Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

February 2004 - Feature: Realize Games' River City Ransom 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's let the furry thing rest. You remember LAST time we had this discussion.*

*oy vey.

Last edited by TheRedEye on Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
HayakawaKen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zillford - It was the Electronics Botique in San Antonio, Texas.. having so many farfetched stories pass through the store, I thought this was just another one. The guy seemed nice enough, was a Hokuto No Ken fan, was cool n stuff.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Armen was all about keeping that magical feel.

The magical quality feel?!
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Let's let the furry thing rest. You remember LAST time we had this discussion.*

*oy vey.

Heh, it was just a comment, no need to get angry about it. 'Sides, the important thing here is our love of a nearly twenty-year old console for the most part. :P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballz wrote:
I have since gained about 7 pounds, putting me over 130 pounds for the first time in my life.

Keep it up.

zillford wrote:
as far as 'combos' go, I think each character was going to have a different fighting style (similar to the 4 character Kunio fighting game, "Blah-blah-blah-nekketsu-blah-somthing-japanese")

Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Heh, it was just a comment, no need to get angry about it. 'Sides, the important thing here is our love of a nearly twenty-year old console for the most part. :P

I'm not angry, it's just that last time the subject came up between zillford and me, it turned into a four-hour debate on why my liking old Tex Avery cartoons is or is not indicative of me being a "furry."

Subject dropped. Another time, another place.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lugnut wrote:
Quote:
Armen was all about keeping that magical feel.

The magical quality feel?!

Isn't that supposed to be QUAILY, or something? And please, please tell me that *BARF!!* would have been kept intact for RCR2.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a real shame this game didn't get materialized. It sounds like it had potential to be a really great sequel. And four player cooperative play? Man I would've been ecstatic for that. Would've been just like the old days in Konami's arcade beatem ups. Not to mention that cooperative play in video games is ignored completely these days in favor of bland vs mdoes.

Instead we get a GBA remake of RCR. Yay for yet another GBA remake. :P I guess it might be great for people who can't find the original Nes game, but everytime I hear about a GBA remake a port, it irks me now. The only remake on the GBA worth playing so far is Metroid Zero Mission. Though I'll probably get River City Ransom EX just to support it. Hey if it does well maybe someday we'll see Kunio and Riki return in brand new games. Wishful thinking I know.
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is this fun yet?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says River City Ransom EX is just a simple remake? Remember that the original River City Ransom was never truly completed. There were many unused stuff in the original NES game such as sprites, music and even an unused ending. The X68k and PC Engine ports didn't do much to remedy that, since they were handled outside of Technos. However, River City Ransom EX will most likely contain all of that and then some.

After all, Double Dragon Advance wasn't a mere port either. Give it a chance!
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been so many cheap made for a quick buck GBA remakes, that I've just been cynical whenever any are announced. I guess I'd just prefer to see brand new 2D games on the GBA, since that system could be the last 2D system we ever see. Nevertheless I will most likely buy River City Ransom EX when it comes out and give it a fair chance. I also forgot about the Double Dragon remake. I haven't played that one yet.

If the River City Ransom remake restores the developer's original ending intention, then I will be pretty happy. It always irked me that there are graphics stored in the rom from an apparently more finished ending, that never got placed into the game. I know about deadlines and such, but I don't really understand what would've been so difficult for them to program the ending before retail, since they had all the graphics and animation for it ready.

Edit: Incidently I also agree with you about Famitsu. I never understood why so many gamers hold that mag's opinion as if it's the end all be all of game opinions. Apparently if something doesn't meet Famitsu's expectations, the game officially sucks. Well Famitsu can kiss my ass. I've never relied on magazine reviews for reviews.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an alternate ending in RCR? Is this in the US rom? I ask so I can go dig for it. I have seen some of the unused graphics - I still don't get why they left Kunio's squeaky-clean ass in the sauna intact. Hee.

Oh, and does anyone know if this alternate ending is in the Japanese version? Johnny?

Arnold: No shit, man. That's why I really don't like the GBA anymore. All those SNES [and NES, the E-Reader and those Japanese carts count] ports that are just... shitty. As if they wanted to just make a quick buck with the ones that grew up with the games.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're just assuming that the unused graphics were from an alternate ending. No one's got solid info either way, and there's almost no differences between Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari and River City Ransom (minus the clothing and script).
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 26 isn't completely abysmal for Famitsu. That's still an average rating of 6/7 from each reviewer, though I dunno what each one actually gave it.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li Wang wrote:
Actually, 26 isn't completely abysmal for Famitsu. That's still an average rating of 6/7 from each reviewer, though I dunno what each one actually gave it.

On a 10 point scale, that isn't much.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The true ending is not in any version of the game so far. In the Japanese ROM, you'll see unused sprites for Hasebe and Mami, the main female characters (instead of the generic sprites used in the actual game). They're loaded to the system's RAM during the ending credits, but are not actually used.

Even more interesting, in the US rom, you'll see face shots of Kunio and Riki instead (presumably for the character select screen). I believe River City Ransom was actually based from an even earlier build of the game due to the lack of a difficulty level, only one 2-Player Mode and no quick save feature.

There's also a few more random sprites such as a naked lady in the sauna and Kunio doing his trademarked gangster-style kneeling pose.

Double Dragon Advance is a great remake. It's less of a quick port and more of a modernized version of the original game, which is how a remake should be to begin with. There's a bunch of new stuff added in (mostly derived from the later games and home versions) and some slick artwork. If you consider yourself a Technos, then pick it up now. It almost makes up for the stuff they left out in Super Double Dragon.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
I believe River City Ransom was actually based from an even earlier build of the game due to the lack of a difficulty level, only one 2-Player Mode and no quick save feature.

River City Ransom has a difficulty setting.

There was/were (an)other two player mode(s) in Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari? Just a simple Double Dragon style choice for players being allowed to damage each other or not?
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another thought. Any idea if any unused dialog is in Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari?
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:

On a 10 point scale, that isn't much.

But it isn't terrible. Those guys have always been tough at grading stuff.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
River City Ransom has a difficulty setting.

What I meant was that it was lacking the medium settting from the JPN version.

Quote:
There was/were (an)other two player mode(s) in Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari? Just a simple Double Dragon style choice for players being allowed to damage each other or not?

Yep. Pretty much.

Quote:
I had another thought. Any idea if any unused dialog is in Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari?

It's quite possible. I never tried it myself though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: