Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 am

So, next gen Bionic Commando...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of "two player cooperative swinging", but I still bust a nut. Get out of here, you nerd!
Fredde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Get out of here, you nerd!

I'm so glad they kept that in. Let's hope they keep the rest of that kind of dialouge in. And that Master D will still be strangely familiar.
handofg0d

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally somebody understands what I want out of a classic 2D game being remade for the modern console. This is 100% pure awesome not from concentrate.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE, IT ONLY TOOK A FUCKING DECADE TO COME OUT WITH A GOOD CONSOLE 2-D SIDESCROLLER!!!

I'm so buying the shit out of this the moment it drops on PSN. The PS3 has ass in the way of download-only titles, so even if it's not exclusive (like I play console warrior to begin with), it's good to see something that's not completely retarded that I can purchase. I mean, "Pain"? You're shitting me, right?

Hell, if Rearmed's done with justice, it might actually convince me to purchase the new BC. Especially if I can replace Dreads Spencer with oldschool Ladd/Radd version.

http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x?gallery=9064&game_id=4944&id=112337
I sure as hell hope that's supposed to be Generalissimo Kilt, and not Master D. Either way, I love the shit out of Toshiaki Mori's work.

Someone want to give me a obscenities count?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
GEE, IT ONLY TOOK A FUCKING DECADE TO COME OUT WITH A GOOD CONSOLE 2-D SIDESCROLLER!!!

TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
pics

I said a good one. Some of those aren't even platform games (which is kind of what I meant, but, whoops), and most of the ones that are platformers aren't that good.

Odin Sphere was probably one the most overrated titles of 2007 in which you're spending most of your time running around in circles planting seeds or micromanaging items and fighting the same monsters over and over again. Viewtiful Joe was an average platformer with a nice gimmick. Alien Homnid was worth what I paid for; $7. The Metal Slugs were just straight unaltered ports of the originals on Neo Geo.

Super Paper Mario... now that I remembered after I made this post. I haven't played it, but it's definitely something I'd pick up when/if I get a Wii.

As far as the ones I didn't list (not counting Gradius 5 or the other space shooters), are those for portables? Because I know the DS and PSP have good 2D titles, but I was more referring to something I can play on my TV. And if it's on GameCube, well then I missed it like a chump so I guess I would be wrong.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What...what are all of these? Are they fun?
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all home console titles, not portable. In order:

Alien Hominid
Viewtiful Joe
Odin Sphere
Super Paper Mario
Gradius V
R-Type Final
Metal Slug 6
Sol Divide
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Mega Man something Network something
Exit (Xbox 360 version)
Prince of Persia Classic
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
What...what are all of these? Are they fun?

Other than the ones I already commented on, I can't give an honest opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about Gradius 5 (IIRC that was developed by Treasure) and R-Type Final, but the others I don't know too much about. The Megaman Battle Network one on GameCube I've heard was pretty decent if you liked the new style Megaman games, but it's very hard to find.

Exit looks really interesting though. I think I may have seen ONE mention of it, ever. Had no clue it was a console title.

(seriously, I'm pretty livid with all the jerks who recommended Odin Sphere.)
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Treasure had a hand in Gradius 5. If you're into shooters, both it and R-Type Final are awesome.
Boco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Slug 6 is a new game, not a port (though the other 6 games in the collection are ports).

Rockman EXE Transmission is a really good game, one of my favorite Rockman games. It plays like an original series NES title, but with a Metroid-style huge connected map, and instead of master weapons you have the card-battle system from the EXE games on GBA (you make a deck of cards which represent special attacks, and each 'turn' (about 8 seconds) you draw a new hand, which are the attacks you can use aside from your buster during that time... it takes some getting used to but I like it better than weapon energy micromanagement (which usually ment 'not using master weapons except on bosses') in the earlier games). My only criticism is the bosses... because of the RPG-style ever-increasing-HP and the like, the early bosses are very difficult and the later bosses are jokes. It would've been nice if the earlier bosses were easier so you could get to the meaty exploration fun part of the game quicker, and the later (and optional) bosses much harder so you have to work to beat them.

So it's not perfect, but it's really good nonetheless and definitely worth my $30.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this where we talk about games we like? Cool!

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is pretty much the best platformer released in the last...however long ago it was released. All the people who said that it was too short are probably the same jerks who liked Odin Sphere.

Gradius V is the best horizontally scrolling shooter of all time. The R-Types are okay, too.

Man, nobody's ever heard of Sol Divide. It's sad that I recognized it by screenshot alone.

Super Paper Mario needs a massive script trim. It could totally be just as funny with half the words.

Metal Slug 6 ALMOST nails what made the first few so fun, but then it turns to bullshit in the last couple of stages. Bet you anything MS7's going to be the same way.

That's all I got!
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sardius wrote:

Metal Slug 6 ALMOST nails what made the first few so fun, but then it turns to bullshit in the last couple of stages. Bet you anything MS7's going to be the same way.

If you forced me to play every Metal Slug game after 2 without looking at the title screen, I would probably think they're all the same game. Seriously, I lost track. That's either a good thing or a really bad thing.

I've heard of Sol Divide, haven't seen much in terms of screen shots. I feel bad, I haven't really been up to speed when it comes to shooters. Looks a lot like Forgotten Worlds, but I'm going to guess it's nothing like it, yeah?

Re-Rail: I was looking at Capcom's official BC site before nodding off, mainly on story tidbits. Looks like they are still, sort of, still referencing the "Rad" name for the new story instead of completely retconning it. According to "Nathan Spencer"'s profile:

Quote:
He was given the codename "Research and Development #1", or "RAD #1" for short; the nickname soon stuck, and many continued to call him "Rad" Spencer for years.

Even "Super Joe" is mentioned as "'Super' Joseph Gibson". If you've ever actually looked at the Street Fighter/Final Fight universe's story line, you'd see why I'm actually amazed they managed to flesh out the story while not saying "remember this part in the last version of the game? Pretend it didn't happen."

Well, except for the whole Nazi thing, but it looks like they're hinting that they may leave Master D as a Hitler lookalike.

Now I'm just hoping the 3D game will live up to it's name.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am I really the only one who played Alien Hominid?
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and love Alien Hominid. I have the GC version, and as a matter of fact, I played it on my Wii the other night. DreamTR was selling a NR Reader copy and I was going to buy it but I lost the NR-Reader auction I was bidding on so it would have been kinda useless to me. I love that game so much and can't wait for Castle Crashers.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I think I might've bought it on XBLA, but never got around to even starting it. (That happens a lot... Blame work, backlog and friends)

Ichiban Crush wrote:

Re-Rail: I was looking at Capcom's official BC site before nodding off, mainly on story tidbits. Looks like they are still, sort of, still referencing the "Rad" name for the new story instead of completely retconning it. According to "Nathan Spencer"'s profile:

Quote:
He was given the codename "Research and Development #1", or "RAD #1" for short; the nickname soon stuck, and many continued to call him "Rad" Spencer for years.

Even "Super Joe" is mentioned as "'Super' Joseph Gibson". If you've ever actually looked at the Street Fighter/Final Fight universe's story line, you'd see why I'm actually amazed they managed to flesh out the story while not saying "remember this part in the last version of the game? Pretend it didn't happen."

Well, except for the whole Nazi thing, but it looks like they're hinting that they may leave Master D as a Hitler lookalike.

Now I'm just hoping the 3D game will live up to it's name.

BionicCommando.com wrote:
the "Master DNA Program" - which the Imperials referred to as Master-D - their plan to revive a long-dead dictator, whom they called only The Leader.

I'm just in love with this resurrection of Bionic Commando.
Videos look promising, music is fantastic, dev team seems great and I love the official site + podcast.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle Crashers is taking frickin forever. I thought that was going to be out somewhere closer to 2006...

Honestly, Gradius 5 and R-Type Final are perfection in the genre. And if you really want to stretch that 10 year window, Einhander came out in october of 97. Sony didn't know it at the time, but that game was meant to be played on the PSP...

I played through exit on the PSP, but the thing that drove me crazy were the jumps. The jumps were a lot like Super Ghouls and Ghosts where you can only have one trajectory. You ended up over jumping or underjumping a lot of the time, kinda bad for a platformer. I'm not sure if that was corrected on the 360.

If you're still counting portables, you're forgetting the awesome Guardian Heroes for the GBA. Treasure platforming at it's finest...
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I bought it shortly after I came back to Athens. From a grand point of view, the controls were a tad off, it wasn't exactly the smoothest game in terms of scrolling, and... well, I guess it just didn't hit me as an Ichi-Grade System A+ title, mostly because it just feels like a poor man's Metal Slug. Which, yeah, it's supposed to be a Metal Slug homage...

That being said, the "PDA" extras are awesome, Dan Paladin's art has this downsie-charm that I can't even begin to describe, and for a game originally developed on Flash, it holds itself well as a bargain bin title. Maybe I should give it another whirl sometime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: