Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:45 am

Need... dumping advice, I guess.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RahanAkero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Need... dumping advice, I guess. Reply with quote

Hi there, everyone. I've been lurking... forever, but I think I have a semi-valid reason to post now.

I was shopping in a small used games store in NYC, and I found an unlabled, unusually-heavy genesis cart with "Atomic Runner" scrawled on it in marker. It cost $10. I figured I'd try buying it -- for one, it was the heaviest bloody Genesis cart I'd ever held. For two... hey, ten bucks. Worst case scenario, I just bought a terrible game. Best-case, I'll open it up and see what's on the cart.

Well, I just did that, and this is what I saw.

If I'm not mistaken, that's not the innards of your everyday genesis game.

Now, the game itself seems sort-of-final (I don't know the final game well enough to speak with confidence on that), but I'd still like to have it dumped and checked for differences from the final game. And if there -are- differences, I'd like to release it so people can go "Hey, this is a proto of a shitty game made by the guy who made Karnov!"

So, tl;dr version: Anybody know anyone in NYC or nearby that is reliable and can dump Genesis games? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
Evan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you are interested in getting your own dumper, but a Retrode would probably be able to dump the game, and only costs about $70.
Jurai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) might wanna cover the windows on those chips if you are taking photos of it in daylight.

2) I recommend just constructing one of these Sega CD Transfer cables or having someone do it for you if you can't solder at all. They are very easy to construct, I've dumped with one on multiple occasions.

http://www.retrodev.com/transfer.html

the Retrode is a better all-around investment if you plan to do a lot of cart dumping in the future, but if you're just looking to dump this one cart right now the transfer cable will cost you a lot less to construct, trip to radioshack will net you all you need
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: