Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

Socks the Cat to get bootleg release kickstarter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Socks the Cat to get bootleg release kickstarter Reply with quote

Well, there it is.

Not much I am going to say except that I think the hype train left the station several years ago. I look forward to playing this "masterpiece". It will be up there with other Kaneko "masterpieces" like Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool, and Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish kaneko woulda made more shooters honestly. cyvern is definitely in my top 5 shooting games. they made a few good ones but honestly it was probably for the best that they shut down socks. who knows how well it woulda done back then.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens when the kickstarter, to nobody's surprise, utterly flops? Does it just poof out of existence again? And is it going to be a hacked together clone with a bunch of "improvements", or the actual game as it was?

This whole thing reeks of bad ideas.
Evan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game itself was probably through Nintendo's quality control, I doubt there would have been any reason to hack it up. I'm sure that they are releasing it as-is.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the gameplay they showed, theres a nearly impassable wall pretty shortly through the start of the game. whether it's a completed game or whether its good or whether its crap is anyone's guess. my money is on 'someone has to reprogram this to completion'...
Pikointeractive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to one of the people in charge of the game which still working on a daily basis with the lady in charge of Kaneko USA. They said the game was never completed. So me thoughts are that they took so long to rom hack it into a full game.

They also filed for a trademark to try to legitimize it but I don't know if they know a trademark is not copyright. They are going Pabich style with the Cheetahmen.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikointeractive wrote:
I talked to one of the people in charge of the game which still working on a daily basis with the lady in charge of Kaneko USA. They said the game was never completed. So me thoughts are that they took so long to rom hack it into a full game.

They also filed for a trademark to try to legitimize it but I don't know if they know a trademark is not copyright. They are going Pabich style with the Cheetahmen.

I spoke to the guy who programmed the game, and he said it was finished. The fact that it was reviewed by several magazines, including Nintendo Power, also validate the fact that it was complete. They aren't romhacking this to completion, the woman from Kaneko just has a foggy memory of the game (which was likely cancelled due to Kaneko shutting down, not because it was incomplete).
Pikointeractive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Pikointeractive wrote:

I spoke to the guy who programmed the game, and he said it was finished. The fact that it was reviewed by several magazines, including Nintendo Power, also validate the fact that it was complete. They aren't romhacking this to completion, the woman from Kaneko just has a foggy memory of the game (which was likely cancelled due to Kaneko shutting down, not because it was incomplete).

Ah I see, I wonder how this is going to go if they don't have copyright. I've spent a significant amount of time looking for Hiroshi; and not even they knew where he went when Kaneko Closed down.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikointeractive wrote:
Evan wrote:
Pikointeractive wrote:

Ah I see, I wonder how this is going to go if they don't have copyright. I've spent a significant amount of time looking for Hiroshi; and not even they knew where he went when Kaneko Closed down.

Who's Hiroshi? The game was programmed by Realtime Associates, which is run by David Warhol. You know, I did a pretty extensive article on this.

http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0094
gilbert cheung

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

Who's Hiroshi?

Because Kaneko was owned by Horoshi Kaneko I guess?
Pikointeractive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Hiroshi Kaneko was the company owner. But now that I think about it, may be it was only a publisher and Realtime is the real IP owner.
Pikointeractive

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Realtime Associated. David confirmed they wrote the game to completion as well as all right was kept by Kaneko Japan. So, they couldn't have licensed or bought it off Realtime.
Evan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you have thought that Realtime Associates had the rights in the first place, when they were just hired as the developers?

I would safely assume that if Kaneko Japan still holds the rights to this game, they would have long forgot about it. I highly doubt that Kaneko Japan had much to do with their American division, considering the kinds of games they released.
Pikointeractive

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts are different, sometimes the expire and rights revert back to developers Or there are clauses that say that if the publisher goes bankrupt the developer gets the rights. There can be an infinite amount of agreements companies can do when working on a game, and the only way to know is by asking at least one of them.
Greg2600

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing no kickstarter yet?
Niiue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Kickstarter's up now, and it's a hack. :/
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/481884736/socks-the-cat-the-video-game-based-on-the-clintons

Yeah, I guess this is all we'll get too. If he were to release the unhacked rom it would keep people from buying repros.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, those covers look kind of amateurish... Confused

I wonder what those "graphic improvements" they mention could be.
Niiue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:

Besides an excuse to showcase their custom sprites while erasing a part of history, you mean?
ICEknight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiue wrote:
ICEknight wrote:

Besides an excuse to showcase their custom sprites while erasing a part of history, you mean?
Ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: