Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 am

Seraphim (Unreleased PC game)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mainpatr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Seraphim (Unreleased PC game) Reply with quote

http://www.valkyriestudios.com/AngelHome.htm

This was going to be a third-person action game with air and ground combat on the Unreal Engine.

The site says there's a playable prototype, and they are searching for a publisher.

Do you know where I can find this proto?
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it looks like a fairly current game. I assume it's only unreleased because they haven't found a publisher yet, that it hasn't sat on someone's shelf for ten years, and that there probably isn't anywhere you can just download it at the moment.

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something, but from that single page I'm going to guess the game isn't in the wild yet, and if it's as recent as I'm assuming, downloading when they're still trying to get the thing published is awfully piratey anyway.

Also, that Jack Daniels chicken I had for dinner was not very good.
mainpatr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The developer is pretty much dead. Last news on the site was from 2000

I think this game is pretty much dead too. .
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree, the studio appears to be dead. Even the Gamasutra profile hasn't been updated since the site was active, and they certainly haven't posted any jobs.

I just sent an email to the lead designer of their other project asking if he worked on this one too, I'll post back here if he replies. My guess is the same as kap's; despite this being a very old prototype, the concept is probably still being shopped around. This is a really common practice, there are TONS of prototypes developed for the sake of selling to a publisher, the only odd thing about this one is that Valkyrie made its existence public.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's an official response from Brian "BMAN" Babendererde, former VP of Game Development at Valkyrie. It more or less confirms what kap and I were saying:

BMAN wrote:
Seraphim never went beyond the prototype stage. The prototype was developed with the Unreal engine. It consisted of a handful of fully playable multiplayer stages and three distinct characters to choose from, each with their own weapons and style of play. The stages contained elements that could be destroyed in the heat of battle, such as buildings. It was taking shape and showed tremendous promise, being already quite a bit of fun even at this early stage.

Seraphim was shopped around to quite a few publishers, many of whom were interested enough to get close to signing on to the project. Unfortunately, in 1999 and 2000 the economy dipped and local development in chicago suffered. Several chicago development houses closed. Publishers, already traditionally uncertain when it comes to new concepts of gameplay, got cold feet. Seraphim was put on the shelf indefinately and Valkyrie disbanded.

On a side note, I'm working on resurrecting much of the core Seraphim concepts that I developed for the game into concepts for other media, such as books and graphic novels. There will be some new art related to this (and therefore Seraphim) appearing on my own gallery site, www.twilighttangents.com, in about week.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Frank, you have a way with people.

Half the time when i ask people about old projects like this, i get told to piss off.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but Brian seems like a genuinely nice guy.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:

Half the time when i ask people about old projects like this, i get told to piss off.

Frank's a good guy, but it also must help that he's got a resume to back up his question.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixon wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:

Frank's a good guy, but it also must help that he's got a resume to back up his question.

hi I used to edit gamasutra can I have your roms?
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
nixon wrote:
ProgrammingAce wrote:

hi I used to edit gamasutra can I have your roms?

Isn't that basically your new job? Heh.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, GameTap has its own licensing department. I interact with them, but have nothing to do with acquisitions (other than to suggest stuff occasionally).
BMAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Seraphim and New Art Reply with quote

Hey, this is BMAN, the designer who worked on Seraphim and provided the answer above.

I'm glad someone out there remembers this game. We had high hopes for it, and we were having a blast putting it together.

I'm also glad that someone here thought the game looked recent and contemporary (and not 10 years old). I hope that means we were right when we thought we were ahead of our time Smile

Anyway, I'm glad I could answer the question. Developers should never tell players to piss off! Gaming is a community, not a one way street.

The art I mentioned is now online at my site. Its all fallen angels, and the new pieces are creative decendants of the Seraphim project, so I hope you enjoy them. There is also info there about the way Seraphim has morphed into something new.

You can see the new art at:

www.twilighttangents.com

Thanks again,
Brian BMAN Babendererde

By Brian BMAN Babendererde
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: