Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:29 am

Goldeneye + Free Game Promo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dradsa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye + Free Game Promo? Reply with quote

firstly, the goldeneye type in codes. you know what i mean? the ones like c up, c down, a, b, l, l, r etc etc and u get infinate ammo or god mode to beat a level with?

anyway, i may have only been young but i remember first reading about them in a gaming magazine some time after goldeneye was released. So, heres my questions...

Are they bugs or actual cheats purposely put into the game?
how come they took so long to be released to the public? im sure it was atleast a year!
also, who discovered them? was it some random gamer who found them and wrote into gamepro or something? or were they officially released or leaked?

Also, i remember seeing a magazine with a free Nintendo 64 game inside. it didnt tell you on the cover what the game was but if i remember correctly i THINK it may have been gex. also, im unsure what magazine it was but im Australian (if it helps...). the magazine was shrinkwrapped with the game inside a seperate silver packet. was this a demo game or a full game? its the only time i have ever seen a free Cartridge based game come with a magazine.

any help is appreciated,
thanks Smile
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but I would be shocked if any magazine ever gave away a cart demo, since they're so much more expensive to manufacture than discs.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button codes for Goldeneye were released several years after the game came out. Rare never intended for them to be released, but were forced into it by the community. The codes were used during testing so the testers would have an easier time going through everything. It's assumed that there are similar codes for Perfect Dark, but they've never been found.

Quote:
Rare released one of the button codes, for extra characters. This led to the GameShark hacker Dr. Ian, who used the known button press values for this one code to determine where in memory the list of cheats was stored. He then hacked out the rest of the cheats, which turned out to be quite a number of them. Rare subsequently released on their web site a full list, although did acknowledge begrudgingly that it only did so because of the GameShark hacker's release. Dr. Ian's original release quote: "Well, RARE didn't tell us about these!"
mrdomino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd imagine that the free cart was a full game stuck in there as a way for some publisher to shift their unsold stock rather than being a demo produced specifically for the magazine. there were probably other games besides gex given away as well, if the mag didn't give any indication of the title you were actually getting.
Dradsa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: thankyou! Reply with quote

ahh thanks heaps guys! i had no idea about how the codes came out. so interesting!!! i think u might be right about the excess stock too. as i said i was very young so i cant quite remember exactly what games but i remember seeing a hole in the bag and it saying gex. its sad that theres no demo N64 carts like the ps1 had Sad

thanks again! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: