Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm

Codemasters/Samsung developed CD add-on for the NES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Codemasters/Samsung developed CD add-on for the NES Reply with quote

I just caught this blurb in an old issue of GamePro, I guess Codemasters and Samsung were developing a CD add-on unit for the NES. I don't know if this is common knowledge (news to me) so I'll type it out here:

Game Pro, March 1990, p74 wrote:
CD's for Nintendo?

That's right! A company from the United Kingdom, Codemaster [sic.], has developed an audio CD player for use with the Nintendo system. Samsung is manufacturing the hardware for this unusual unit and Camerica plans to distribute the product in the United States beginning this summer. If you buy the CD player and the interface together, the cost will be $159.95. One CD containing two games is included with the unit. Gamers will also be able to purchase the Nintendo Interface separately for $44.95. This should enable anyone with an audio CD player to hook it up to their Nintendo. Advantages to this system include game cost-one CD containing two or three games will be the same price as one traditional cartridge game, and one three-five meg game will cost less than a comparable cartridge game. Camerica currently plans to have six CD's available in July when the unit is released-three CD's with two games each on them, and three CD's, each with a three-five meg game on them. No word yet on what the games will be and remember, they're not likely to be compatible with other CD ROM game players. Super Nintendo has yet to announce any plans for an audio CD player or a CD ROM for their system we'll all be watching the development of this product with great interest.

Interesting. Given that the "Interface" can use your own CD player, I guess this is like a tape loader or the Starpath for the 2600. It also sounds like a predecessor to the Aladdin system.
PACHUKA

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://x-cult.org/!trash/GameProIssue008March1990page074.jpg
Kiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is CodeMasters, I'd assume whatever problems came along were related to Nintendo wanting to maintain it's stronghold, as opposed to something more along the lines o the SNESCD drama.
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that the Game Genie was originally called the Power Pak...I never knew that.

-Rob
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiddo wrote:
Since this is CodeMasters, I'd assume whatever problems came along were related to Nintendo wanting to maintain it's stronghold, as opposed to something more along the lines o the SNESCD drama.

I doubt Nintendo had any direct influence on this thing not coming out, I'm sure it was a combination of cost, interest, shelf space, etc. Alternate theory: after the uphill struggle of getting the Game Genie out in the U.S., they might not have had the energy/cash to try it again on a scarier, bulkier, and probably less profitable adventure.

It's still an interesting idea, and it might have taken off if they partnered with Atari, Color Dreams, etc. to release CD-based titles. At that point manufacturing cost would probably be less than 10% of what Nintendo would charge a licensed partner.

I could market this thing with two hands tied behind my back, sell it to Grandma at Christmas time for her grandkids with a "game of the month" subscription plan. Junior gets a brand new Nintendo game delivered on CD every month. Hell, package the CD with Camerica's own version of Nintendo Power, that advertises the hell out of their other games. Put demos on the CD even, why not? It's "Absolutely Brilliant!"
Vlcice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that Codemasters tried something similar for the Commodore 64 - I saw the CD on the Oliver Twin's site here. Being December 1989, it seems to be around the same time period. I wonder if the failure of that CD led them to abandon the NES CD player too.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlcice wrote:
I remember that Codemasters tried something similar for the Commodore 64 - I saw the CD on the Oliver Twin's site here. Being December 1989, it seems to be around the same time period. I wonder if the failure of that CD led them to abandon the NES CD player too.

Oh hey, good call, I forgot about that. I seem to read through this site every couple years or so, it's a fun journey.

I met Philip Oliver once, it didn't occur to me until a few days later that he was one of the twins...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: