Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

Evan, about SNES Central unrelease list.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Evan, about SNES Central unrelease list. Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:

Diamond Challenge was probably Downtown Nekketsu Baseball Story (released in Japan).

Interesting. How come I've never heard of Diamond Challenge before? It would make sense to be Nekketsu Baseball, considering all the localized Kunio-kun titles that were planned under the Crash 'n the Boys banner had the word "Challenge" in their titles (i.e: Street Challenge, Ice Challenge and Soccer Challenge).

I imagine "Technos Wrestling" might had been a planned localized version of Hybrid Wrestler sans Masakatsu Funaki's presence and the Pancrase license in the game.

I never understood why American Technos never localize any of Technos Japan's SNES games except for Super DD and Combatribes? All they released were Super Bowling and Super Pinball, neither which were made by Technos and didn't require much in the way of translation. They didn't even bother publishing the Popeye games Technos Japan made for them in the place of a Shadow Force port (which you might want to add to your list). Aside from releasing River City Ransom in the US, American Technos was pretty much useless in my opinion.
Kid Fenris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeman wrote:
crawd - can you verify that Romancing Saga statement? That would be cool be some cool uncommon knowledge, if true.

I couldn't find anything attributed to Ted Woolsey, but the May 1996 issue of GameFan includes a letter from Christa Hamano-Morse, who states that she e-mailed Square's American branch about their SNES games. She paraphrases their reply as this:

"Japan is the one who decides which games come over to the U.S. If America was to decide, we'd have brought everything they made over here. We got many letters concerning which games come over and we may bring Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Bahamut Lagoon, and Romancing SaGa 3 under the title of Final Fantasy IV. I am not absolutely sure that we will bring out these titles, but for sure we cannot bring the original Front Mission."

Make of that what you will.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan, about SNES Central unrelease list. Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
I never understood why American Technos never localize any of Technos Japan's SNES games except for Super DD and Combatribes?

Money.

It was, and still is, expensive to bring out a game, when you don't know if the game will be popular or not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Evan, about SNES Central unrelease list. Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Johnny Undaunted wrote:
I never understood why American Technos never localize any of Technos Japan's SNES games except for Super DD and Combatribes?

Money.

It was, and still is, expensive to bring out a game, when you don't know if the game will be popular or not.

Maybe so, but the game industry has always been about taking risks in order to make money. Imagine if Nintendo had let the videogame crash affect their decision to bring the Famicom to the US.

In my opinion, American Technos did more harm to themselves (and to their parent company) by not localizing any of the Kunio games than they did in actually doing so. I mean, what's the point of establishing a foreign subsidiary if they're not gonna publish any of your work (especially work they made for them like the Popeye game)? Hell, at least I wonder why they had Tradewest and Acclaim publish the Double Dragon games instead of doing it themselves.

Besides, they distributed all of Technos Japan's Arcade games since DD2 in the US and in my opinion, Arcade games are a more risky business than console games.
kap
Minister of Paranoia
Minister of Paranoia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Evan, about SNES Central unrelease list. Reply with quote

Johnny Undaunted wrote:
Besides, they distributed all of Technos Japan's Arcade games since DD2 in the US and in my opinion, Arcade games are a more risky business than console games.

No way.

With a console game you have to create art for the packaging, a manual, send the game off to Nintendo to have it judged "safe" and then manufactured (during most of the NES days anyway), and then you have to pray for favorable reviews if you don't have mindblowing graphics because kids are stupid.

With an arcade game you have to create the game, get it sold to arcade operators.. and that's it. You don't have to worry about someone reviewing your shit, you don't have to worry about the ups and downs of a holiday season, blah blah blah. As long as you're producing something that goes into a standard standup cabinet, if it isn't totally crap I'm sure it's easier to make money than a console game.

If you then consider that an arcade game can keep on earning money (potentially, anyway) forever, whereas you only need to buy a game once..

Of course, this is all my opinion, too.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Evan, about SNES Central unrelease list. Reply with quote

kap wrote:
If you then consider that an arcade game can keep on earning money (potentially, anyway) forever, whereas you only need to buy a game once..

Of course, this is all my opinion, too.

You forget that the arcade scene is nearly dead in the US and Japan. Many big companies don't market arcade games in the US and concentrate on consoles - companies like Konami. The only company that I knew of that was still releasing games on consoles and arcade was, guess who? SNK Playmore. Most everyone else stays the hell away from the US market. It's just not profitable anymore. They can make the games. But they can't make the operators buy them, or the players play them. That's what made a lot of these companies get off the market.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
narc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that sega/sammy should enjoy continued success in the arcades with atomiswave. They are producing sammy/sega based games and now they have snk. It also seems to be very cost effective to the companies involved. I see those machines everywhere from the arcades to the outsides of stores. As of late a very small arcade game revival may have began in the US, but the number of contenders is low. My local arcades consist of Capcom, Namco, Sega, SNK games, and the ddr series.

Overall it seems that developers have decided to take fewer risks ,group together, and reuse hardware to maximize profits. I hope it pays off it means more new quality games in arcades.

In my opinion though even though it may be cheaper to use hardware shared with home systems like namco has done and allowed for arcade perfect ports. I believe arcades began their downfall when console graphics caught up with arcade graphics.
It seemed as if no companies where willing to invest enough to take arcade games to the next level. If companies would push arcade graphics ahead of the next gen consoles they would have a chance (With a HUGE risk) to revive the arcades.
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the future of arcades lies in game concepts that wouldn't work very well or would be prohibitively expensive in a home setting, like full-size multiplayer racing games, certain dance games, redemption games, and virtual reality. Most arcades around here have already migrated almost exclusively to the first three, and the last isn't too far behind--there's a big, goofy-looking VR helmet thing at a nearby arcade. Not incredibly impressive, but it just shows that steps are being taken...
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I played it this weekend, it struck me that The Irritating Maze is the perfect arcade game.
KlarthAilerion
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hear people say "redemption games" and I can't help but think it's a long-lost unlicensed 3rd party developer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: