Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:52 am

Unreleased "Residents" Atari 2600 Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDRI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Unreleased "Residents" Atari 2600 Game Reply with quote

eBay Alert: Greg Easter, formerly a programmer of 2600 games at Atari, Inc. between 1982 and 1984, is selling some items related to an unreleased 2600 game he was working on based on the cult San Francisco band The Residents and their album Mark of the Mole. The collection includes:

- Sheet music
- Polaroids of the game screen
- Programming notes
- Two business cards

Via GameSetWatch via GameSniped
B00daW
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of true tones can be easily generated out of the Atari TIA (chip for audio/video in 2600 and 7800 machines.)

This one particularly strikes my interest because I have intimate experience with trying to produce audio and music out of the chip.

I would like to hear how the programmer intended to get a wide range of tones out of the TIA without a lot of additional processor revving and lagging; being that there are 5 bits of frequency modulation per "instrument"; resulting in pseudo-random tones low to high.

Here is an example of modern music using two 2600's; meaning two TIAs; resulting in 4 audio channels out.

Even though the song is catchy, the minimalism and glitchiness for the most part is intentional only due to designed limitations.

I've even read a lot of Paul Slocum's source for the sequencer kit that went into the SynthCart's production which made this music to see that there isn't much additional revving and lagging done to detune -- or in this case tune -- any of the 5-bit frequencies, passed through the 4-bit (in Slocum's kit sense... 3-bit) pre-assigned "instruments" through the two audio control oscillators (or channels.)

To quote Steve Wright in the Stella programmer manual:
Code:
The noise-tone generator is controlled by writing to the 4-bit audio control registers (AUDC0, AUDC1).  The values written cause different sounds to be generated.  Some are pure tones like a flute, others have various "noise" content like a rocket motor or explosion.  Even thought he TIA hardware manual list [sic] the sounds created by each value, some experimentation will be necessary to find "your sound".

At the moment, I'm unable to find the official documents by the hardware designers that state that this chip and other ones designed for and by Atari were designed first and last to be "cheap" and the hardware designers not only didn't understand music, but disliked it entirely. Smile

To restate, I'd like to know how he would be pulling off their music without severely detuning the notes. Very Happy
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Residents rule. Primus stole much of their sound, imo. Smile

-Rob
GDRI

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an article on Digital Press about the game here. Includes design notes and a one-second clip from an Atari marketing video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: