Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

Star Force NES Variant label/review copy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcescott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

???
Oh from Rob's argument? Yeah I would redump 1 and 2 just to know and compare it to what I'm sending over. Just to see how much was tweaked here and there. I cant tell the difference yet from playing both the last couple days.
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes the differneces are so minute they are missed till the roms are compared.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to GoodNES, Star Force (J) is a good dump. Super Star Force is unverified. If someone wants to send either or both games my way, I'll gladly redump them so we can confirm they're good copies.
dcescott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrybe,
Just sent a pm! thanks again!
Daniel
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are we 100% sure the dumped jap version is an original and not one of the billion pirates?

I've a couple legit copies of 1 and 2, maybe we should redump both of em just to be 100% sure.

I've always wondered the same thing. Wow, I'm really glad this thread came about because I'd love a chance to settle this little mystery I've had in my mind for nearly 2 decades.

Oh, and anyone ever beaten Super SF? I have no idea what to do in that game and I'd like to see someone go through it in a video, since I don't think I have the patience to ever do it. Maybe if there were a translation patch.

BTW, what's this about 1 and 2 for the fami version?

-Rob
dcescott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 and 2? Just Star Force and Super Star Force for the fami. Just using a little shorthand.
Blitzwing
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pretty far in super star force, but eventually I gave up. tis a confusing game. then i've never been able to finish star force either and i'm pretty good at shooters Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok, I thought you meant there were two roms of Star Force JP.

I have a weird history with Star Force. I got the game around when it came out for Xmas, if I remember correctly. The game kind of sucked: There was only one power up (rapid fire), and NO continues. I think you could get extra lives, but I may even be wrong about that. With 24 levels that are a screaming bitch to get through, no one stands a snowball's chance in Hell to beat it without cheats. I waited patiently and scoured every mag I could to find a cheat, but I don't believe any eggs were built into this game.

Anyway, back in the days before game enhancers, this game drove me crazy. I had this habit back then of calling NOA's game play counsellors for tips and I racked up huge phone bills, causing much drama for the family back then. In fact, I had to sell much of my game collection to make it up, which sparked my collecting craze years later, as I vowed to get them ALL back. I used to call every couple of months to see if anyone at NOA had actually ever beaten the game. A couple times, a rep said they think "one guy here did," but they never knew who, or said they thought he didn't work there anymore. I thought back then that NOA's GPCs were the BEST at videogames in the world (dumb, I know), so if they couldn't do it, then I was determined to try like a mofo. I actually wanted to be a GPC when I grew up. Being the kid in town who ferociously beat nearly every game he touched within days or hours, this game confounded me because I just COULD NOT beat it.

It was a love/hate relationship. I knew the game sorta blew, yet I kept coming back to it. The way the instruction book was written it made many aspects of the game so damned mysterious. The whole Cleopatra head and the mega columns of arrows in that one later section were things I figured I would never find, or see or reach. There were things in the game that were so unnatainable for me that it just ate me up inside knowing I will never discover all the mysteries of StarForce. It was an impossible game.

Years later, I discovered that the game was apparently a huge smash hit in Japanese arcades. I will never know why. I heard rumors that some people could cruise right through that version. The fact that the game came out for every single Japanese PC out there is testament to the game's popularity. I may never know why. Maybe it was for the same reasons I kept coming back. But for me, it was that instruction book that kept me at it! I wanted answer to those damn secrets!

I borrowed a friend's NES Advantage one night for the slo-mo and actually made it to level 16, iirc (maybe it was 21, but I don't think so). I was heartbroken because I didn't think I could ever get that far again, and I never did legitimately (or even with slo-mo, if that's even legit), I think.

So fast forward to when the Game Genie was announced in magazines like EGM and such. I thought it was the greatest most awesome magical invention ever. I just had to have one. I wanted it more than anything EVER. Too bad it was illegal in the US. I think I was 13 at the time. Maybe 12.

They were available in Canada and Xmas was coming up. My mom knew that I wanted it badly and ordered it from some Canadian company I can't recall. I was thrilled when she made the call and ordered it.

I didn't even know if Starforce codes were going to be in the code book. I just prayed they would be. As I prayed, I couldn't wait for the 2-day air shipping to finish shipping and show up. It came a day late and I remember my mom was pissed. In all, she spent $117 to get that gift for me. I think shipping was $18 or something. That's US dollars, folks.

NO ONE I knew had one of these. They were one of those things that a kid just could not convince their parents to import for them. The day it arrived, I simply couldn't wait. I was old enough to have self control, but I was worse than a 5-year old that day. The anticipation was just too much. It was surreal when it showed up. The whole idea of a GG seemed surreal and dream-like to me. I just couldn't believe I was going to own such a mystical device. I opened the FedEx envelope before my mom came home from work, which she was very pissed at me for later, as I wasn't supposed to use the GG until Xmas.

The very first game I loaded up was StarForce. The book had Starforce codes! "Thank God," I thought. I played through that sumbitch as fast as I could. I think I thought I could get it back in the envelope in time and my mom wouldn't question that I opened it. I really didn't care about the repurcussions at that point. I just HAD to know if Starforce had an ending and what it was like.

That shitty, but ironic ending had me wondering until this day what the Japanese ending was like. I've played the roms using save states, but I never did know if it was the pirate rom I was playing. I have a Japanese pirate FC cart that I'm pretty positive is the US release, and then I've got the Japanese official cart, which I don't have working GG codes for. The pirate rom has no ending. The cpongrats/Super STar Force screen never appears....it just goes to level infinity like the US version does after the ending.

Anyway, I thought I'd share that piece of lore so you have some backstory to my history and intriugue of this game.

But lemme tell you. It was awesome to be the only kid who had a Game Genie for about a year. Major bragging rights as a kid.

I still wanna see a translation of SSF and see a speed run or something. I want to know all the secrets of that game too, but I may never know them either. Maybe I should leave some mystery about the series.

-Rob
handofg0d

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I actually read all of that.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!

(actually, I guess that was kind of buttery)
dcescott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, ......yeah uuh.....right.

okay I cant figure out the butter joke. It's buttered all over these forums. Help a brother out will ya?
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first you must pay dur 2k monies.

(i feel dirty now)
handofg0d

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcescott wrote:
haha, ......yeah uuh.....right.

okay I cant figure out the butter joke. It's buttered all over these forums. Help a brother out will ya?

Here's your homework:
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71891
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Super Star Force, someone who had recently beat the game emailed me his notes when I was working on a page for it on my old website, several years ago. I never got around to beating the game, but it seems like it wouldn't be difficult to do with his walkthrough:

Quote:
Partial Walk-through of SSF

1. shoot the largest fossil in 1608 to open up a cavern.

2. shoot at the egg in 1301 to make a pyramid appear in 1608.

3. fire at the right center of the lake in 1003 to make a bird-shaped island appear in 1301.

4. The maps of 1608 and 2010 in http://n-beetle.net/jp/Game/SuperStarForce/ show places of hidden doors, which if you enter the rooms, someone will give a bird-like object to you. By collecting 4 of these, you can enter the dungeon of 330.

5. If you give the statue from the being in 820 and give it to the one in 1301, you will make a fortress to appear in 820. To receive the second gem, go to the center bottom room then out to the parapets of the fortress. If you bomb two doors to the left, a door will appear.

6. How to make pyramid in 1003 appear: use the sun lamp and dry up water in fortress in 820. (You must be in the center of the fountain) Somewhere there must be some bomb since someone in that 360 asked for a bomb from 1003. Warning: do not finish this level at the end, and instead, get the bomb first. You may have to turn off the bomb cheat.

7. In the pyramids of 1003 and the dungeon of DA 1, there is a golden archway. Use the cross there to pass under to the other side.

8. At DA 1, shoot at a volcano in the right hand side of the screen to make a dungeon appear, but enter the exit before the monster gets you. (If that happens, it is game over)

9. Somewhere in the pyramid a being sells some explosives. Give them to the being in the dungeon in 316 before exiting that dungeon.

10. Go to the right hand corridor and ignore pleas to go back. The other corridors are not only useless, they can lead to a certain death.

11. When you are near the sun pillars, blow up a hole in the wall. Inside is the character I mentioned earlier in 7.

12. Behind the "triceratops" is another hidden door, leading to a strange room with two pillars with sun patterns. If you walk between them, you will light up temporarily. If you gave the explosives to the character, hurry over to the blocked room, which will open if you are still shining.

13. DA 1 is the last dungeon. First, look in the rooms before the arch to see if there is anything special left. When you get all that is available, go to the golden arch. Use the cross the same way as you did in 1003, then get the gem.

14. You are not done yet! Return to 820 then visit the hole near the fountain. (This will only appear after you obtained the gems) Here you will receive the last trinket of the game, a "Cleopatra" stone head.

15. Finally, return to the DA 1, where you will fight Gordess. Winning the battle warps you directly to BC 2137. Go into the first cave you see and place the gems in their holders. As time is running out, you need to go in the correct order, as previously mentioned in the Super Star Force pages. Good luck!

P.S. If you destroy Gordess first, you will automatically warp to BC 2137, but when the level ends, the ending says that Gordess rose from the dead and entrapped your friend forever. Make several save states to ensure you can recover if anything goes wrong.

Credit to Hugo Lowenstein for the walkthrough.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I remember renting a Game Genie at Blockbuster.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClamIAm wrote:
I'm pretty sure I remember renting a Game Genie at Blockbuster.

Hell, I owned two. Is it bad that I have more memories of playing SMB3 multi-jumping and throwing hammers everywhere than I do of just playing the game normally?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
Is it bad that I have more memories of playing SMB3 multi-jumping and throwing hammers everywhere than I do of just playing the game normally?

There are a bunch of games I never beat legitimately, or not until several years after I got them. The Sonic games are a good example.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Is it bad that I have more memories of playing SMB3 multi-jumping and throwing hammers everywhere than I do of just playing the game normally?

There are a bunch of games I never beat legitimately, or not until several years after I got them. The Sonic games are a good example.

Wuss Razz
neomerge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

handofg0d wrote:
I can't believe I actually read all of that.

Me neither but it was a great read. Well written Rob. Your story kept me interested.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
BMF54123 wrote:

Wuss Razz

Hey, debug mode was fun to mess with as a kid. Sad

I did legitimately play through Sonic 3 & Knuckles a few days ago (not the first time, mind you). It's too bad Sonic Team will likely never reach that level of perfection again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: