Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

Star Force NES Variant label/review copy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcescott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Star Force NES Variant label/review copy Reply with quote

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/frontSF.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/backSF.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/topSF.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/innards.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/SFinnardsSIDE2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/bank1.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/bank2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/dcescott/SForiginal.jpg

First post here. A fellow staffer at this site shot me the link to this forum from Digitpress. I found this yesterday at my local flea market. Very cool. It will be dumped soon to check for differences. It's an english version of Star Force, but burned on a 60 pin EEPROM chip set & set up like Stackup with the 60 to 72 pin adapter inside. I don't run across anything like this and it's quite a thrill to find it in the wild. Thanks guys, I look forward to the fellowship here.
Daniel
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. The US version of Star Force improved on the graphics and music from the Fami version, so the cart you have could be midway through the transition.
dcescott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man,
How do I price these things? I tell you the truth, after years of hunting for games, this one stuck from the rest. I was about to buy Klashball and Ultimate Stuntman when I noticed the stars on the end of the sticker, I knew it was Star Force but it wasn't supposed to be that way. I thought, cool label variant and possible prototype. Plus I could tell there was an adapter inside by looking at the pins/5 screws and extra weight.

Well the status quo says it's a advanced copy or review/promo copy. Is there others like this to compare the game to?
shawnphase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, nice find! good to see theres still stuff like this out there that you can pick up at flea markets and the like.
dcescott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
The guy I got it from I've been buying from him since 02. He had a stash in the back of stuff he didn't know how to price or what they were. I got it for 25. Gonna dump it soon...
dcescott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need the information from the staffers here to get this sent, dumped, documented and sent back. I don't know Blitz256's handle over here from digitpress. But he's a staffer here at LostLevels. That's all I know. I do want to contribute out of curiosity of the how much different it is from the NTSC version. Thanks again!
Daniel
handofg0d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcescott wrote:
I don't know Blitz256's handle over here from digitpress.

That'd be Blitzwing:
http://forums.lostlevels.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=50
dcescott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangit, forgot the wing part... thanks!
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that, a lost levels staff member owns a pink power ranger website.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deespence2929 wrote:
How about that, a lost levels staff member owns a pink power ranger website.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed. Could be worse, you know?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcescott wrote:
How do I price these things?

Personally, I don't know what the value of NES protos is on the collector market these days. That's probably better answered by the guys at Digital Press.

dcescott wrote:
Is there others like this to compare the game to?

There's at least one other Star Force demo/review copy that's been found, and it looks like the one you have. They were probably produced at the same time, even the handwriting on the EPROMs looks the same.

If you need someone to dump this, I can definitely do it. I'll even reimburse you for shipping, if you like. PM me and I'll get you my mailing address.

Did the guy you got this from have anything else interesting?
dcescott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he did and does. Three years ago an ex Philips CD-I worker unloaded a boatload of demos on him. Even though it was CD-I, everything was legit and clearly marked property of Philips, etc. , all the Zeldas, the weird Mario Hotel, that Voyer game.... all demos. He has every popular console, some hard to get one, some game and watches.

He has a good selection of NES titles there to fill the holes in your collection, just be ready to pay 10-20 and sometimes in the 30-50 range. He had Little Samson marked at 30, loose. He did have a sealed Little Samson, but sold it on ebay I think. I saw Panic Restaurant, a few Mega Man titles, a lot of the Camerica games. Dragon Warrior II & IV. Had one with the map, and sold it for 50 bucks.

I really need to do my homework on the famicom titles, he had a good amount of pirate and legit fami games packed up somewhere in there. I know he doesn't have Doki Doki Panic.

PM is coming.
dcescott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i just checked out the Warp Zone proto. I feel much knowing my label is in better shape! Also why did they over photoshop the picture of the rom chip??
And so does this mean it's a proto? or a review/advanced copy? Anyhoo. I sent the PM, dumping this will clear the air some.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also why did they over photoshop the picture of the rom chip??

I don't think that's a photoshop. Looks more like the end result of putting it on the scanner.

Also, sweet fine. Gotta love that random little stuff like this shows up in the wild every now and then.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say its fair to consider this a prototype, simply because of the human marking on it and the fact that its not fully machine made. if anything they probably made a certain number of these and put them out there for playtesting close to release as opposed to keeping it in house. i'm really interested to see what kind of info can be uncovered about this cart though, really great to see that you were able to pick this up and not get gouged on the price for it.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
Very nice. The US version of Star Force improved on the graphics and music from the Fami version, so the cart you have could be midway through the transition.

What, all two songs were improved?

You know, I never noticed any change in the graphics either.

Funny thing, the US version of Star Force has an ending that says "Coming soon, Super Star Force." As we all know, that only came out in Japan, but as far as I know, the Japanese version does not have that ending. Kind of a funny irony there.

The reason I don't think the Japanese version has any such ending is that I beat a pirate version of it,and there wasn't one. Maybe it was just a hack of the US version.

When I went to use Game Genie codes on the official Japanese version, none worked. In fact, I looked at the rom to find the same snippet of code that would be altered and it were as if the entire game was different. I couldnt find anything that matched. It was like someone else wrote the same game with different code.

Is the NES version of Star Force the only one with an ending at all?

-Rob
dcescott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe, sent a PM last night, I can send it the next day if needed.

Rob, playing through a couple rounds on each, I found no difference either, I haven't checked my pirate HK copy, I'm sure the game is on one of my 84-1 's. Then again, I am nowhere close to being an expert.

Can't wait to get this dumped!
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel, I sent you my address.

The changes in the graphics and music between the NES and Fami versions are admittedly subtle, but they are there. Also, the two games use different types of boards, and the rom for the NES version is larger, so the games are different from a technical standpoint as well. I don't know if that ending is unique to the US version, Rob, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good i'm glad you got in contact with him ,welcome to the boards and all that jazz.

and yeah that pink ranger web page is totally oldskool, I never had the heart to delete it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we 100% sure the dumped jap version is an original and not one of the billion pirates?

I've a couple legit copies of 1 and 2, maybe we should redump both of em just to be 100% sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: