Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:40 am

So I think I have 2 games that have never been dumped...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: So I think I have 2 games that have never been dumped... Reply with quote

Greetings everyone. So I am an American collector who has been living in Korea for a few years.

For those who are not familiar with Korean retro games, it's a wild scene. For example, up until the Gamecube era, Nintendo games and systems were sold by Hyundai. The Super Nintendo in Korea was rebranded as the Hyundai Super Comboy!

BUT ANYWAYS, to the point. I have two games that I believe to be undumped. Thought this was the perfect place to get info on how to preserve these games for the ages.

The first game is Dooly Bravo Land for the Famicom. Dooly was a very popular Korean made cartoon character from the 80s. He has a game for the master system and MSX, but those have both been preserved and dumped already I believe. According to hardcoregaming101, the Famicom one has yet to be preserved and I have a CIB copy in my collection.

The second game is called Sky Fighter. It was released in 1990 by a company called 'Clover Soft'. They mainly dealt with MSX stuff, but ported tons of the games to the master system (Samsung Gam*Boy or Samsung Aladdin Boy in Korea). Again, according to hardcoregaming101, this game has yet to be preserved and the only proof of it's existence was a small title screen pic from an old magazine advertisement. There is a high chance that it's a stolen game with a changed splash screen, but I don't know enough about old MSX games to be able to confirm that.

I can provide proof of ownership when I get home from work. The only pics I have of the items now don't have proper time stamps and proof of ownership. I can share some video of the game play or anything else you guys want too.

But what I really want to know is how I can get these games properly preserved without compromising the integrity of the games. I would like to keep these in my collection, but it feels selfish to not get these preserved.

I welcome all advice. Thanks guys!
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a SMS rom available for a port of the Konami MSX game Sky Jaguar. Rom auditing software labels it as Korean, so maybe it's the same game as Sky Fighter? If you can provide a screenshot it'd be easier to say.
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrybe wrote:
There's a SMS rom available for a port of the Konami MSX game Sky Jaguar. Rom auditing software labels it as Korean, so maybe it's the same game as Sky Fighter? If you can provide a screenshot it'd be easier to say.

Even better. Here is a quick video. Sorry for sucking so bad. Had to play with one hand Laughing

https://youtu.be/j4xmJwTPAHE

beautiful soundtrack, eh?
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroworldkoera wrote:
Skrybe wrote:

Even better. Here is a quick video. Sorry for sucking so bad. Had to play with one hand :LAUGHING OUT LOUD:

https://youtu.be/j4xmJwTPAHE

beautiful soundtrack, eh?

Interesting! But are you saying that this is an MSX cart (as is indicated on HG101) or an SMS version?

In any case, I'm reasonably familiar with the MSX library, but this game doesn't seem to correspond to any one thing. I ran through all of the shooters listed on Tagoo (the big Japanese MSX database) just to be sure, but no dice. What it really seems to be is a weird amalgamation of elements from Xevious and Zanac, with possibly some other stuff thrown in as well. The music also sounds infuriatingly familiar to me, but maybe I'm missing something here...?

If it is indeed an SMS cart, I'm sure the guys over at SMS Power can help you with preserving it.

As for Dooly, I remember seeing a couple of videos here:

https://fcgamer.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/fun-with-dooly/

Which reminds me... Seems like Magic Kid Goo Goo is finally going to get dumped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5DiU3b7ap8
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky Fighter is an MSX game. What model MSX do you have? From asking around just now, it seems like a fairly simple thing to do with some software and a disk drive, I can try to help.

Great news on Dooly. I TENTATIVELY have a copy coming to me on loan (along with Googoo), but I haven't 100% secured it yet, so it would be great if I had you as a backup plan. If you'd be willing to mail and loan yours to me in the U.S. I will get it dumped, though I should warn you in advance that opening up the shell and looking at the board is probably going to be necessary. In fact, I would suggest you work on opening it up yourself, so you're not trusting someone else to do that to your item.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be out of my depth here, but as I understand it, I remember reading that there is some sort of roughly shared system architecture between the MSX1, the ColecoVision, and the Master System, and as a result, there are a TON of (I assume unofficial?) specifically made-in-Korea MSX1-to-Master System ports floating around online.

Such is the pent-up demand for ports of Super Boy:
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Sky Fighter is an MSX game. What model MSX do you have? From asking around just now, it seems like a fairly simple thing to do with some software and a disk drive, I can try to help.

Great news on Dooly. I TENTATIVELY have a copy coming to me on loan (along with Googoo), but I haven't 100% secured it yet, so it would be great if I had you as a backup plan. If you'd be willing to mail and loan yours to me in the U.S. I will get it dumped, though I should warn you in advance that opening up the shell and looking at the board is probably going to be necessary. In fact, I would suggest you work on opening it up yourself, so you're not trusting someone else to do that to your item.

It was originally an MSX game, but the version I have is the SMS port. Here is a pic:

I would be willing to send Dooly to the USA for sure. And to make it easy on your end, I could just have you send it back to my parent's house in NJ.

I actually have little experience with opening FC carts though. Last time I tried I cracked all of the tabs. I'd trust a professional over myself in that department.

But yea, consider me a backup. I'm happy to help. My copy of Dooly is actually packed away now (moving to a new apartment in 2 weeks). But here is an old picture I took of it:

spoondiddly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you answer a quick question?
Were any of the Comboy64 games in Korean, or were they all either English or Japanese?
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoondiddly wrote:
Could you answer a quick question?
Were any of the Comboy64 games in Korean, or were they all either English or Japanese?

I believe that all of the Comboy 64 games were just the North American versions in Korean shells / packaging. I also believe that only 4 games were released which were Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. I've had all 4 pass through my shop and they were all in English. Of course the manuals and inserts were all in Korean though.

There were a few "Asian Version" games that came out here, but those were simply the American releases with stickers on the outer box. No changes in the box, cart or inserts with these.

There is sadly no Korean database (at least that I know of) for any of this stuff. It seems like all of the work to archive this information is being done by foreign collectors. Our friends in France are doing a particularly amazing job with this.
Bock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is Omar/Bock from SMS Power! we exchanged some e-mails yesterday.

With those MSX1 conversion there is a small chance that the ROM image may actually even dual boot on SMS and MSX1. The cartridge won't work on a MSX1 but some ROM images have been prepared to work on both systems with the appropriate boards and connectors different in each version. Presumably they did this to save on making different roms?

Those four games are doing so, and have the necessary mumbo jumbo to handle the system differences (ports, etc.)
http://www.smspower.org/Tags/MSXCompatibleROM

FYI for all those Korean games (regardless of whether it happens to be MSX1 compatible) there's zero need to open the cartridge to make a dump. I can't tell about the Famicom one however!

O.
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff! Also happy to know that the cartridge wont need to be opened. Excited to see this get dumped finally.
Brain Breaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retroworldkoera wrote:
Interesting stuff! Also happy to know that the cartridge wont need to be opened. Excited to see this get dumped finally.

I have a question for you, if you have the time.

In your travels there, have you ever come across any of the obscure Apple II games from the early days of the Korean gaming scene? "Sin'geom-ul Jeonseol" at least has been preserved, but the handful of others seem to be lost. I would basically be willing to crawl over broken glass to see Topia's "Hokseong Daetalchul" found and preserved, in particular. The other Aproman releases like "Uju Jeonsa Dooly" (is it a law in Korea that there has to be an undumped Dooly game for every platform?) and "Miss Apple" are also high on my wishlist.

You can see some of this stuff here:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/part1/company-topia.htm
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/part1/company-aproman.htm

Despite the fact that I always seem to end up posting on Atari or Nintendo-oriented sites, my main personal interest is the Apple II, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bock wrote:

FYI for all those Korean games (regardless of whether it happens to be MSX1 compatible) there's zero need to open the cartridge to make a dump. I can't tell about the Famicom one however!

O.

I'm kind of surprised if so many unlicensed Korean SMS games used a standardized mapper.

On Famicom, there was definitely not much standardization in mappers (due to many mappers adding on sorts of additional functionality like IRQ timers, in addition to varying program and graphics ROM banking schemes)
Tongueman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the SMS already has scanline interrupts and can only use VRAM for tiles, so all that is needed in a mapper is banking ROM.
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain Breaker wrote:
retroworldkoera wrote:

I have a question for you, if you have the time.

In your travels there, have you ever come across any of the obscure Apple II games from the early days of the Korean gaming scene? "Sin'geom-ul Jeonseol" at least has been preserved, but the handful of others seem to be lost. I would basically be willing to crawl over broken glass to see Topia's "Hokseong Daetalchul" found and preserved, in particular. The other Aproman releases like "Uju Jeonsa Dooly" (is it a law in Korea that there has to be an undumped Dooly game for every platform?) and "Miss Apple" are also high on my wishlist.

You can see some of this stuff here:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/part1/company-topia.htm
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/part1/company-aproman.htm

Despite the fact that I always seem to end up posting on Atari or Nintendo-oriented sites, my main personal interest is the Apple II, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a scene I know NOTHING about here in Korea. But I do know there is at least one private vintage computer game collector community. I have a friend who is into that stuff here but I haven't talked to him in ages. I should be seeing him at a retro gaming meetup later next month and I can ask him about this stuff and see if he maybe has some titles you are asking about and if he would be willing to back em up. Or if they are even already backed up somewhere on a Korean site Smile

But the rule of thumb in Korea is the older the item, the more likely it ended up in the trash. Koreans had way different priorities back in the day since they were still a developing nation. One of the MANY reasons that retro games ( and other pop culture goodies) are so hard to come by here. It's what also makes it so interesting to me. If you think the world of Korean retro gaming is wacky then you should check out some of the bootleg toys from here back in the day!
KAGE-008

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is anybody trying to dump both things?
retroworldkoera

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAGE-008 wrote:
So is anybody trying to dump both things?

Sky Fighter is being sent out soon to get dumped. Dooly was already in the works of getting dumped apparently though.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooley Bravo World, Magic Kid Googoo and Koko Adventure are all on their way to Kevtris as of this morning.
KAGE-008

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Dooley Bravo World, Magic Kid Googoo and Koko Adventure are all on their way to Kevtris as of this morning.

Koko Adventure was dumped back in 2011 IIRC. Because it was on a NonGoodNES pack Kamming published that year.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I guess it's gonna get dumped again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: