Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 pm

Zelda Links Awakening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Zelda Links Awakening Reply with quote

So, I was browsing foreign magazines and I found some images of Zelda, Links awakening that I havent seen before.

The GB game never used solid black for lava, and the mountains on the bridge don't exist in final either. The picture that seems to have the least drastic changes is the 2nd one. Which is only missing a few background details and a skull.

The scan of the full magazine page can be found here.
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The font is also different and Link has more bombs than he's allowed in the final. (IIRC, 60 bombs/arrows and 40 powder sprinkles is the limit)
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Zelda Links Awakening Reply with quote

Awesome. I've seen these before, but never in this level of quality.

I'll go ahead and go blow-by-blow on the changes:

Layout's rather different. Also, I don't think it's pure black as much as it is a contrast issue; note the fact that his shadow is visible despite that it's supposed to be black... by that and the walls, it's almost clearly not supposed to be that dark.

The Fire Rod has a different tip, and the hearts are different as well:

Not much to say here... Link has too many hearts if they're playing normally (3 + 3 bosses + at most maybe 3 full heart containers from pieces of heart) -- 9 versus 10 (though it'd be more like 8)

Oh, and the design of this area is a tad different too:

This is clearly different... this may've been somewhere in between the idea of making it into LttP. It's hard to say... there's nowhere in the game remotely like it in terms of background.

Two closest matches, and even then it's a far stretch:

The second screen features the Giant Ghini, but none of them are as open as this one...

Unfortunately, these are the only 4 screenshots of note I've seen other than the ones at the bottom of this page. Notice that the world map is very, very similar to that of LttP's.
MathUser2929

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is a bridge area in final, but there is a view of the ocean, and of clouds.

As for the first pic. I'd wanna think it was just contrast issues but everything that should be outlined in black, is outlined in white in that lava.
KingMike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Zelda Links Awakening Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:

Not much to say here... Link has too many hearts if they're playing normally (3 + 3 bosses + at most maybe 3 full heart containers from pieces of heart) -- 9 versus 10 (though it'd be more like 8)

I don't believe any of the levels after 4 require plot events to reach.
In fact, I somehow managed to avoid the ghost part on my last play by getting the Hookshot immediately after getting the Flippers (I can't remember if I also beat the level 5 boss, either).
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the screenshots were taken from one of those wideboy style devices... the name escapes me at the moment. That's probably why the contrast is off.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Zelda Links Awakening Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
I don't believe any of the levels after 4 require plot events to reach.
In fact, I somehow managed to avoid the ghost part on my last play by getting the Hookshot immediately after getting the Flippers (I can't remember if I also beat the level 5 boss, either).

I don't think so either; but it could be a relatively safe assumption (judging from the rest of the screenshots that all have similar bomb/health/rupees) that this wasn't an actual playthrough of the game and probably more of a debugging system. Probably just put it close to the enterance (also notice that the first picture's got the wrong floor and wall graphics compared to the final.)

And yeah, there's no similar pure bridge. There's a bridge area in general, but there's the sea background and other parts of land; not just a bridge hovering over a void :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: