Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:10 am

Underrated games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i've never played it does that make me a sinner?
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. It just means that your soul is black, and your heart void of love.
zillford
FURRY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, Red, WAS the early Monkey Island series underrated?

I thought they were highly known at their time...
didn't they help re-start the adventure game crazy?

Money Island 3 is my favorite... and no one knew about that one 'cause it came out when adventure games were at their lowest.
The Uber Hamm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading some of the posts, I believe that JT is going to take over the world any minute now....

Oh right, the topic. The most underrated game is ... uh ... *realizes self knows shit about shit* ah, mcfuckit.
nateJC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many of these you guys consider underrated, but these are some of my favorites that I never hear anyone talk about.

Karate Kid
Rush'n Attack
Solomon's Key
Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Spot: The Video Game (not Cool Spot. This is like Othello, except it doesn't suck)
Star Soldier
To the Earth (Best. Zapper game. Ever. Okay, maybe not as fun as Duck Hunt, but it's still awesome)

Jackie Chan Action Kung-Fu probably doesn't count either, but that is possibly the greatest NES game of all time, IMHO.

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nateJC, if you liked Solomon's Key then you should give Fire 'n Ice a try.. Fire 'n Ice, in case you didn't know, was released in European markets as Solomon's Key 2. Why the difference? I'm not sure yet, but I'm determined to find out....
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nate: I'll have to agree about JCAKF being underated. Hell, I'd play the game even if it meant playing the scary looking pirate redone as "Mario [insert two digit sequel number here]".

Klarth: I might be wrong on this, but I seem to recall Nintendo Power hyping Fire 'n Ice as the sequel to Solomon's Key. Not sure why the title change though.

*EDIT: Typed an "OVERrated" when I meant "underrated"

Last edited by Ichiban Crush on Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Jackie Chan is grate. I remember renting it when it was new and having no idea who the hell Jackie Chan was. And indeed, Karate Kid is possibly the only decent thing LJN ever shat out.

I always liked Star Force a lot too.
ClamIAm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say M.C. Kids was pretty underrated. Yes, it's basically an ad for McDonald's, but the actual gameplay is pretty good, and it has a very good engine for a/n NES (eff dis grammar) game.

As long as you can get over the more insane things.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClamIAm wrote:
I would have to say M.C. Kids was pretty underrated. Yes, it's basically an ad for McDonald's, but the actual gameplay is pretty good, and it has a very good engine for a/n NES (eff dis grammar) game.

As long as you can get over the more insane things.
I always thought that game was awfully hard, considering it was aimed at younger kids. It's pretty long, too. Out of all the times I've played the game, I think I only beat it once...
Morzas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics Ogre is pretty under-rated. I think ToastyFrog put it on his list of really disappointing games.
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Lap Twin for the PCE is another underrated game. Its story mode was similar to Dragon Warrior's but you would race in the battles instead of fight.

Some of the character's you had to race (Guido comes to mind) reminded me of the "ricers" in high school. They would always say stupid crap like "My car is the fastest. I challenge you to a race. You don't stand a chance!!!", then once in a race, they would lose control of their shitty plastic cars and fishtail into a lightpole, dying a gruesome yet fitting death... 'cept of course there isn't any lightpoles, or even a stout oak tree, in Final Lap Twin to eliminate these irritating characters once and for all (a rare instance in which life is better than videogames). In fact, it's the only complaint I have of the game, as these annoying racers appeared, on average, in one of every three random encounters.

Also, Tecmo Super Bowl rocks!!! I'll take it over Madden any day.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fucking love Final Lap Twin. "Battles" that rely more on YOUR skill than those generated for your characters are a good thing. And the bosses in this game were TOUGH, no matter what "level" you were at.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
"Battles" that rely more on YOUR skill than those generated for your characters are a good thing.

You, sir, need to play any of the Mario RPGs, though Mario and Luigi is the most extreme example of this. It's all about timing.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mario RPG's. Kinda cheesy at times, but dammit, its the usual Nintendo fun. I'm going to have to get the gameboy player for my Gamecube now, just for the Mana, FFTA and Mario and Luigi games.
PopaSmear
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get metroid fusion too. OOOH! and the castlevania games. well, the first and third. OH! and wario land 4.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the Castlevania games were good, and Metriod (how could I forget?)... and for a bit of nostalgia the SMB Advance series.

Golden Sun is okay, only if it was cheap, Lunar not really worth it. Umm... Can't seem to remember any other ones I wanted to get...
Ancient Oldie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Emblem, Mario Kart Advance, Tactics Ogre - KOL, and Sword of Mana are all great games for the GBA. The Megaman games (both the Zero and the Battle Network series) are good as well if you're a fan of the series.

Another underrated game is the NES version of Pool of Radiance. It's my second favorite RPG for the console, right behind Dragon Warrior 4.
nixon
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started Dragon Warrior 1 last night. First time I've ever played a DW game. Not so bad so far. Killed a few slimes, annoyed about having to go to a menu to talk all the time, but so far kinda fun. The overworld music is kinda catchy.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PopaSmear wrote:
OOOH! and the castlevania games. well, the first and third.

Nobody listen to this uncultured swine. I played Harmony last, after finishing both Circle and Aria, and I ended up liking it the best out of all of them. It just FELT right, somehow...like a really good oldschool platformer Castlevania, only with a Symphony of the Night-style exploration element. Or maybe it's just the whip that turned me on, I dunno.

But why the hate? Don't fucking say anything about the music, either. Any musical piece that sounds like it's being pumped out of a TurboGrafx is automatically great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: