Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:15 am

lost tunes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: lost tunes? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Has there been an article or thread regarding soundtracks with unused music found in the rom data? I have a blog where I rip classic video game soundtracks to mp3 biweekly - http://explod.tumblr.com/
(full list of downloads). I was planning on releasing some collections of "unused" game music, particularly NES music.

If anyone from the lost levels (frank?) would be interested in doing a write up on this, I would be happy to contribute or coordinate something.

Oh and, if anyone knows of any, feel free to mention them. Some that come to mind off the bat are-

-Castlevania (unused name entry track, only in japanese FDS release)
-Conquest of the Crystal Palace (several tracks)
-Ninja Gaiden II (one track)
-River City Ransom (several tracks)
-Shadowgate (one track)
-Solstice (one track)
-Zelda II (a couple jingles)

Additionally, it could include songs that were in games but you never got to hear the entire thing, as well as differing tracks from prototype releases. (ducktales, batman, several mega man tracks, double dragon...)
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear... I have about 1.7 GB worth of MP3's and WMA's Microsoft used in their QA tests designing the Xbox.

Everything from the B-52s to Rob Zombie. Includes a bunch of really freaky test animations too... There's a bunch of original recordings in there too.

http://gamerhistory.com/images/xbox/XDK10.jpg

http://gamerhistory.com/images/xbox/XDK07.jpg

And did i ever mention Sega helped Microsoft develop the Xbox hardware?

http://gamerhistory.com/images/xbox/XDK13.jpg

EDIT: took out the surprisingly large pictures

Last edited by ProgrammingAce on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgrammingAce wrote:

I recognize that texture from some old DirectX demo/test programs.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebereke/Ufouria has one. Track 4 on the nsf. Its a gloomy sounding tune that lasts about 25 seconds. Also Journey to Silius has 2 short tracks you never hear during the actual game. (tracks 8 & 10)

Yet another Sunsoft game, Gimmick has one. Track 2. It appears in the game's hidden sound test where it actually has a name. (Strange Memories of Death) I suppose since its in the sound test, "technically" it is used in the game somewhere. To get the sound test, hold select on the title screen and hit start.

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom also has one. Track 9. This was going to appear in some stage that got scrapped. I remember having a discussion about this in IRC many years ago, but I can't remember too much about it.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We probably already know that both Strider's and Mega Man 3's endings have extra music that you wouldn't normally hear.

Smartball for the SNES has some unused music, I've discovered. But they're really short jingles and are SPC-unfriendly...
Mezase Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthBound has an unused track, which is a mix of a tune from that game along with a remixed version of a track from Mother.

Last edited by Mezase Master on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
bucky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! You guys mostly mentioned stuff I was unaware of.

I love the gimmick soundtrack to death, but I've never played all the way through. I had no idea that track didn't make it into the gameplay, which is funny since it's my favorite.

I'm also guilty of never playing strider.

I just remembered that bubble bobble has an unused track that's pretty cool. And Maniac Mansion has a really awesome one as well (nsf track 13).

I'll start compiling an mp3 collection of these tracks soon-ish.

Last edited by bucky on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably already know this if you follow the forums here, but track 6 in Buzz and Waldog is unused. See this thread.
Mezase Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac Mansion on the NES had one? I'd like to hear that. I know all the other music by heart.
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ripped a quick mp3-
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1961564221166642/

it's not tagged or anything though
Mezase Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds... amazingly awesome. Shocked

Why must they always exclude the best tracks!?!
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Battle/Hokuto no Ken 2 for Genesis/Megadrive has a track you never really get to hear the whole tune of. It is the track you hear when you talk to an ally, basically at the end of certain levels. To be honest though, I think you do hear it repeat ONCE when you beat the final boss, but I could be wrong.

Double Dragon 2 for NES has a track you never hear in its entirety. It is the between levels intermission music (or maybe it's DD1...I forget).

Awesome thread idea!

-Rob
Dais

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I ripped/tagged SPCs or minigsfs or whatever with any kind of consistency, unused tracks found via any method were one of my biggest problems. Despite living in the GameFAQs era, there's still so much undocumented stuff in video games, it's almost impossible to tell whether a tune was genuinely unused or you simply missed out on it somehow while playing through the game.

Worst is when there's a non-secret sound test, and you find a song that you didn't hear anywhere in the game.

You probably know this already, but plenty of unused songs found via sound tests (for the SNES, at least) can be heard at snesmusic.org by searching for "unused". Some games have quite a few. Same goes for Project 2612 and the Genesis.

Of a few GSF sets I tagged, hmm....as far as I'm aware, CIMA has absolutely no secrets (aside from the hidden upgrading materials, which are easily found), yet I couldn't find two songs - one a variation on the character naming screen, and the other...I don't know.

DBZ: Supersonic Warriors has two alternative mixes of fight themes...the unused song in POP: Sands of Time might be used somewhere I never was able to access...dunno about Pandora Tomorrow.

Got lots of unfinished sets with unknown tracks, which is usually the reason they're unfinished :\
bucky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dais, that's a very helpful post. I didn't think of searching spc / vgm sets like that.

I hear you on the whole not actually knowing if you just 'missed it' thing. I played through Conquest of the Crystal Palace tagging an NSFE, and found several unused tracks. I asked around on a couple forums, and found out I missed a secret area of the game which had one of those tracks. As far as everyone knows, that's the only secret area and I concluded that the rest were unused. But unless if a game is very popular you have no way of really knowing this stuff. Sometimes when I tag mp3s I'll name them "Unused/ Unknown" to play it safe.

River City Ransom has a bunch of unused songs as well, but I had to double check because the current NSFE didn't identify two that were indeed in the game. Same goes for one from Bubble Bobble.

On the plus side, if a batch of "lost tunes" gets posted to the internet in some fashion and I/ we happen to be wrong on any of them, I'd gladly accept a correction from anyone who knows. Smile
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucky wrote:
I just remembered that bubble bobble has an unused track that's pretty cool.

If you're talking about the second-to-last track (the one that kinda sounds like a folk dance or something), I'm guessing it was included as a bonus for those that unlocked the sound test (get a Happy End in "Super" mode). I honestly don't know where else in the game it would fit.
Kiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While thee technically may have been "used" at some point (the device being a broadcast service), as far as I know the Satellaview BIOs has a ton of music that, to the basic viewer, is inaccessible.

Satellaview broadcasts have also used "Arranged" music that was streamed from Satellite radio. A lot of the songs, seemingly being made specifically for the BS Games, I can not find in a clean format whatsoever.
Mister Syd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucky wrote:
I just ripped a quick mp3-
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1961564221166642/

it's not tagged or anything though

Wow, this an interesting track and I have no idea where it could fit in the game other than an unused bit in an ending (perhaps when the meteor gets arrested during his talkshow interview) or when you're trying to deal with the ditching the meteor during the countdown sequence before the mansion explodes.

Regardless, thanks a lot for ripping this!
bucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob! here's another neat sample to check out for the time being- Mega Man 3 - Wily Map
If you recall the track in-game, it ended around the 5 second mark.

I'm starting to think that the bubble bobble tune might actually be in the game. There is a midi arrangement calling it "secret room", and according to gamefaqs there is a secret diamond room if you clear 20 levels on your first life. Unfortunately I cleared well over that and never actually found it, so I'm hoping I can find out what's up with that...

In addition to one unknown track in Solstice, there's a bunch of "glitchy" jingles in nsf too. I'm wondering if they're bad rips in the nsf, or if the nsf is fine and it's just weird junk from the game. I think I'll inquire over at nesdev.

Track 5 from Werewolf the Last Warrior is also unknown. I played through both the NES and Famicom versions and never encountered it.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to turn this thread into a feature, with embeddable audio for each track, but I'd like to hear some more tunes first!

I seem to remember a rip of the Katamari Damacy soundtrack had some unused stuff.
bucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I want to turn this thread into a feature, with embeddable audio for each track, but I'd like to hear some more tunes first!

Awesome, sounds like a plan! I just reposted the NES content from this thread over at nesdev. I'm hoping some of the nsf ripping wizards will have some things to add. It's listed in a much more organized fashion there if you want to check it out - http://nesdev.parodius.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=4425

I'll wait for some responses there and then get ripping!

here's the full mission screen music from double dragon -
http://www.zshare.net/audio/19921680f643ae2e/
(never got to hear past about 6 seconds)

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Hebereke/Ufouria has one. Track 4 on the nsf. Its a gloomy sounding tune that lasts about 25 seconds. Also Journey to Silius has 2 short tracks you never hear during the actual game. (tracks 8 & 10)

The NSFE refers to that Hebereke track as "Darkness Cometh". I'm not familiar with the game but I'll give it a play through and see if I can find it. After looking it up I'm surprised I haven't played it yet, it looks incredible. I didn't think I'd really discover any "new" awesome NES games at this point...

The existing NSFE for Journey to Silius also refers to those two tracks as "Fanfare 1" and "Fanfare 3". Who knows if that's just the tagger coming up with names for something he didn't find, though. I've never played through the whole thing so I think I'll do that as well to double check. I know that none of the shorter tracks are in the sound test, at least.

The NSFE for Adventures in the Magic Kingdom not only backs up track 9 being unused, but also claims that track 14 is unknown too. It sounds an awful lot like it'd be credits music though, so this might be yet another game to play through and find out. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: