Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Dragon's Lair: The Movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-zero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Dragon's Lair: The Movie Reply with quote

I know mentioning a laserdisc game in here is like bringing up Lenord Nimoy's "Lord of the rings"-inspired album in a group of Star Trek fans, but...has anyone heard any new news about the "Dragon's Lair" animated feature currently in development? I've checked out a few websites and,sadly, it's still posted with a 2003 release date. Don Bluth doesn't really seem to care about the franchise all that much,anyways (anyone who has the "Dragon's Lair" special collector's edition DVD package knows), so he'll probably postpone it a bit, and I'm sure it won't even get priorety over the next "Land before time" direct-to-video sequel. For some reason, since "Dragon's Lair" debuted at the dawn of the 80's video game crash, Bluth seems to see it as somewhat of a failure, in some regards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nateJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animated feature? As in a theatre-release DL movie? I think I remember hearing some vague rumors about that. There's no listing for it at iMDB, so I'd say Don Bluth hasn't done anything with it. iMDB _always_ posts movie info, even when it's pre-production. Search for "Ender's Game" if you don't beleive me.

Anyway, I too am annoyed by Bluth's shoddy handling of the licence, particularly his granting the rights to that inept, pathetic, Canadian "software developer" Digital Leisure. Ever played Dragon's Lair for PC? I haven't. The rotten thing kept crashing every time I tried to play. It went straight back to Micro Center in under a week. I hear the DVD version freezes up certain players, particularly the Toshiba brand.

It's kind of sad to me. Unlike some people, I enjoyed Dragon's Lair. I saw the timing as more of a challenge than boredom. I'd say the only Don Bluth game better than Dragon's Lair is Space Ace. Don't get me started on mistreatment of Space Ace...please. ;)

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B-zero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Yahoo movies. There's some news about it on there. Bluth keeps on saying it's the new big project he's working on. Apparently, it will involve a similar storyline to the dragon's lair feature length animated film he wanted to make originally, back in 1983 or 84. It will also involve the concept of two babies being switched at birth, one growing up to become a prince and the other a knight (guess which one Dirk is). Oh...what's that? You don't believe that there were plans for a "Dragon's Lair" film back in the early 80's? I've got a gift for all of you......heres the original storyboards a with a general plot synopsis:
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/community/movie/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B-zero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Space Ace is a highly overrated game and was vastly ahead of it's time. The game feels a lot more interactive that either Dragon's Lair game. Honestly, A "Space Ace 3D" Remake is probably just what Bluth needs to truely get back into the gaming industry. The Infanto ray and it's effects would just be so entirely hilarious in a fully 3D, non-linear Action Adventure game. Kimmy (the heroine of "Space Ace") also seems vastly more capable than Dragon Lair's Daphne and could actually serve as a playable character in a remake.
treeman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own all these games for DOS in 3.5 and 5.25 disks. It was nothing compared to the laserdisc versions but very impressive for back in the day (made my 80286 12 MHz seem god-like). Anyway, I had the whole series of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, but I never heard about Dragon's Lair III and Space Ace II outside of those releases. Were those two games ever produced on laserdisc or were they just sequels that were only available for DOS?
B-zero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a title named "Dragon's Lair 3" for the PC at some point in the early to mid 90's, but it was pretty much entirely recycled from bits of "Dragon's Lair II:Time Warp". Since the laserdisc phenomenon did last much longer after the release of "Dragon's Lair II", there in fact was never a Space Ace sequel even in the planning stages. Directly after Space Ace, in about 1984, there were plans for a game called "Sea Beast" in which you played a sailor fighting against a Sea monster/Seamonsters. The Bluth team left to work on "An American Tail" and never came back to the game.
treeman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there was a Space Ace Sequel, I still own it. It's called Space Ace II: Borf's Revenge.

Here's a list of 3.5/5.25 Don Bluth Space Ace/Dragon's Lair games:

Dragon's Lair - Empire/Readysoft 1989
Dragon's Lair 2: Timewarp - Empire/Readysoft 1991
Dragon's Lair 3: The Curse of Mordread - Empire/Readysoft 1993
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle - Empire/Readysoft 1992
Space Ace - Empire/Readysoft 1990
Space Ace 2: Borf's Revenge - Empire/Readysoft 1991
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it no one counts the NES/SNES/GB games as canon?

*flees*
nateJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not usually. The NES/SNES/GB games are pretty much the laserdisc versions without the video, and Bluth games w/o the videos are just sucky action games. Who would want to play a sucky action game? Not me.

-n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B-zero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry,but that's where you're wrong. The NES and SNES versions of the games were in fact platform games. The original GB version of Dragon's Lair was actually an action/adventure games, with from what I've heard, RPG elements. I've played both the NES and SNES versions of Dragon's Lair and the SNES version of Space Ace and can say that not only were they platform games, they were fairly decent platform games. I'm going to do some research on Space Ace II: Borf's Revenge and get back to you. The thing is, they were such big games for early PC hardware that sometimes, they had to be broken up into smaller pieces.
B-zero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link with some info on Space Ace 2

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId%2C3864
nateJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I had a corrupt ROM or something. What I remember is that you start out in the Tentacle scene, can't figure out how to move, and get killed by the monster every time. Either something was wrong with the game or I didn't get how to play.

Sorry for the uneducated gripe, and thanks for the correction.

-n
B-zero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAUGHING OUT LOUD! That was the NES version of Dragon's Lair. I actually had the same problem with a rom version,however, I've heard that beyond that point, the game is actually pretty awesome. I read a great review of it in an old NES/GB code and info book. It's probably just a bad rom or an early version.
B-zero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SNES version of Dragon's Lair reminded me a lot of castlevania with bigger sprites. Dirk's natural clumsiness really came through well in the game. He controls kind of sloppily, but in an intentional way.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the SNES version of Dragon's Lair ain't that bad after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: