Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

A little bit of SNES!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: A little bit of SNES! Reply with quote

Right before I left my poor home again, I was planning to scan a bunch of random stuff from some old gaming magazines. Unfortunately, my scanner was still behaving like crap and as a tiny backup solution before I jumped out the window to catch a flight, I used my shitty digital camera to take some quick snaps and totally forgot to write down the dates/issues/pages for some of this stuff.

Also, these were all taken from issues of "Nintendo Magasinet" or "Power Player" (aka. Super Play/Super Power), what more or less served as the official Nintendo Magazine back in the early 90s in Scandinavia, until they went multi-platform in the mid-90s.

Anyway, sometime in the future, I'll get around to scanning things properly + scan a two page article about the Human Entertainment school for video game development + a two page article about an unreleased Snes game called "Dorque & Imp". (Unseen has the pictures from that article + I know someone had scans of the Swedish version of this article up before).

I should have a two page "preview/making of" article on some Super FX game too, think it was for Dirt Racer FX.

But anyway, enough talk!

Dirt Racer SFX

Rough translation:
Elite has dropped Power Slide and has instead put together a new and much more cooler racing game with a built in Super FX chip.
Dirt Racer SFX is a off-road game that is somewhat similar to Stunt Race FX, but has a more realistic feel to it. You can chose between 3 vehicles; Dune Buggy, 4x4 Monster Truck or the Off-Roader, all with their own unique specialities. Dirt Racer SFX will be released in May.

FX Trax

Yeah yeah, I know, shitty picture. But this is an early picture of what I assume became Stunt Race FX.

Stunt Race FX (Prototype), Sound Fantasy and Kirby's Tee Shot

No text to translate. Stunt Race FX has a non-final HUD; which is why I didn't crop it out.

FX Fighter

Rough translation:
Virtual fighting for the Snes
Sega has had enormous success with their game Virtua Fighter, and it's not really unexpected that a somewhat similar game is now on the way to the Snes. Utilizing the Super FX. It's the English Argonaut Software that once again is responsible for the programming, and this time the publisher is GTE. Argonaut demonstrated its power for the first time by producing Starwing (Star Fox) for Nintendo. Their next Super FX game, Vortex, was a rather embarrassing story. We don't know yet how things will go with FX Fighter, as their new game is called, but the first pictures of it doesn't look as impressive as what we've seen in Virtua Fighter. We will just have to wait and see how the final result looks early this summer.

Power Slide

Rough shitty translation:
Elite's PowerSlide is the Super FX game we've heard the least talk about, and that might not be so strange. Elite is a relatively small company that can't put out nearly as much money on marketing as Nintendo can...

Having had smaller success with games like Striker, Dr. Franken, Joe & Mac on their record has made Elite dare itself to try to make their own Super FX-based racing game. PowerSlide is developed for 3DO, PC CD-ROM and Snes, and will according to the schedule be released in England in good time before christmas.

Elite's trick to compete with Stunt Race FX is to try to offer a more realistic driving game, with cars that behaves just like they do in reality. They have even hired experts who works with computer simulation of car design and driving skills for car producers. And claim they have put a lot of attention to all the details and that they have even managed to create a car that responds to how the tires grips on the surface you're driving on. Like if your left wheel drives over an ice spot, you will spin and slide on that side. Just like in Stunt Race FX, you can chose between 3 vehicles, and there is a two player mode with Split-screen. The game offers a variety of environments to drive in, from Wales to Scandinavian Glaciers.

Elite is so sure that PowerSlide will be a hit that they've already started to work with their follow up title, Dirt Race, which is also a Super FX game and is expected to come out sometime next year.

Note: I think the descriptions for Screenshot 1 and 3 have accidently been swapped.

Screenshot 1:
The graphics in the SNES version might not be very impressive. This picture is taken from an early beta version. We can promise that the driving experience itself was totally ok.

Screenshot 2:
A big thumbs up is that you can drive anywhere in the landscape. Elite has actually managed to get rid of the way too common feeling of driving on rails.

Screenshot 3:
As you can see, the CD-ROM version offers noticeably better graphics, but when it comes to the game experience, the SNES version isn't far behind.

Can also add that at the bottom of that last article, there were 2 notes about other SFX games:

Starwing 2 (Star Fox 2):
-No one in the game industry will at the moment admit to knowing anything about Starwing II, but we believe the coding for it is happening as we write this - somewhere in a place not too far from Colindal in London...
As far as we know, the game will contain a two player mode (with horizontal split-screen). We will come back with more when the right people speak up.

Mike Powell:
-Mike Powell is the man who had the original idea for Vortex. He worked out the storyline, programmed the game and made parts of the design and the 3D construction.
"The game idea is mine. At that time, Argonaut Software contacted various people in the game industry to get them to do stuff for the new Super FX chip, and I took the bait. Vortex is an original game, there is no licenses or connections to anything else. Originally, it was meant to build upon Starwing, an attempt at introducing 3D on the Snes. Starwing was the first 3D game. Its design was very linear, while this is a much more open game. You can go wherever you want in your world, and you can take many more decissions, like for instance what you want to transform yourself into. You can also for instance take a full stop and look around on your surroundings. You could say that this is a more intellectual experience, in one kinda way."

Only reason I bothered with translating the two things below PowerSlide (not even shown in the picture I put up) is because Mike Powell points out that Vortex is not a license game and it seems like several people suspect the unreleased/rumored/announced/whatever Transformers game for the Snes to've been turned into Vortex
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post and thank you. Its interesting to see information other countries received in interviews that other countries never knew.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: