Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

Rayman for SNES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billscat-socks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Rayman for SNES Reply with quote

Someone posted this on unseen64 today. Sharing it in the hopes that it spreading around will lead to someone searching for it and getting it one day.

Asaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of creepy looking.

Rayman needs a diet.
Ichiban Crush
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire
Vaporware Detective Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayman #1 looks like he has a black eye.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowwww that's crazy! This must predate the Jaguar version, right?
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horizontal resolution looks kind of wide to me for a SNES, status bar included. Is it possible that these are just mockups and the SNES version was avortée earlier than the caption lets on?

(I loved, loved, loved the first one on PS1, so this is amazing to me either way)
TheRedEye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
The horizontal resolution looks kind of wide to me for a SNES, status bar included. Is it possible that these are just mockups and the SNES version was avortée earlier than the caption lets on?

(I loved, loved, loved the first one on PS1, so this is amazing to me either way)

Yeah, it kind of looks like Amiga to me, though that probably doesn't make sense.
ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised, having watched the Comix Zone, Sonic Spinball and Sonic MARS pitch animations running on an Amiga.

They probably used them to make all the graphics (seeing as Dpaint was the program of choice for console games, back then) and later made some mockups for internal use, without caring much about the resolution.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I was AMAZED!
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resolution is somewhere between 300 and 380 pixels. The "K" in "SKOPS" is a good reference for single pixels in the original. Scale the entire image down to make them actual discrete pixels, and you get a resolution that can't fit on the SNES.

You guys are probably right about guessing DPaint or some other mockup.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, i don't believe that. Maybe the reason the game actually got cancelled is because it had to be downscaled so much that the only way left in bringing the original, creative vision actually to life would've only been possible on a more powerful system...

The actual provider of the scan, TYKUN at Unseen64 said :

Quote:
It's the very early version of Rayman, before Atari Jaguar or Playstation, the game was initially made for Super Nintendo but the developers were more interested by the CD-Rom format, they scrapped this version and remade entirely the game as we know it.

and most importantly :

Quote:
It comes from a French retrogaming magazine, Pix'n'love, it's the last one, it's an article about the creation of Rayman, Michel Ancel talks about it, I guess he gives those rare screenshots to this magazine.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems actually genuine, Pix 'n Love IS a French Retro-mag, and had a Rayman cover-story in it, a collectors edition it even seems...

Edit :

More info

Quote:
Consoles
- Interview Michel Ancel : Rayman, les origines

I've put two shots together, so one can compare the original and final Mr. Skops...

ICEknight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's Gamer wrote:
To be honest, i don't believe that. Maybe the reason the game actually got cancelled is because it had to be downscaled so much that the only way left in bringing the original, creative vision actually to life would've only been possible on a more powerful system...

Quote:
It's the very early version of Rayman, before Atari Jaguar or Playstation, the game was initially made for Super Nintendo but the developers were more interested by the CD-Rom format, they scrapped this version and remade entirely the game as we know it.

What does the actual text in the scan say, though? Perhaps it's implying that it was planned for the SNES CD? That alone would have allowed them to use so much variety in the graphics.
Vlcice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote there is a more or less accurate translation of the caption. It definitely suggests that this was a cartridge game, not a CD game.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90's Gamer wrote:

Wow, totally inconsistent with what you were saying about Stunt Race. Eras do end. Ambition outstrips the capabilities of systems, and it happened to every generation of consoles.
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
90's Gamer wrote:

Wow, totally inconsistent with what you were saying about Stunt Race. Eras do end. Ambition outstrips the capabilities of systems, and it happened to every generation of consoles.

Guess you misunderstood me. What i meant was that eras for gamers do not have to end, as this thread actually proofs. For developers however it is an entirely different story, as they are focussed on the expanded possibilities of hard 'n software, just like you said. Developers are therefore limited to hardware that is actually sold, that is, they are limited to the market. Gamers however are not, they can indeed limit themselves to one 'era' by discarding other so-called era's, but that doesn't have to be necessarily the case. As for myself and i guess most other people here on Lost Levels, eras are perceived as limitations upon yourself. So long 8-, 16-, 32-, 64-, 128-bit games and consoles remain popular among gamers these 'post-marketed' eras are still going on, even tough there isn't any actual profit being made by developers. To summarize : Fun doesn't have to be limited by time, nor by fashions or markets nor by abstractions such as number of bits...

Last edited by 90's Gamer on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
90's Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICEknight wrote:
90's Gamer wrote:

Quote:

What does the actual text in the scan say, though? Perhaps it's implying that it was planned for the SNES CD? That alone would have allowed them to use so much variety in the graphics.

Sorry, but French isn't my strongest point, but what TYKUN said is i guess quite in the right direction as an actual translation of the article.
KingMike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
The resolution is somewhere between 300 and 380 pixels. The "K" in "SKOPS" is a good reference for single pixels in the original. Scale the entire image down to make them actual discrete pixels, and you get a resolution that can't fit on the SNES.

Did any SNES games actually use the high resolution mode for gameplay?
Those most use I know was for menu screens in games like Secret of Mana/SD3, and a few RPGs that enabled in for the dialogue window to display high-resolution kanji (Madara 2, G.O.D., Treasure of the Rudras)
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any SFC games that had actual high-resolution ingame graphics or levels. The games that I know used the highres mode for their text layers only.

Anyway, SFC highres mode is 512 pixels wide. The SFC can't do any intermediate resolutions between 256 and 512 horizontally, so it's easy to detect when some "SNES" screenshot is actually running on a different system.
Celine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
Tongueman wrote:

Did any SNES games actually use the high resolution mode for gameplay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Racing
Problem is that Snes's Hi Res mode limit the color width.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I thought RPM Racing used only the interlaced mode, but it does use both interlaced and hi-res.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: