Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

[PSX]Diablo (Prototype? // Pics Inside)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redvex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: [PSX]Diablo (Prototype? // Pics Inside) Reply with quote

Heya folks, just registered on this board with a bunch of questions.
Here we go, i had a couple of very old discs here and there, been sorting some stuff lately and decided to collect funny oldies.

Atm, i asked on other boards of all sorts about that Diablo disc i stashed for years, i recently decided to release an iso on some other boards, why not sharing it? ^^. But from the looks of it (though i might be wrong) it seems i had my hand on a serious rarity, getting zip from all the people i talked about it also collecting protos and betas.

So, long story short now, it this THAT rare ?
Funny sidenote, been offered 20-30-50euros for this disc a few years ago ^^
Edit: Crappy artifacts on screenies are due to random unconfigured epsxe.

Last edited by Redvex on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a CD-R? It just looks like an internal debug build burned from the internet or something, no company ID or distinguishing marks in your picture.
Redvex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it's not downloaded or burned by me, i had tons of import games by a friend. Cant tell you the exact obscure place he got that from^^. It was packed in a plastic sleeve and a badly printed diablo cover long before the final release. I had some other discs like that Rockman Dash, Bio Hazard 2 Beta, a weird Tomb Raider disc as well

Here's the "Tomb Raiders" one

I have no clue about this one either except menus being different and the game seems incomplete past lvl2. Got no tools or knowledge good enough to find debugs and stuff in that one.

Anyway those are very old discs from back in the days we imported stuff from asia and some stuff were sent by you know, "a friend of the friend" and whatnot.

I'll post the Bio Hazard disc.

Quote:
no company ID or distinguishing marks in your picture.
At the risk of sounding dumb, what did you mean by that?
I took the pics meself with epsxe last week, those aint googled shots.

Last edited by Redvex on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ProgrammingAce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he meant was that they don't look like an actual beta disc, and i tend to agree.

From the pictures and the description, i'd guess they're pirate silvers. Meaning they're not betas and they're probably not worth very much.
Redvex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the BH2 Beta Disc i had from him.

(Leon Disc, Beta with most debug stuff locked, you know the drill)

Also got that BH3 Disc, prolly just a JP copied disc i had weeks before release. It requires a provided GS code to skip a japanese warn, got trainers in it, Pal/NTSC Switch and, weird part i didnt get, a "Dreamcast Mode ON/OFF Option". Nothing unusual here i guess Smile

Also that Rockman Dash package (gotta find the disc^^ )

Just a regular JP one?

Anyway, i'll be repeating myself this is all outta curiosity about oldies, i aint interested in selling or any BS of that kind, just amazed to hear that how rare that Diablo thingy seemed to be.
If anyone is interested in having a look at those discs (D and TR) i can provide an iso, which i wont post here ofc. I guess it aint allowed Smile

While we're at it, is there a way to "ID" those games, version numbers and such and see if anyone messed with the data or not?

Last edited by Redvex on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suspect "Diablo", "Tomb Raiders" and "Bio Hazaed" to be pirate disks, with alterations to prevent the possibilty of a lawsuit. That's not to say they aren't pirates of protos - I've already seen weirder...

"Dreamcast Mode" on BioHazard 3 gives me the impresison that they were devving it for multiconsole from the beginning (I believe there is a Dreamcast version, is there not?).

Not sure I see anything special about the Rockman Dash thing - BEST PS makes me think of a rerelease line, but it doesn't seem to be in the list of "The Best" rereleases... Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_range
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Adventure Story in Halcyon Days" bit makes me think... pirates.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen that same line on official promotional materials/packaging in the past ("DIGOUTER" definitely rings a few bells).
mrdomino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think theres any doubt that they're pirates, but surely the point is that they might be pirates of potentially interesting and otherwise unavailable pre-release versions that were leaked to/stolen by some pirate outfits? same deal as the beta version of Sonic 2 that was found on some Hong Kong floppy disc.
captain_spite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:

"Digouters Adventure Story in Halcyon Days" = Rockman DASH = Japanese title (and subtitle) for Mega Man Legends. "Digouter" was what the Diggers are called in the Japanese version. Because they dig out treasure, you see.

I owned that very same pirated edition of Dash! It was the first thing I ever bought off eBay, because I had no idea what a "Hong Kong silver" version of a game was. So yeah, not a beta.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain_spite wrote:
KlarthAilerion wrote:

"Digouters Adventure Story in Halcyon Days" = Rockman DASH = Japanese title (and subtitle) for Mega Man Legends. "Digouter" was what the Diggers are called in the Japanese version. Because they dig out treasure, you see.

Huh. Learn something new every day I guess.
Redvex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrdomino wrote:
I don't think theres any doubt that they're pirates, but surely the point is that they might be pirates of potentially interesting and otherwise unavailable pre-release versions that were leaked to/stolen by some pirate outfits? same deal as the beta version of Sonic 2 that was found on some Hong Kong floppy disc.

I was wondering if there is a way/tool to "ID" those discs or any other psx game, if anyone messed with it, there should be traces of some sort huh?

That Diablo must be a beta, seeing how often it crashes, how bugged are some sounds and textures missing here and there.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahah. Wow.
The BH2 one has been in circulation online for a long time, and if that Tomb Raider disc is what I think it is it used to pop up on various devious places online too.

It's still fun to see some of these pop up every now and then :D
I think all of them have at some point been circulating online, but I've never personally seen the Diablo one with my own eyes, though. (I blame 64k ISDN pay pr. hour bandwidth for that)

I dunno if Hong Kong Silvers is an accurate description for all of those. I know a lot of people who picked up crates with (or used mailing lists to order) discs like these (and various homemade "multi game" discs with ripped music/FMVs and such + also 1:1 copies of retail versions, with awesome "takes" on the PlayStation name written on them). Most of them were either picked up around the Mediterranean or Asia.
Redvex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Laughing
Ya, but still got those back in the days the games werent out and there were no internet way to get them ^^

That BH beta's worthless now, you can dl it everywhere, i surely know that Smile

What bugged me, is your "THAT TR disc" ^^
Any clue you could provide? imo it looks like a simple unfinished game that crashes.

Thx for your reps and comments Smile
I guess it's more like PM stuff but if anyone could provide links about those thingies... Smile
Borman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diablo disk looks semi interesting Razz And I wouldnt say the Biohazard disk is worthless, there are still some people out there who would like the 'source' disk for the commonly available ISO
StriderVM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, actually coming from the Philippines, I've seen and played a lot of pirated games, including prototypes that were pirated, sadly, due to my inexperience, I wasn't able to keep even a single one of them, throwing them as "incomplete" games, why would I keep a game which is incomplete when I can buy another one in which you can actually complete the game? now I regret it.

I've played all of those games you mentioned. But they've been already been leaked online before, like the Biohazard 2 beta (Leon, partially blocked debug screen) as well as the Diablo and Tomb Raider protos.

Currently I'm looking for the rarest prototype I played, it was a prototype of the PSX version of Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver. I remember it being released by a group named as "Players" (A group uses a modified Pacers logo.)

Differences from the final I remember :

- In the main menu after pressing start, the statues in the final change after a few seconds, in the proto, they change if you highlight another part in the options.

- Places were sort of color coded, I remember the first area you explore as almost always blue or a shade of blue.

- Debug menu, I forgot which to press, but all settings in the debug menu works.

Well that's all, hope I helped. :)
Redvex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any clue about any interesting thingies in that TR Disc you might know of? Also found a beta of the 2nd one, both crashes a lot, seem incomplete, music and sounds are messy but no debug and whatnot just to brag around a lil ^^

Again thx for the replies Smile

(Nice on the DASH acryonym^^ never thought of that Razz )
Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Diablo one likes to freeze up during level loading randomly, was hoping to see just how far in I could go. I did manage to make it down pretty far in epsxe but then the emulator crashed from an unhandled opcode error
Redvex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it crashed as well when i tried on my PSX.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a copy of this floating around I can get my hands on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: