Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

Unreleased Game Gear Proto: Off the Wall

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Unreleased Game Gear Proto: Off the Wall Reply with quote

So I posted about this one a while back, but I didn't have a working Game Gear to test it on. I finally got one so I thought you guys may like some screen shots:

Taking pictures of a Game Gear screen is not the easiest thing in the world as you can imagine. After messing with the MAME ROM it appears to be an arcade port. Unlike many shitastic unreleased games, this one also received fantastic reviews in Gamepro:

The Proto has a small pen mark that says "vidpro", not sure if that sheds light on where it came from.

Hope you guys enjoy the pics!
Ballz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Unreleased Game Gear Proto: Off the Wall Reply with quote

MrMark0673 wrote:
Unlike many shitastic unreleased games, this one also received fantastic reviews in Gamepro:

The severe lack of exploding heads in that review begs to differ.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Unreleased Game Gear Proto: Off the Wall Reply with quote

Ballz wrote:
MrMark0673 wrote:
Unlike many shitastic unreleased games, this one also received fantastic reviews in Gamepro:

The severe lack of exploding heads in that review begs to differ.

3, 4, 4, 3 ain't bad at all for an unreleased game. Did you bother to read the write up?
shawnphase

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you spelled 'shittastic' wrong.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawnphase wrote:
you spelled 'shittastic' wrong.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Shittastic
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they gave the sound and control the 'great' head, but gave the fun factor an 'average' head. The text seems to be pretty positive towards the game though. Still Gamepro was never really known for having great reviews.

So what are your impressions of this game? Is it a good port of the arcade version? It does look like the kind of game that would've been fairly enjoyable to play on a portable.
MrMark0673

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArnoldRimmer83 wrote:
Well they gave the sound and control the 'great' head, but gave the fun factor an 'average' head. The text seems to be pretty positive towards the game though. Still Gamepro was never really known for having great reviews.

So what are your impressions of this game? Is it a good port of the arcade version? It does look like the kind of game that would've been fairly enjoyable to play on a portable.

As far as negatives, I'm under impressed with the background designs. I've only played about 4 levels into it and as far as I can tell, the background pictured is the only one.

As far as a port is concerned, it seems extremely faithful on first play. The first 4 levels are set up exactly the same as the first 4 in the arcade version and all power-ups appear to be present.

Controls are solid, button one fires the ball and a weapon if you pick up a power-up, button two increases the speed of the paddle so you can cover large distances fairly quickly.

The scoring is different than the arcade version. It keeps track of your points as well as your continues (you have unlimited), so I can only assume they use the number of times you continue to determine your final score.

Not the best game the platform has to offer, but it would keep my attention for a flight or an extended car trip. It also appears that the 2 player option was programmed, I'd like to test that out sometime soon.
cheerio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same game as the Arcade one? What is the status of the proto?
Zucot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact - a close friend of mine / my old boss worked on the arcade original. I don't think he had anything to do with the Game Gear port though.
Bock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on getting this game released?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: