Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:02 am

Bouken Roman for Famicom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrdomino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Bouken Roman for Famicom Reply with quote

i just came across a post in a game identification thread on famicom world linking to a yahoo taiwan auction here - the game didn't appear to be any famicom game anyone there had heard of, but the name seemed familiar to me.

googling its japanese romanisation, bouken roman, led me to an msx game i'd played some years ago, which was apparently planned for a famicom port that never happened (mentioned on this page somewhere). now, normally i'd just disregard this as a standard bit of pirate mislabelling with artwork ripped from an advert somewhere, but unreleased games have appeared on pirate carts before (time diver and megadrive tetris come to mind), so... maybe there's something in this?
ICEknight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reply is a bit off-topic but, are you sure that MD Tetris was never released officially? I remember one of those official MegaTech cabinets with that version of Tetris in it, along with Revenge of Shinobi and others.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it wasn't released, but i'm not 100% on that. i suppose it might have been a megatech-only release, and the pirates sourced it from there, that'd make sense.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sega did get the Japanese arcade rights for Tetris; MD Tetris is a port of their System16 arcade version. They could probably legally use it in Megatech cabinets even after the Mirrorsoft thing imploded, since that was in the arcade market. Even though they already had an arcade Tetris I'd guess they thought it was a decent way of recouping the costs of making an MD version they couldn't release.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way for those of us here in the US to bid on Yahoo Taiwan auctions? I'm very curious about what's on that cart.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way, yeah - I've done it from the UK, you can just use any international Yahoo account, but you have to go through some activation process before it will function as a taiwan auction account. that was all back in 2004 or so though, i don't know how much it's changed since then.

there's also the matter of convincing the seller to ship outside of Taiwan. they usually say they don't in the auction listings, but you can always ask... i tried about four at the time, of which one agreed. and of course knowledge of Chinese would be very handy at this point - in my case I didn't speak a word of Chinese and the seller didn't speak a word of English. god knows how we managed to conduct the entire transaction using babelfish alone, but it worked out, sort of.

edit: although with this one it might be worth asking the seller for a couple of screenshots or a brief description if they'd be willing to provide such things. then you could at least determine if this really is an otherwise unreleased game or just a mislabelled pirate of donkey kong jr before you actually go through with the whole buying-stuff-from-taiwan business
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to use a service like Celga that bids for you. They will often take special requests if you ask them for odd auctions or sites they don't normally tend to. They are awesome. Without them I would NEVER have amassed many valuable and rare items. You pay a bit for their services, but they are very reasonable and I just couldn't have done so many purchases without them.

-Rob
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdomino wrote:
i think it wasn't released, but i'm not 100% on that.

Copies were made, but it didn't make it to stores.
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necro bump, but that pirate cartridge recently appeared for sale. I'd try to get it but haven't had free money to spend in awhile, so I'll see if anyone here is interested? Though anyone that knows what they're doing could find it themselves, but in case some person with no intention of dumping it(if it's anything special that is) were to see the link, or if someone saw it as a cheap chance at getting something to resell for lots then that'd suck.

So if any of you archivers haven't seen it already, lemme know and I'll shoot the sale over. Not sure if over doing keeping it a secret Smile

Edit: Forget it, looks like the price is already being driven up. One of the bidders already has desperately been trying to get the guy to close the auction early LAUGHING OUT LOUD.

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21207077104674

I wasn't expecting anyone would know what this is but obviously there's at least two people there in a bidding war well aware of what it is.
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see it if it's the real deal since it's an early Atlus game.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the bidders on that auction actually know for sure that it's Bouken Roman, then? 6000 TWD (~200 US) is a lot to spend on something that might just turn out to be Adventure Island.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wouldn't be the first time an unpublished game was leaked via a bootleg version. Wasn't Time Diver Eon Man discovered through a bootleg cartridge?
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mrdomino used Time Diver as an example in the first post. I'm still confused how pirates get rare prototypes like this.

Auction ends in 14 hours at present. I take it no one here is going to try to get it?
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some had wondered if Time Avenger was licensed?
Strange that the only other game I've seen by the pirate company Nitra was a title hack of another (released) Taito game, Insector X.
Why rip off only two games by a single company?
GDRI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A source of mine thought Avenger was a pirate, but they weren't familiar with it, so that's not a definitive answer.

Ninja Gaiden for the Mega Drive was leaked about 20 years ago. Could hackers have gotten these games off of developer BBSes?
dragon2snow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bid failed,I have no chance to DUMP ROM
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying!
mrdomino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Some had wondered if Time Avenger was licensed?
Strange that the only other game I've seen by the pirate company Nitra was a title hack of another (released) Taito game, Insector X.
Why rip off only two games by a single company?

Yeah, it could be. There was a licensed Taito multicart for the Game Boy in Hong Kong (albeit released by Nintendo's official HK distributor, Mani) so Taito presumably wasn't averse to licensing its games to companies in the more bootleg-friendly parts of Asia.
mrdomino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I think we finally have confirmation -
http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums/topic/9211399/1/#post-8153060
it's just Legendary Wings. oh well.
GDRI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdomino wrote:
well I think we finally have confirmation -
http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums/topic/9211399/1/#post-8153060
it's just Legendary Wings. oh well.

That's really too bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: