Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 am

February 2004 - Feature: Realize Games' River City Ransom 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of co-op is one thing. Lack of co-op WHEN THE BOX SPECIFICALLY MENTIONS CO-OP is just out of line. I'm not buying this game.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KlarthAilerion wrote:
Beeshu wrote:
I also love how the Double Dragon theme plays when you fight the twins.

Did I miss something here? Isn't that in the original?

Yes, it is. I was about to make the same comment.
Beeshu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
KlarthAilerion wrote:
Beeshu wrote:
I also love how the Double Dragon theme plays when you fight the twins.

Did I miss something here? Isn't that in the original?

Yes, it is. I was about to make the same comment.

I never said it wasn't in the original, it was simply a remark. I don't remember everything about a game I last finished over a decade ago, you know.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realzied this, but they took out that awesome boss theme that plays when you fight Ivan or Tex. Kinda dissapointing since that was my favorite tune.
KingMike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Lack of co-op is one thing. Lack of co-op WHEN THE BOX SPECIFICALLY MENTIONS CO-OP is just out of line. I'm not buying this game.

Is it a standard to say "Multiplayer games require [number of copies needed] and a Game Boy Advance Link Cable (sold seperately)" for any game with any link functions, or is it just the games I own complete packages of? (apparently, RCREX uses the link cable only to trade save stats between carts?).

I know Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow says that, even though to my knowledge, the linking is only used to trade souls. And I don't think Lunar Legend uses linking other than for trading purposes either.
zillford
FURRY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threeboy wrote:
goot article, sucks that the fan project got scrapped.

i'm gonna get the atlus version because i'm a sucker for river city ransom.

Gah! it wasn't a "fan project"!

okies, that's all I got.
Plaguefox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

No, seriously. Bump. Not as in a "oh man huh huh just 'cause it's fun" bump.

But a real bump like this:

"Now that more than a year has passed and all of us who were willing have thoroughly enjoyed River City Ransom EX, how do we look back on that game? And how should we look forward to a (potential) sequel?"

But more to the point: What is Realize Games up to, now? With the team-members and rights they had, they could have produced something really awesome for us RCR fans. Are they still around today? Are they still plotting that aforementioned "opus"? Would they ever consider "River City Ransom Deluxe" for the DS or the PSP will full four-player wifi?

We've all solidified our opinions on what River City Ransom EX was, and we may have been delighted or disappointed. Now that we've had time to simmer, would we have preferred Armen's vision of River City Ransom 2 over the game Atlus brought us? And since EX was simply a remake, can a project such as RCR2 still be realized?

What do you think?
Chojin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

que?
The Green Meanie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone just brought up a 7 month old thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a bunch of valid points, slackers.
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the current incarnation of Technos Japan is willing to do anything more with the characters. Hell, they won't even do REMAKES anymore, they're just using emulators and ROMs for their new releases.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Zillford will chime in on this himself, but I think Armen made it pretty clear he has no further intentions of using the River City Ransom title. He probably should have followed his lawyer's advice, though. Copyright law does little if you don't defend your properties. It might even have been possible to retain rights to the name while licensing it somehow to Atlus, granting funds to go towards completing their own RCR game. I think he's moved on to other projects for good though.
Plaguefox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Perhaps Zillford will chime in on this himself, but I think Armen made it pretty clear he has no further intentions of using the River City Ransom title. He probably should have followed his lawyer's advice, though. Copyright law does little if you don't defend your properties. It might even have been possible to retain rights to the name while licensing it somehow to Atlus, granting funds to go towards completing their own RCR game. I think he's moved on to other projects for good though.

I'd love to hear what Zillford has to say! It's also unfortunate to hear that Armen's already made a concrete decision on such, but that's why I asked. Thanks for the answers!

River City Ransom deserves more lovin' than this, from any involved parties. Sez me, anyway.

And whoah, hello there Chojin! See the aim link down there under my post? Use it and say hello or something somesuch. I haven't heard from you in forever and a minute.
Chojin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I know you?

I was inebriated from the years 1998 to 2001. Since then I've found Jesus. This isn't about some patenity suit is it?
merp
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new River City Ransom RPG by Air Team. I doubt anybody will get around to translating it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Razor_Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Yeah, I hate to kick off my new account with an ultra-bump, but if I don't post here, I'll explode.

I'm young. A kid. Probably even younger than you're imagining right now. I've been playing River City Ransom since I my carples were seasoned enough to grasp a controller (much to my non-violent mother's disdain). What a classic. Fighting the Dragon Twins alongside my dad always made me so happy. I still play that game, along with the other Nekketsu/Kunio games that, for the most part, never made it out of Japan.

Technos Co. was a huge group of geniuses. They've managed to please me with *most* of their games (what the heck was with Crash'n the Boys?). It's really too bad they went bankrupt, because their games owned. As an honest-to-earth Kunio fan, you could imagine my joy when I saw 'River City Ransom EX' while surfing the net.

I got it for my birthday. An awesome game. I beat it over and over, gained allies, met Titus, created a character...you know, all of that awesome crap. I even emulated it a put a bunch of vids on YouTube. I still do.

I was randomly surfing the net again when I found the River City Ransom 2 article.

Why, Armen? I still can't grasp it. Why did he just let go? What an awesome idea, and he lets one little other project stop him. Out of respect for the 'other guys'. What a cool guy! They ignored his ownership rights, but did he get back at them? No! He didn't even press charges! But let me tell you something. Did the 'other guys' respect him? No. They didn't. River City Ransom EX wasn't even a sequel for Christ's sake! If I were put in Armen's nifty little shoes, I would've put production on hiatus until Atlus's work was released and hype settled down, started working on the project again, and rubbed the demo in Atlus's selfish, double-crossing faces!

I'm getting experienced in Game Maker now. I'm making my OWN River City Ransom sequel. Let Atlus try and stop me. I mean, it'd be really neat if Atlus came out with 'River City Ransom EX 2', but I'd still be making an RCR game. I don't have to sell it. I don't need any competition with Atlus!

If they come whining to me about 'copyright issues', I'll tell the peeps "Sorry, you have no control over that. ARMEN owns River City Ransom, pals."

And there's nothing they can do about it.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go, whippersnapper.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Razor_Guardian wrote:
Why, Armen? I still can't grasp it. Why did he just let go? What an awesome idea, and he lets one little other project stop him. Out of respect for the 'other guys'. What a cool guy! They ignored his ownership rights, but did he get back at them? No! He didn't even press charges!

I don't believe Armen owned any rights to the River City Ransom games. He registered the expired trademark, which gave him the right to create a game called River City Ransom, but the copyrights to the game and characters don't appear to have ever expired. Armen never had the legal right to create any game using the River City Ransom characters, setting, and all the rest, and it's clear from the style of the sprites in the Lost Levels article that it's a derivative work of the original game; if he had released his game he would probably have been sued by the copyright holders.

(That said, they could possibly have taken the Rage of the Dragons route, though it's possible Noise Factory only avoided being sued because no one ever cared about their game.)

It is a shame the sequel never had the chance to see the light of day, though. It would have been nice if he had been able to shop it to Atlus. Good luck with your fangame!
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

Razor_Guardian wrote:
Technos Co. was a huge group of geniuses. They've managed to please me with *most* of their games (what the heck was with Crash'n the Boys?).

Crash 'n' the Boys: Street Challenge was the translation and localization of the Japanese Famicom game Bikkuri Nekketsu Shin Kiroku! Harukanaru Kin Medal, and it fit into the mix of Kunio sports games that were released on the Famicom by Technos Japan such as Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen (aka Nintendo World Cup), U.S. Championship V'Ball (aka Super Spike V'Ball), Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde Dairantou (aka the unreleased Crash 'N' The Boys: Ice Challenge), and multiple other sports titles that were not brought to the US, including marital arts and basketball games.

There were also other games that they made that were more similar to River City Ransom (including the older Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, which was released in America as Renegade). Crash 'n' the Boys wasn't meant to be any more similar to River City Ransom than World Cup, Super Spike V'Ball, or any of the other games were.

If you knew all that already, sorry for spinning the wheels. If you didn't, you may want to try and play some of the fan translations of those titles, to help you get a better feeling for the Kunio / Hot-Blooded Highschool universe.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Renegade is nothing like River City Ransom. I don't know what you're drinking, but with the day I'm having, I want some.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Front Page News & Articles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: