Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

Game Boy pirate multicart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Game Boy pirate multicart Reply with quote

While I was thinking about Wisdom Tree games for Game Boy, it reminded me that I found a Game Boy pirate multicart in a GameStop a few weeks ago. It says it's 30 in 1, but in typical pirate fashion (ARR) it's the same six games repeating.

The games are: Vs. Battler, Pinball Party, Flipull, World Bowling, Motocross Maniacs, and Dr. Mario. At a glance, I didn't see this particular cart mentioned on the internet... but there are a lot of pirate carts out there. If it's of preservational interest to anyone, just let me know.

Front

Back (Love the tiny warning sticker)

Menu

Sorry the pictures aren't very crisp- best I can do for the moment.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameStop sold a pirate cart?

That's... surprising.
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that detail as well. It's obviously something you won't ever see their online branch doing, but I've personally seen a couple of their brick and mortar stores sell abnormal things (by their standards) such as a few imports, so this might not be too terribly surprising, at least to me. Maybe this is just another instance of inadvertent deviation from corporate again? I'm pretty certain that they had been taking anything and everything when it came to GameBoy games while they were still taking them in up until relatively recently, so that's why it probably went under the radar so easily.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be surprised how many of their GB pokemon games are actually pirate carts... Flip a few over and look at the connector.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised too, King. Astonished, really! Like tl said though, some stores deviate a bit from policy. I believe what they did was to file it as a "generic GB game", which placates the inventory system.

They do that with DVDs too- generic DVDs sell for $1.99. At the GameStop I used to work at, employees often took trade-ins on DVDs that weren't in the system (sometimes because they wanted them for themself). One time we got some really insane DVD as a trade-in... Nazi Babes in Space or something. We all laughed about it.

Oh, and great tip, Ace! I'll have to check out the Pokemon carts from now on. It makes sense, given the worldwide popularity.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've seen a really obvious GB pirate in Gamestation (2nd largest chain in the UK, since purchased by the largest, who've fucked it up a bit). it was some golf game or other, but it just said "Game" instead of "Nintendo Game Boy" in the indentation and all the company logos were removed.

i'm sure a lot of used GBA games in stores like that are pirates as well - gba pirates tend to be actually out to deceive, rather than earlier consoles where they were mostly just create a cheap alternative to flog in countries with lax copyright laws. you really have to know what to look for to tell the difference - i'd wager people come in with pirate carts they bought on a dodgy market or on holiday, and the staff just don't know or care.

it would surprise me to see a multicart though, they're always incredibly blatant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: