SNK fighters are so frigging popular in Mexico?

Since I don't want this thread to be derailed, I'll reply to you in another thread, possibly tomorrow. I'm tired and I still have homework to do. Mmkay?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nateJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
The dumper at my office is a GBC/GBA dumper, so I very well might be able to do it.

Okay Popa, I gotta know. What magical, wonderful, splendiferous place do you work for to get a Game Boy dumper in your office?

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nateJC wrote:
Okay Popa, I gotta know. What magical, wonderful, splendiferous place do you work for to get a Game Boy dumper in your office?

-n

A videogame company OF COURSE.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you never hooked me up with a job up here in Seattle. Two Lost Levels folks in one building would tear down the damn system. *sigh*
treeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear - When I worked at Majesco Sales as a beta tester, they had this cool little device that let us play gameboy advance games on the screen (WAY Before GameBoy Player for GameCube, it had massive black bars on all sides), I was told that it could also dump games, but I never tried. Is this the same thing that your company has?

I have the gba flash for my gameboy advance and you can't dump gbc games with it because when it boots, you're supposed to press some buttons (start and select, I think) to make the Nintendo logo disappear, it only does that with gba games. (Also, playing FF2 Prototype on my gba rules)

It will take a month for me to get the bootlegs (the guy sent them to me with slow-ass shipping, even though I requested EMS), but the queen of fighters has Kuja on it's cover so it doesn't seem to resemble Queen of Fighters PC nor Gal Fighters.

Anybody know of a list of known SNK pirates for GameBoy (doubtful, but you never know)

BTW, I know this is off-topic but I'm too lazy to look for the other post, but my friend claims to have the MK Competition Edition and he says it's identical to the regular version. I haven't tried it myself but it could have just been a blockbuster gimmick to make the uninformed spend money by renting it.

Blah Blah Blah, I'm done...
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three SNK pirate games that I know of:

The King of Fighters 90-something:
This one mixed both Nettou KOF '95 and '96 together. Meaning, it had all the characters from both games, and you could choose among all of them by pressing the Select button on the select screen.

Super Fighters '99:
A Nettou KOF '95 + '96 hack. This one added some extra characters like Chang Koehan, Chin Gentsai the New Face Team (Yashiro Nanakase, Shermie, Chris) and -get this- Shingo Yabuki. Stages and music were original, as were the portrait graphics and intro. But it plays like shit.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves
You must be going "WTF" right now. Someone posted a link to an auction for this pirate original - the graphics resembled the NGPC fighting games. Meaning, the characters took up about a third of the screen and were in really cool SD style. I had the auction saved, but I dunno where that is right now. I'd kill to get that game. Or at least beat someone up.

Oh, and thanks for clearing up that MK cart thing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
treeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune - You didn't happen to save those pics of Mark of the Wolves, did you? I have no idea why I'm getting excited over a gameboy color game :)

Pentarou - Do you have a link to the Yahoo Taiwan auction.

Here's a random question that just popped in my head, are there any fighting game pirates for the MVS/AES? The only one I can think of is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003...

Oh, also, I found Terrifying 9.11 for sale with a gray cartridge instead of black, but I don't want to spend $500 on it. I guess it's not uncommon for pirates to come in all colors.
treeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link:

http://tw.f3.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/c8032880
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cart you mentioned? That's currently at 1000 Taiwan Dollars.

Roughly US $30. :P

I think I deleted the auction. I had it on a backup CDR, but I threw those out a while ago, sorry.

As for pirates, you can get any MVS game as a pirate if you know where to look. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is the only game that has been hacked so much it looks like a new game...

There are others, like SVC Chaos Plus, KOF 2003 Plus, and Samurai Shodown Zero Plus (unrelated to the upcoming SSZ Special that SNK Playmore is going to release). They're basically the same game, only with copy protection issues (bad sound & graphics, it's harder to perform moves) and the bosses are playable. There's a KOF'99 machine near my house that has both versions of Krizalid playable... MVS/AES bootleggers can just take a MAME dump, or a Chinese romhack, burn it to cart, and sell it. There are many of those hacks in my hometown, including a KOF2000 one that had Zero and Kula Diamond as unlocked characters, and I heard rumors of a 2001 machine with Original Zero and Igniz. If that was true, then whoever used Igniz was fucking invincible. (As if having True Krizalid in '99 wasn't enough...)

The thing about these games is that the graphics tend to get messy after some time, which means they may be burned to EEPROMS for all I know. Yep, nothing like using Green Blob Kusanagi against Purple Blob Yagami.

Edit:
Holy shit, that auction has GAROU! Dammit, I wonder if Tetsuo would be willing to win this auction for us... ;_;
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Success-Hk is a bit shady.

Ah, crumbs. Any recommended GBA Piracy Stuff dealers?
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW Electronics is a reputable and cheap store that operates stateside. They only sell flashcards, and only a couple of them at that, but the ezfa is one of the best cards either ways.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but I don't think it backs up normal Gameboy games.
DavidDurica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MW Electronics is a reputable and cheap store

Rock! Thanks. Looks good.
Quote:
Yeah, but I don't think it backs up normal Gameboy games.

Actually, I was only looking for emuing on the GBA with that question. After N did the FamiMini stuff at Y2000 a pop, I decided to just get a flash ram cart to emu out of spite. I had been at "one of these days" on GBA emuing for a while, but that much for a no-frills Famicom re-release put me over the edge.
As for copying 911, I'm just as happy getting help from someone else. The only other GB cart I have that's in any way unusual is a multi, and that's mostly interesting because I got it at a Gamestop.
treeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's right, I forgot about the plus hacks. I own Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 and SNK Vs. Capcom Chaos for my MVS, so I have a question about the EEPROMS, how long should I expect these carts to last? (I had no idea my SVC Chaos was a bootleg until I found out that it wasn't released as an MVS cart, it is a dedicated JAMMA board)
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
Oh that's right, I forgot about the plus hacks. I own Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 and SNK Vs. Capcom Chaos for my MVS, so I have a question about the EEPROMS, how long should I expect these carts to last? (I had no idea my SVC Chaos was a bootleg until I found out that it wasn't released as an MVS cart, it is a dedicated JAMMA board)

I have a Quartet arcade board, circa 1986, that uses EPROMs and still plays fine. There are also a lot of Atari 2600 protos floating around that still work (though probably not for much longer). You'll probably get a good couple of decades or more out of your carts.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
had no idea my SVC Chaos was a bootleg until I found out that it wasn't released as an MVS cart, it is a dedicated JAMMA board

Er...

It -was- released as a cart months after the game was released on JAMMA format. Right?

Where did you read this? I could've sworn that the game was released in cart form afterwards...
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
PopaSmear - When I worked at Majesco Sales as a beta tester, they had this cool little device that let us play gameboy advance games on the screen (WAY Before GameBoy Player for GameCube, it had massive black bars on all sides), I was told that it could also dump games, but I never tried. Is this the same thing that your company has?

No, this is a little box my boss has connected to his computer, primarily for trying out games i guess, but it has a completely different port for putting in carts. I dunno really, I just know that he said it dumps both GBA and GBC. It even says that on the side.
treeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, never heard of that...sounds cool (and collectible)

As for the SVC Chaos being releases as a MVS cart, I've heard that too but I can't say I've come across it, it's not in auctions, stores that sell MVS carts don't have it (at least in the ones I've checked). I know it was released as an AES for a fact, but I haven't seen the MVS one (except for the bootleg one I have).

BMF54123 - thanks, takes a load off my mind, I was thinking a couple years of use and it would die...
DarthTron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on any of DE pirate carts getting Dumped

If/When they get dumped i can host them on my website if you guys like....... it is: www.Darthtron.com it is still a work in proggess so there is not much in it yet really much point in going to it right now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: