Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

Park Place Productions, Etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Park Place Productions, Etc. Reply with quote

Michael Knox, the co-founder of Park Place Productions, once the world's largest independent game development company in North America, passed away recently. As a result, I have forced myself to do a GDRI entry for Park Place Productions, and I want to bash my head in. Same goes for Lyndon & Associates/Pacific Dataworks International, which Knox worked for, and looking up these DOS/C64 Capcom conversions. Anyway, my Park Place research has turned up the following:

- Tenzing Kernan lists "Lenux [sic] Lewis Boxing (Sega Genesis)." I can't find anything else about a Lennox Lewis game. Park Place did make a Muhammad Ali game for the Genesis, though.

- Tom Schenck worked on a number of unreleased games at a few different companies including Park Place. Thank you, Usenet.

Code:
        Guardians: Storms over Doria (Knight Tech), Telegames USA (Atari Lynx)
                Unreleased. Developed initial milestones and menu/engine code.

Pigskin Footbrawl (Park Place Prod), Razorsoft (Super NES)
                Unreleased. Developed initial engine and also produced project.

Aladdin and the Magic Lamp (BlueSky Software),
        Sega of America/Disney (Sega Game Gear).
                Unreleased. Worked on design and initial engine code.

Road to the Cup Hockey '94 (Park Place Prod.), Electrobrain (Super NES)
                Unreleased. Sole programmer. Develped tokenized-AI routines and
                improved SNES sprite engine/support library.

Pegasus Racer (Ringler Studios), Ringler Studios (Sega Genesis)
                Unreleased. Continued project from previous programmer.

Shut Up and Jam! (Ringler Studios), Atari/Accolade (Atari Jaguar)
                Unreleased. Directed programmer (trainee) in development
                of initial milestone.

I'd like to get in touch with him, but it looks like the only way I could possibly do that is to "tweet" him.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated, but in looking for more info on Park Place I came across reference to two unreleased Alexandria games on the resume of THQ's Scott Rogers:

The Head (SNES, Genesis) (I'm assuming this is MTV's The Head, based on the cartoon series?)

Interplanetary Lizards of the Texas Plains (listed on a resume as "Interplanetary Lizards of the Texas Range, which I'm assuming is a mistake)

For the record, his resume credits these games to Alexandria as well, which are not on your list:

Return Fire (Jaguar)
Frankenstein: Through the eyes of the monster (Saturn, 3DO, PS)
ICEknight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Park Place Productions, Etc. Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
This is very interesting. Wasn't the final (exclusive) GG/SMS game developed in Japan?

This could mean they originally wanted to port the Genesis game.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Park Place Productions, Etc. Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
GDRI wrote:
This is very interesting. Wasn't the final (exclusive) GG/SMS game developed in Japan?

This could mean they originally wanted to port the Genesis game.

I interpreted this as an additional game/sequel, but I suppose that could be true. I have a hard time imagining a magic lamp story happening after the events of the movie.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Maxim at SMS Power pointed out, the movie came out in November 1992, and Mr. Schenck worked at BlueSky from October 1992 to February 1993. This was likely an aborted first attempt at the license. The SMS/GG game that was released (developed by SIMS in Japan) didn't come out until 1994. I'd guess issues surrounding the BlueSky game had something to do with that late release.

Schenck's LinkedIn says he "developed open-ended RPG-style and platform games on Sega Genesis platform in 68000 assembly language" at Visual Concepts.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking up Interplanetary Lizards of the Texas Plains and found the resume of Elizabeth Grigg from Orca Games, which did a lot of sound work for Alexandria. She has that game listed as well as one called Action Food Mart. So I looked that up, and it turns out to be some Duke Nukem (not 3D) knockoff she was working on at Orca that never came out. She uploaded a bunch of graphics files (a couple zip files worth) a while back. Nothing earth-shattering, but they are an interesting curiosity.
KungFuFurby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked up Lennox Lewis Boxing for the Genesis (you thought it might have been developed by Park Place), and actually came up with something, though none of it is developer-related.

It appears Mark Flitman was a developer consultant at Acclaim, NY, according to MobyGames.

As an added bonus, the game appears to be also for the SNES and Game Gear, and none of them made it, I think.

Maybe attempting to contact Mark Flitman would be a start to find out if Park Place was involved?
GDRI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KungFuFurby wrote:
It appears Mark Flitman was a developer consultant at Acclaim, NY, according to MobyGames.

Thanks for that.
KungFuFurby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than that, and Park Place's involvement with the Genesis version that you found out, I can't find anything else about Lennox Lewis Boxing. Sorry...
GDRI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another unreleased Genesis Park Place game: Dan Marino Power Play Football.

Found that in an old Digital Press thread where they dug up unreleased games from magazines. Here's a similar thread at Sega16bit.com.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park Place was working on at least one non-sports game for the Super NES and Sega CD - Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, based on the television series starring David Carradine, who also died this year. (Sources: 1 2)

For some reason, I'm a little interested in seeing this.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDRI wrote:
Park Place was working on at least one non-sports game for the Super NES and Sega CD - Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, based on the television series starring David Carradine, who also died this year. (Sources: 1 2)

For some reason, I'm a little interested in seeing this.

I am too, I love bad licensed 16-bit platformers. Every time I see something like Friends get a video game I secretly hope it's a bad 16-bit platform game, but it never is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: