Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 am

Kid Icarus...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlandsman87

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Kid Icarus...? Reply with quote

Recently, I've been on a huge Kid Icarus kick as of late. Like many people, I am still disappointed that the series never took off like many other Nintendo staples by only having two installments and subsequently disappearing forever.

While we have been treated to many things, such as two ports of the original game (Wii Virtual Console, and the GBA "Classic Nes Series" port...Japanese release only Evil or Very Mad ), the inclusion of Pit and many Kid Icarus characters/elements featured in SSBB, and a possible revival of the series with rumors of a new installment on the Wii (Please, oh please!), there is still that huge 17 year gap where Kid Icarus was forgotten.

Now, I have heard many things - that the second installment in the series (Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, which was on the original Game Boy) was going to get a rehash with a DX release - ala A Link To The Past DX. Or, that there was a possible installment being developed for the SNES. Now that I mention that, I found this forum post while searching for more information -

Quote:
Does anybody else remember the EGM where they spoke about Kid Icarus being developed for the Super Nintendo? It was in Quarterman's column back in about 95 or 96. I threw all my old issues away so I don't remember which one it was.

It said that a KI sequel and another game (can't think of the name), just like Super Metroid before it (remember up until SNES, they were always released as a pair), was very far into development for the SNES but dropped as the companies resources were allocated to N64 development. Nintendo focused all it's efforts to 64, leaving current 16 bit projects behind. It's common knowledge there is a Star Fox 2 for SNES that never got published as well.

I am almost 100% sure this was a real line in Quarterman's column 10 years ago. I hope somebody else remembers this.

Now that I've brought that up, does anyone know what article he is speaking of?

Simply stated, what I want to know is whether or not there are possible prototypes/demos of installments that were never released. Does anyone know of any, or even know of rumors about them? I'm sure if there were, everyone would be all over them...but I simply can't find any information, even after scouring search engines forever.

So, bleh, I guess that's it. Can anyone help out!
Farlight

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a SNES rom called Kid Icarus: Angel Land Story floating around.

It's pretty easy to find at most large SNES rom sites.

I don't know anything about it's origins though.
Redlandsman87

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have that. To my understanding, it was a fan made project that never was finished. It only shows a title screen, and nothing more.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probally the homebrew Icarus title by Jeremy “Y0SHi” Chadwick. It was lame and never went anywhere.
Redlandsman87

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see.

Well, I found this thread, but it seems to simply be fan-mock ups of what the games could have looked like.

http://vgmaps.com/forums/genmessage.php?topic=464

While I don't like the cartoon-y look of the DS Pit, otherwise they look DAMN good. Makes you really wish the series could have lived longer. ;_;
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it more amazing that somebody fabricated maps of the entirety of the cancelled GBC Zelda.
Redlandsman87

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Tale of Courage" or "Mystical Seed of Wisdom" one? Do you by chance have a link to said maps?
Redlandsman87

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait, I found them. Never mind, heh.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Kid Icarus for SNES maps look sweet, but the Sky World was in the sky, not a cave or temple. Also, world 2-1 was clearly a night scene with stars, not a cave with stalagtites and such.

So the rom came out and sucked?

-Rob
Celine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Kid Icarus...? Reply with quote

Redlandsman87 wrote:

Quote:
Does anybody else remember the EGM where they spoke about Kid Icarus being developed for the Super Nintendo? It was in Quarterman's column back in about 95 or 96. I threw all my old issues away so I don't remember which one it was.

It said that a KI sequel and another game (can't think of the name), just like Super Metroid before it (remember up until SNES, they were always released as a pair), was very far into development for the SNES but dropped as the companies resources were allocated to N64 development. Nintendo focused all it's efforts to 64, leaving current 16 bit projects behind. It's common knowledge there is a Star Fox 2 for SNES that never got published as well.

I am almost 100% sure this was a real line in Quarterman's column 10 years ago. I hope somebody else remembers this.

Now that I've brought that up, does anyone know what article he is speaking of?

Simply stated, what I want to know is whether or not there are possible prototypes/demos of installments that were never released. Does anyone know of any, or even know of rumors about them? I'm sure if there were, everyone would be all over them...but I simply can't find any information, even after scouring search engines forever.

So, bleh, I guess that's it. Can anyone help out!

I can be of some help 3 years later ( haven't seen the thread at the time I first joined ).

GameFan 4-3.
Journalist was talking about the upcoming E3 ( 1995 or 1996 if memory serves me right ).

Funny enough I too remember Quarterman talking about it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: