Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:53 pm

Underrated games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gummo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wario Land on the virtual boy. The foreground/background aspect was intertwined into the gameplay really well, and added a cool new dimension (no pun intended) to a fairly traditional mario game.

i don't care what anyone says, virtual boy kicked ass. red alarm is a cool game too.

-gummo
Fabrizo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanrio Cup - So simple, and yet so entertaining. It had quite a few neat little secrets for those that played long enough to discover them to.

Gremlins 2 - Most people know about the movies, but no one seemably played the game. Its certanly long and difficult, but it had good music, the levels were varried, there were rpg'ish shops to buy items, it had the ever rare on nes 'cinematics', and most of all was fun from the beggining to end.
Extra Zesty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think Friday the 13th was underrated, and probably LJN's best NES game. My friend and I have been trying to solve it recently, and it's amazing how atmospheric it still is after all these years. Way back when I first played it Jason terrified me so much that I refused to play the game by myself. The graphics are good in a colorful sort of way, and I always thought the way the game started during the day and progressed to night as you played it was a nice, spooky touch.

Everyone I know who's played it seems to hate it though, mostly because Jason is so monstrously difficult to beat. The game's glitchy nature doesn't help either, since it's infuriating to light all of the fireplaces and fail to have the torch appear. However, touches like dead counselors staying dead for good and the fact that you really felt like you were up against an enemy many times stronger than you really drew me into the game. When Jason pops out unexpectedly I still jump out of my seat and freak out a little, even though the game's over fifteen years old now.

If you hated the game back in the day, read a FAQ, figure out what's going on, and give the game another try. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Edit: Oooh, also, The Guardian Legend! I know a lot of people haven't tried this game, but it's a great blend of a shooter and overhead action-RPG. The gameplay, graphics and music are all well above average and it's made by Compile, the same people who made Zanac. Hurrah!
merp
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra Zesty wrote:
I definitely think Friday the 13th was underrated, and probably LJN's best NES game.

I have a strong feeling that Vic Tokai is actually the developer for Friday the 13th as well as Gotcha! The Sport. The music is a dead giveaway for Gotcha!, but Friday the 13th is still questionable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Way back when I first played it Jason terrified me so much that I refused to play the game by myself. The graphics are good in a colorful sort of way, and I always thought the way the game started during the day and progressed to night as you played it was a nice, spooky touch.

I think my feelings on this game are generally known, but I still want to know why the hell Jason's mask is blue.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian Fucking Legend!
Extra Zesty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merp: That'd be neat if it were true, and maybe explain why some of LJN's games were at least somewhat playably decent (Jaws, The Karate Kid) while others were complete abominations (X-Men, Spiderman). Looking at the Spiderman intro, it says that the code was licensed from B.I.T.S. . I checked the Friday the 13th manual and it doesn't give credit to anyone but LJN though. Hmm. I wonder if there's a way you could dig through the ROM and see if there are any copyright strings hidden away.

Lugnut: What are your feelings on the game? I want to know Cool
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra Zesty wrote:
I wonder if there's a way you could dig through the ROM and see if there are any copyright strings hidden away.

ROMsearcher, dude.
Blues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gummo wrote:
Wario Land on the virtual boy. The foreground/background aspect was intertwined into the gameplay really well, and added a cool new dimension (no pun intended) to a fairly traditional mario game.

i don't care what anyone says, virtual boy kicked ass. red alarm is a cool game too.

-gummo

Amen!

You know, the funny thing about Virtual Boy's
failure is that Nintendo took every step to prevent
it from happening. Sure there was a lack of
software when the system launched, but the problem
really was that people complained that it hurt their
eyes if they played it too long.

.....which is exactly what Nintendo wasted
their time warning people about in every single
instruction booklet.
There was even an
auto-rest function included in every Virtual Boy
game that would pause the game every 15
minutes so that you could take a break and
rest your eyes, but did people take heed?
No. I don't know about the VB's reception in Japan,
but it's reception in the US doesn't surprise me at all.
The vast majority of the US gaming population has
always been made up of fucking retards.
spoondiddly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I will die a heretic for saying "Dance Aerobics", how about "Fire and Ice"? I have yet to hear of anyone that has actually played the game.
An easy second would be "Tricky Kick", a rather difficult puzzler on TG16. Heck, virtually ever game on TG16 went unnoticed or were simply forgotten.

(oh, and Dance Aerobics has a version of twister that will kick you in the pants)
Yashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catrap for Game Boy. Good room-by-room puzzle game.
Victorious Boxers/Hajime no Ippo series on PS2. Best boxing ever that isn't Punch-Out.
Spot: The Video Game
Mario's Super Picross (maybe not underrated so much as it is unknown)
Championship Bowling for Genesis.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashiro, if you don't actually have the game that your avatar is from, and a NGPC to play it on, you have to get a new avatar. It's a rule.
Yashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
Yashiro, if you don't actually have the game that your avatar is from, and a NGPC to play it on, you have to get a new avatar. It's a rule.

Had the game, sold it. Still have the NGPC though. And Turf Masters. Which I should've put on my list.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally. And Gabare. I guess that's more unknown than underrated.
SlyphGlitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: GC... Reply with quote

I always thought that Baiten Katos was a lot better then many reviewers made it out to be.

If you like Lost Kingdoms 1, 2, PSO 3 or any card based battler, go get BK, it is a good game.

Baiten Katos has very production values, unlike the games I listed above.

Last edited by SlyphGlitch on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few that popped into my head today. And strangely enough, most of 'em are Hudson-connected.

Bonks Adventure. Yes, I'm calling Bonk's Adventure and it's sequels underrated. True that it was NEC's mascot, but think about it... do you really see anyone mention Bonk nowadays in these nostalgia threads? When you read about the early 16-bit/late 8-bit eras, do you see this game mentioned? And have many people even played the sequels? While most people scoff mascot games, I had a blast playing all the Bonk games. That includes the non-TG16 ports. It had some really interesting gameplay elements to it, very amusing graphics, and just the kind of game that fell into the same catagory as a ton of action/mascot games at the time, but STILL managed to stand out as something unique... it just didn't seem to stand out enough to be talked about for the years to come.

what I wouldn't give for that GameCube remake to see a domestic release. Hell, I'd BUY a GameCube just for that.

The MonsterLand (WonderBoy) games: These games just absorb your soul. Something about open-world SD-Anime Swords N' Sorcery action adventure just glues me. I hear a few people give it props, but it still falls under "underrated". Too bad you don't really hear anything from Westone nowadays; they could really fill the void I've seen in gaming.

Super Adventure Island 2: I'm really surprised I don't see many people talk about this, what with all the SotN/Metroid-style fans out there. It's pretty much WonderBoy meets oldschool Adventure Island (which is ironic because the original WonderBoy ended up being cloned as the first Adventure Island game). And yet, much like Demonhead, I haven't seen anyone at ALL really discuss it in very much detail. It's a very interesting title that really got passed up.

Low G Man: Right now you're looking at me and thinking "Nigga IZ YOU CRAZY!?" Nope, it had some flaws, but the combination of being able to jump for like six screens, being able to highjack different vehicles, and the really bizzare attack system... that won me over. BUT, I understand why this game is not considered underrated by some. Now if only this game could have gotten some better graphical treatment...
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:

what I wouldn't give for that GameCube remake to see a domestic release. Hell, I'd BUY a GameCube just for that.

Dude, buy and mod a cube. It's insanely worth it.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this one PS2 title I think never got the attention it deserved, and that was

"Spy Fiction"

Seriously, not only does the game look really good, but it has lots of cool gameplay stuff.

(It's kinda like Mission Impossible 64 + Metal Gear Solid + Tomb Raider)

I love this game, funny though, when they released it in English, they retouched the light system in the game and made several changes, one of them was for some reason re-recording all dialogue (it was in English in the Japanese version too)
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Bonks Adventure. Yes, I'm calling Bonk's Adventure and it's sequels underrated.

Word. A couple years ago, I found a well-worn copy of Super Bonk for the SNES purely by accident. Though I'd never played it, I just HAD to pick it up, and now it's one of my most favoritest games, like, ever.

Ichiban Crush wrote:
Low G Man:...Now if only this game could have gotten some better graphical treatment...

What's wrong with the graphics? I personally loved KID's art style (other KID games: the GI Joe series, Isolated Warrior, Kick Master, Doki Doki Yuuenchi, Rock'n'Ball). The game would've been much more enjoyable if it ran faster than 5fps, though.
Ichiban Crush

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
The game would've been much more enjoyable if it ran faster than 5fps, though.

That's kind of what I was refering to, not so much graphics. The actual graphics themselves are okay, but because the framerate is so choppy... yeaaaaaaah...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: