Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Lots-O-Protos for sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Lots-O-Protos for sale Reply with quote

I don't need to go into much detail. This speaks for itself:

http://forums.hidden-palace.org/viewtopic.php?t=2815

Honestly surprised it didn't get here yet. Anyways, does anyone have any interest in helping this get Toe Jam & Earl 2 dumped? Since it says different than released version who knows what it holds Very Happy
I'd want to go for Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill, but being unreleased I know the price is going to be higher, while this game apparently could be $50 to $100, which seems more reasonable and likely to get enough donations to go towards it faster. I have like $27 for it. I'm still waiting for the official pricing, but if anyone else is interested let me know Smile
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many of the games i've bought from DreamTR have turned out to be identical to retail. The ones that are known to be different are usually priced higher then i'm willing to pay.

I won't buy betas sight unseen anymore. I've been burned too many times.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they cartridge games? I know it seems like any disc games I've seen him selling on Assembler usually always turn out to just be a review copy or something identical to the final.

I still have high hopes that "different from released" wouldn't be put next to it unless it was special i.e more than like a different title or something so insignificant.
drx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:
Too many of the games i've bought from DreamTR have turned out to be identical to retail. The ones that are known to be different are usually priced higher then i'm willing to pay.

I won't buy betas sight unseen anymore. I've been burned too many times.

I guess I've been way more lucky than you have Razz I really got some shiny gems from him.

Anyway, not really forcing anyone, this was more intended as a 'if you like a particular game very much and have too much money and you want to take a chance in getting a proto of it' kind of thing.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes on your forum need to check their ROM sets. I'm seeing lots of requests for games we already dumped, some of them as high as $1,000.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, i've gotten plenty of interesting stuff from him too. I just don't drop large sums of money on things i can't see in person anymore.
drx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Dudes on your forum need to check their ROM sets. I'm seeing lots of requests for games we already dumped, some of them as high as $1,000.

Yeah I suspected that, but goodsets aren't exactly reliable... Ideally there would be some sort of list of his protos that you dumped somewhere... *wink wink nudge nudge*
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a Toejam & Earl 2 that sounds and controls as well as the sidescroller release, but plays as a top-down roguelike like the first (as TJ&E2 was planned to be before Sega meddled), and you've instantly got one of the best games ever on the Genesis, totally.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
Give me a Toejam & Earl 2 that sounds and controls as well as the sidescroller release, but plays as a top-down roguelike like the first (as TJ&E2 was planned to be before Sega meddled), and you've instantly got one of the best games ever on the Genesis, totally.

All the reason I never gave a crap about the final product. I'll one up that wish list with a concept that I would have liked to see more games from the era implement, and that's the "playable ending" which is just walking around and doing your own thing. Thought that was very chill.

Earthbound did it (and made it better), Chrono Trigger... kinda'. Would have liked to see that in more than just RPG's though.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
All the reason I never gave a crap about the final product. I'll one up that wish list with a concept that I would have liked to see more games from the era implement, and that's the "playable ending" which is just walking around and doing your own thing. Thought that was very chill.

Earthbound did it (and made it better), Chrono Trigger... kinda'. Would have liked to see that in more than just RPG's though.

For a co-operative Genesis sidescroller with a lot of bells and whistles, I thought that TJ&E2 did a reasonably good job. The whole magic bottle-throwing mechanism was fun enough, the music was among the very funkiest to ever grace that already sort of funky Yamaha sound chip, and they did two player simultaneous side-scrolling about as well as you could do on a Genesis in 1993 (beats Tails constantly getting run off of the screen, at least).

If only it had the randomized elements and weren't so blasted repetitive...
Drakee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Virtua Hamster released someday...
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drakee wrote:
I'd like to see Virtua Hamster released someday...

It's already been bought and is being dumped and released at http://www.x-cult.org/newegg/ some day soon I believe.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drx wrote:
Ideally there would be some sort of list of his protos that you dumped somewhere... *wink wink nudge nudge*

I don't have a list typed up that I can send you, but I know what's dumped and what isn't. If you want to know if a specific game has been dumped, just ask me.

Also, you might try checking the No-Intro romlists, they're more up-to-date than the Good tools.
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
I don't have a list typed up that I can send you, but I know what's dumped and what isn't. If you want to know if a specific game has been dumped, just ask me.

Also, you might try checking the No-Intro romlists, they're more up-to-date than the Good tools.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2045

Ufouria's Earliest Prototype, Currently in it's unfound state: The 3rd(?) Ufouria prototype. If a Ufouria proto is in one of DRX's or Skrybe's prototype ROMs is there, Comparitions are more possible

My therory is that it will be like SMB2's proto when released, as it is one of the many popular ''holy grail of protos''

And the fact that any fan of the game would try to get a hold of the proto if released to the public. as unused characters and stuff is found but not used anywhere in the final.

In short: Is the Earliest version of Ufouria (see URL) in your prototypes? or is it the first proto, Which only has title screen changes, If it is the Earliest proto, then that the proto I am looking at for someone to dump.

drx: how much to dump, $40-$80 can be OK, I hope.
(I perfer to wait at the 1st of next week. My payday is at the first)
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamtaro126 wrote:
Ufouria's Earliest Prototype, Currently in it's unfound state: The 3rd(?) Ufouria prototype. If a Ufouria proto is in one of DRX's or Skrybe's prototype ROMs is there, Comparitions are more possible

I'm having a hard time understanding you, but I'll tell you what I know. If I'm recalling correctly, the copy of Ufouria that Jason has on his list is the same one that we (maybe I personally?) sold to him, which is near-final with some exceptions. The only change I can remember is that the birds drop turds like in the Famicom version. The ROM should be out there, do you have it?
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamtaro126 wrote:

In short: Is the Earliest version of Ufouria (see URL) in your prototypes? or is it the first proto, Which only has title screen changes, If it is the Earliest proto, then that the proto I am looking at for someone to dump.

Dream has said multiple times that he doesn't have the time to go through each proto to look for differences, even if he is selling the dump or the cart.

I still find it amazing that I bought a Mega Man 2 proto with known differences for $275 but the cost for the dump of the same game, even if it's the final version, cost $800+.

Dumps costing 3x what protos cost just seems crazy...
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Hamtaro126 wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding you, but I'll tell you what I know. If I'm recalling correctly, the copy of Ufouria that Jason has on his list is the same one that we (maybe I personally?) sold to him, which is near-final with some exceptions. The only change I can remember is that the birds drop turds like in the Famicom version. The ROM should be out there, do you have it?

Darn, I ment just DreamTR, not DRX!

I got it now, I already have the near-final proto in it's ROM form if that's the case, so it does not need to be re-dumped.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ&E2 is getting several donations atm so all's well Smile

I'm mainly posting just out of curiosity and since this doesn't deserve it's own topic. Are most NES protos that Lost Levels has dumped from DreamTR? I've noticed that pretty much every single game this site has released is on the list, except for Legend of Robin Hood(unless it's that Adventures of Robin Hood game I see on the list).

I mostly ask since I made a list of all games that have been bought off the list just so people can reference it and know what not to bother trying to buy as it's already been dumped, which makes spending money on a dump again pointless heh. of course I doubt Dream would go through with such a transaction if he knew he already sold the dump and it's on the net... :p
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most NES prototypes wind up in Jason's hands eventually.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Most NES prototypes wind up in Jason's hands eventually.

He hasn't made a substantial proto purchase in a very long time if you ask me. If anything, NES protos start in Dream's hands and then go elsewhere.

I'm fairly confident that I own more undumped/unreleased NES games than Jason at this point, he's definitely not the only player in the game. Actually, of the 8 or so unreleased NES games I've acquired in the last year or so, only one cost more than Jason is asking for dumps of some of his released games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: