Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 pm

I hate watermarks!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: I hate watermarks!!! Reply with quote

Not going to name the site, because they need no more attention then they've gotton. However, they watermark every single image of lost video game material. Not the normal images, just the lost stuff. What irritates me so much about this is the fact that they had -zero- to do with the game. They have no right to slap their logo feces all over what could possibly be the only avalible images of long lost materials. And they put it RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF THE IMAGE. Grrrr. Sorry to rant, it's just a pet peeve. I want to preserve games, not claim them as my own for a chance at "net cred." Blech.
Pullmyfinger

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs a hug
Evan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dislike of watermarks has been discussed before on this board. Personally, I hate them as well, and will never incorporate them on my website. However, I cannot control what other people do, and if they feel that the threat of images being stolen will affect the traffic to their site, maybe they should reevaluate why they are doing this hobby in the first place.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, he's becoming malevolent and/or hostile!
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do need a fucking hug. From the waist down plz.

Anywho, I'm talking about the playstation museum. There I said it. However, I have made a routine that makes their watermarks infinitely easy to remove for my site.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna remove the watermark to improve the image quality that's good. But you should at least give them credit for the screen shot. A simple link at the bottom of the screen, or somewhere will do.

They probably watermark the image because far too many people take it without giving credit. It's just like when that guy posted that video of Sonic dying on youtube, and he didnt give credit to Sonic cult because that is where he got that video.

Edit: The point of my last paragraph is that Pachukas site, Sonic cult, made a news statement or something complaining about the uncredited use of their video. It would be ironic if Pachuka does the same and doesn't credit his source.

Last edited by MathUser2929 on Fri May 09, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:
I do need a fucking hug. From the waist down plz.

Anywho, I'm talking about the playstation museum. There I said it. However, I have made a routine that makes their watermarks infinitely easy to remove for my site.

I was with ya up until that point. Are you even asking the people who watermark these things if they're willing to share unmarked copies?

If PSX museum already has all of his unreleased games well cataloged and documented, can't you just shoot a link over to his list of unreleased games? It seems pretty lame to rip his images, wipe the watermark just to put them up on your site.

I'm no fan of PSX museum or watermarks, but he goes through a lot of trouble to get some of those screenshots. He spent years trying to get in touch with some of those developers who gave him exclusive access. Now you're just going to steal the pictures and post them on your site for a half assed list of unreleased games?
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I have zero clue why in the hell people would assume that he's not going to be credited. Secondly, I have harvested those images and removed the watermarks the best i can, and I will be adding them to the website. X-Cult isn't a list of unreleased games, it's a collection of obscure info, which dips a lot into the development of games and unreleased materials.

By the same means if Robert Capa took his wartime shots and plastered his name across them. Sure, they are credited to him, but it's not needed to damage a piece of history. I have zero plan of reposting his crap without crediting him. I just refuse to go willingly along with people who damage the only copy of something to promote themselves.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course you asked him for copies without watermarks and got permission to use his shots, right?
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
But of course you asked him for copies without watermarks and got permission to use his shots, right?

I don't ask permission. I'm not in this for popularity.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:

You realize that what you are doing is exactly the reason why they are putting watermarks on the images in the first place, do you? Simply put, you are an asshole and you think you are entitled to the work and research of others.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
PACHUKA wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:

You realize that what you are doing is exactly the reason why they are putting watermarks on the images in the first place, do you? Simply put, you are an asshole and you think you are entitled to the work and research of others.

That pretty much sums up my style.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:

Something tells me that you just don't give a fuck and nothing i can say will change your mind...

So instead, I'll say this:

I am hereby withdrawing permission, assumed or otherwise, for any representative of X-Cult.org to post audio, video, text or pictures taken from GamerHistory.com, ProgrammingAce.com, or Hackur.com.

I will be filling a letter of intent with the hosting provider of X-Cult.org stating this fact. I will be copying ICANN on this letter.

If any such content should appear, whether posted by a sanctioned site administrator or a forum member, I will file a DMCA take-down notice to the X-Cult.org hosting provider. If that hosting provider refuses to take action, I will petition ICANN to remove DNS records for X-Cult.org until such content is removed. I will be prepared to show in good faith that theft of such content presents an adverse effect on my business relationships and that such steps are necessary to protect future business relations.

Furthermore, I will be personally recommending to any webmaster who publicly shares game related content that may be of interest to X-Cult.org that they should take the same steps to protect their business relations.
Tweaker

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be the most hilarious thing I've read in a long time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
Furthermore, I will be personally recommending to any webmaster who publicly shares game related content that may be of interest to X-Cult.org that they should take the same steps to protect their business relations.

nah.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAss wrote:
PACHUKA wrote:

Something tells me that you just don't give a fuck and nothing i can say will change your mind...

So instead, I'll say this:

I am hereby withdrawing permission, assumed or otherwise, for any representative of X-Cult.org to post audio, video, text or pictures taken from GamerHistory.com, ProgrammingAce.com, or Hackur.com.

I will be filling a letter of intent with the hosting provider of X-Cult.org stating this fact. I will be copying ICANN on this letter.

If any such content should appear, whether posted by a sanctioned site administrator or a forum member, I will file a DMCA take-down notice to the X-Cult.org hosting provider. If that hosting provider refuses to take action, I will petition ICANN to remove DNS records for X-Cult.org until such content is removed. I will be prepared to show in good faith that theft of such content presents an adverse effect on my business relationships and that such steps are necessary to protect future business relations.

If I had a dime for every time I've been treatened with faux legal spillings from the idiotic, I'd have enough cash to pay for legal counsel. =P

How about instead I do whatever it is the fuck I want, and you can act however you like. I've had legal threats from Sega of America, Europe, and Japan, hate mail from Sonic Team, DMCA threats from Nintendo, and countless piss off website owners. And yet I'm still here, still doing the same shit.

So please, go ahead and waste your time. I'll be busy archiving stuff. Peace.

PS: BTW ProgrammingAss, we already have all your mediocre content. Thx.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACHUKA wrote:

PS: BTW ProgrammingAss, we already have all your mediocre content. Thx.

Apparently you do. http://forums.x-cult.org/index.php?showtopic=3784

So i'll be filing the paperwork on Tuesday.

The stupid thing is, if you had just asked i would have given you a zip file with whatever you wanted. Instead you have to be an asshole and start wiping other people's watermarks. Which means i'm going to be an asshole too. And i can be a *giant* asshole.

And i don't even like watermarks...
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go right ahead. I find this tear-inducing funny. Oh, when they come to serve the imaginary paperwork please tell them to bring beer. I'm fresh out and I can't go on being an elite ninja image pirate without a little alcohol in my system.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is worse than IGN!
Tweaker

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this keeps getting better and better.

Though, I should note, in the circumstance that something does happen and my website goes down (it's hosted by CulT's server), then there's going to be a world of shit going down.

Thankfully, I have confidence that won't happen. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: