Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

NES2 Top Loader with official AV Out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard about GGs ruining NES connectors, but then again, I'm no GG expert.

But I guess if there was a problem with them borking up the connectors, maybe the PCB for the GG is a bit thicker than a regular cartridge (thus "widening/expanding" the connector gap?)
So if you have some "worn out" connectors, the thicker PCB will be able to still make proper contact.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I've read about it at least once. How reliable the sources are, no idea, but the general gist was that the extra downward pressure of the Game Genie and game on the 72-pin connector made the pins bend that much faster, it becomes harder for whichever relevant contact on the cartridge to reach the pin for the lockout chip, and presto, flashing gray screens.

Or whatever I read is full of crap. Either way!
neomerge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
neomerge wrote:
Smeg wrote:
neomerge wrote:
I really want to get a nes-2

No you don't. The regular ones output RF only.

I could care less, The nes-2 systems have less of a failure rate. I can live with RF output on an old gaming system.

Couldn't care less. And if you're going to make up statistics, at least make up figures to go with them.

Sorry about the grammar mistake.

But here's my source:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/nes/2007/08/best-nes-clones-generation-nex-yobo-fctwin.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge wrote:
Smeg wrote:
neomerge wrote:
Smeg wrote:
neomerge wrote:
I really want to get a nes-2

No you don't. The regular ones output RF only.

I could care less, The nes-2 systems have less of a failure rate. I can live with RF output on an old gaming system.

Couldn't care less. And if you're going to make up statistics, at least make up figures to go with them.

Sorry about the grammar mistake.

But here's my source:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/nes/2007/08/best-nes-clones-generation-nex-yobo-fctwin.html

I'm not sure I would go with some guy's blog as a source of technical information, but when he says "failure rate", I think he's referring to the difficulty of getting the "toaster" NES to start up without flashing screens or garbled graphics. Generally I think this can be controlled by keeping your connectors clean and maintained, but there is also a very simple mod to disable the lockout chip and prevent that sort of behavior altogether. I think that might interfere with Game Genie use, but it's something to consider.
neomerge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Im saying is I've read a lot about each system on various sites and the NES 2 seems like something I would thoroughly enjoy over the original NES. I've had like 3 NES systems and they've all crapped out on me. And I don't want to bother having to put a new pin in the system. Plus the dogbone controllers are awesome.

And I'm just curious, other than the NES 2 not having an AV output whats your problem with it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge wrote:
And I'm just curious, other than the NES 2 not having an AV output whats your problem with it?

I think that's it, really. If not for that little detail, it would be the superior version of the console.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, and finding a place to put the thing. NES cartridges weren't designed with top-loading in mind and stick out real far. Add a Game Genie and an adaptor and you've got a small skyscraper. I've also noticed vertical lines on the display of every NES 2 I've seen, which is probably to do with the RF output. But most of all, the things are just ridiculously overpriced. It doesn't make good economic sense to spend more for an inferior product, but hey, it's your money. And maybe you want it for some collectibility factor, in which case "good economic sense" doesn't really apply.

There are folks out there who've modded their NES 2s to give them composite output, but if you ask me, it'd be cheaper and easier to do the lockout mod I mentioned on a toaster NES and replace the cartridge connector if necessary. Or get an AV Fami like BMF suggested, but I have no idea what that might run you.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just ordered an AV Famicom from a website, ordering just the console.
From what I understand:
AC adapter: official Japanese AC is unusable in a US outlet, but I can use an SNES cord. Got a few of those "3-in-1 NES/SNES/Sega" plugs flooding ebay.
AV cable: standard Nintendo cable. Got enough of them.
Controller: NES sockets.
thnikkaman_lackey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Japanese AC adaptor should actually work with a US outlet from my understanding. I'm not an electrical engineer, but unless I'm completely mistaken, Japan and the US essentially use the same voltage standards, so unless the designer of that AV Famicom was really incompetent and didn't account for what might be at most an extra 10 volts, plugging in the Japanese one should be fine. Not going to have the same problem you would if you plugged it in the UK without a step down converter.

Maybe I'm not seeing some a bit more to it all if there's still a problem?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the added voltage just creates extra heat and stress on the components. Then again, GBA/DS adapters sold in the US are rated 100V, too, so maybe it really doesn't matter.

The adapter that came with my AV Fami is pretty ancient-looking, so I use a Genesis 1 adapter, MK-1602-1 (the -1 version is 10V, though 9V is probably fine). It works perfectly.
neomerge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be using a game genie or a famicom adapter and RF doesn't bother me at all with older systems.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neomerge wrote:
I wouldn't be using a game genie or a famicom adapter and RF doesn't bother me at all with older systems.

It really isn't so much that it's an RF signal that's the problem as it is the ugly vertical lines through the NES 2's RF signal.
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has ever hooked a spectrum analyzer to one, but it looks like the vertical lines come from bad timing.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me more of this spectrum analyzer, Ace. Is it a radio wavelength emission tool of some sort?

-Rob
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a device i've seen used to verify that a device's output matches NTSC/PAL/SECAM/Whatever specs. How it works exactly is beyond me. Looks expensive though.

Someone from the broadcast world would probably know more about it.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I got a real AV FC (not sure if it's a problem I'm using a 9V AC adaptor instead of a 10V, since it appears they don't make 10V anymore), but Castlevania III (US) doesn't seem to like it either (I know it doesn't get along with clones). :(
Still going to need the toaster, it seems.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that's strange. Total speculation here, but could it be because you're going through an adapter?
rolan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the pins on my nes but it only improved performance for a few months. In the end I found it easier just using a tri star adaptor for the snes. Doesn't play zapper games but plays all regions games with the comfort of a snes pad. And it let's you use rf or a snes scart cable.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so somehow I missed that the NES Zapper is incompatible with an AV FC until I actually tried it.
Any idea why it would support the NES controllers but not the Zapper?
mrdomino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because the famicom lightgun connects to the 15-pin expansion port (am i right in thinking the av famicom still has this?) - i'd imagine the av famicom's controller ports just don't have the necessary pins connected to allow for lightgun/non-standard controller input.

it might be possible to get a zapper working by connecting the controller port's pins to the expansion port, but then again i don't really know what i'm talking about, so maybe it isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: