Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
You can't polish a turd.

Since the game wasn't even really finished in the first place, I have to agree with Arn. I guess fixing it would require digging up all the original plans for the game and everything, though.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
Good to see that the Phantasy Star remake is coming overseas after all, I was getting worried.

I never really got why people hated PS3 so much. Sure, it gets redundant sometimes, but so did most other RPGs. PS3 actually had some really cool ideas, like playing through with generations of characters, that age and have children, and can choose different spouses, which affects the story and playable character pool. My only big complaint is the map system. The world map is inexplicably tiny and obtuse.

You never read Sardius' article on that horrid game, did you?

Although, to be honest, I hated PS2 more than 3. Those seizure-inducing fights made me return the game when I rented it after fifteen minutes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anarchy99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I doubt Conspiracy's going to bother with remaking PS2 and PS4 anyways.
narc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of sega ages is classic titles and gameplay with nicer graphics for a low price, however this package deal could allow them to not do anything to 2 and 4, but that would not make much sense.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:

You never read Sardius' article on that horrid game, did you?

Although, to be honest, I hated PS2 more than 3. Those seizure-inducing fights made me return the game when I rented it after fifteen minutes.

I did. Granted, that is a glaring oversight, but I don't think it's a reason to discount the game entirely.

Yeah, I thought 3 actually made some significant improvements over 2. And 2 is often heralded as the best of the series.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narc wrote:
The whole point of sega ages is classic titles and gameplay

That depends on the title. The changes I've heard made to some of them sound certain to make an impact on the gameplay, not just cosmetic elements.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what was really fun? The Bonk's Adventure remake.

Yup.
narc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True smeg i have played several of the ages titles. The outrun remake contains an original and arrange mode were you attempt to beat rivals throughout the courses.
Afterburner contains additional control over airspeed which adds new strategy.
Virtual Racing contains a grand prix mode where you can move up into faster car types as you win.

I may also add that the Afterburner remake seems to be the least extra packed of the three I played but i didnt spend loads of time playing it, even though i enjoy this style of game.

I hope to try more of these as a buddy of mine imports games like crazy and is suppose to get golden axe and possibly space harrier soon.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Poor Phantasy Star... Reply with quote

Err, seems to me PS3 was sorta the FF7/8 of the PS series. Not so much bad but different. I've only played PS2, and it's hard as hell.

If Sega really wanted to bring back soem classics, why not dig up the two PS games for the Game Gear. Those games really through some loops into the story.(Ok only one of them did)
treeman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be one of the only people that love PS3 more than PS2. The dungeons of PS2 were annoying and the generations aspect of PS3 just caught my attention and never let go.

Anybody here have the limited mega drive release of PS1?
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
Anybody here have the limited mega drive release of PS1?

I don't, but for what it's worth the game is just the SMS release with a built-in Power Base Converter. It might be an interesting collectible for Phantasy Star fans, but there are no differences you're missing out on by not having played it.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off-topic, but I've often wondered how hard it would be to insert the English scripts into Phantasy Star Collection for the Saturn.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Somewhat off-topic, but I've often wondered how hard it would be to insert the English scripts into Phantasy Star Collection for the Saturn.

My best guess is that if it wasn't difficult, someone would have done it ages ago.
treeman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's difficult, I don't hear too much about the saturn translation scene. Maybe the right people haven't considered it yet.

But then again, translating is a pain. I started an MSX Final Fantasy translation, I found the location of the text (probably not all of it, but enough of it) but the only 4 english letters built into the game were H + E + L + P (yeah, I know that spells help) and I would have had to go into the ROM and graphically draw the text, which was encrypted so I couldn't do it. The strange thing was that there was a section in the ROM that handled the ending and that had the full english alphabet. If only they would have done that with the normal text I would have been able to translate the ROM. Anyway, the right people would know ways around this problem and I see no reason why PSCollection can't be translated.

Also, yeah I know the PS1 Mega Drive is the same as the Master System version, but it would still be g*r*e*a*t to have it :)
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I wondered that too! Or, it might even be possible to just replace the roms outright. I really wanted that to come out in the US...
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
Or, it might even be possible to just replace the roms outright. I really wanted that to come out in the US...

That's assuming that it contains Genesis ROMs. People tend to assume that older game collections on newer systems always use emulation, but writing a Genesis emulator that would run on a Saturn would have to be, if not impossible, at least difficult beyond the point of being worth the effort. Just take a look at the Genesis emulator Sega released for the Dreamcast - none too impressive, is it? That said, even if the Phantasy Star Collection is an emulator, chances are the ROMs are encrypted or all of the game data (including the emulator and ROMs) are embedded in one big data file.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt they're ROMs. Hell, it's obvious Sonic Jam isn't emulation-based.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Richter Belmont wrote:
Or, it might even be possible to just replace the roms outright. I really wanted that to come out in the US...

That's assuming that it contains Genesis ROMs... That said, even if the Phantasy Star Collection is an emulator, chances are the ROMs are encrypted or all of the game data (including the emulator and ROMs) are embedded in one big data file.

Yes, hence, the "might".

You can replace the ROMs on DC's Sega Smash Pack if you know what you're doing.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This DC emulator... Sega already had the rights to Steve Snake's emulator, why not just take that core and adapt it to the DC using the WinCE technology they used in the past? Oh, wait, I know why - it would involve work.

Anyway.

Saturn hacking wasn't feasible because there wasn't a real emulator to test things on, not to mention trace code. Would you like to modify things on a CD image, burn that, and test it on a Saturn? And have to do that every time you modified something?

Some Saturn emulators are popping up. Maybe in a few years, we'll see some Saturn translations.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
narc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too bad giri giri saturn went commercial from what i hear its good but its scary dc emulation is better than saturn emulation in some ways
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: