The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 am

Donkey Kong Original Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, that fix isn't perfect...someone on another message board told me that there's a question block you can't hit (or is much more difficult to hit?) with the patch applied. I'm not really sure what to do about that. :\
Asaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...that's odd...

I haven't really played it much though, I find the DX game to be a bit more interesting.
LocalH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
Just FYI, that fix isn't perfect...someone on another message board told me that there's a question block you can't hit (or is much more difficult to hit?) with the patch applied. I'm not really sure what to do about that. :\

If you know which question block it's supposed to be, I'd be happy to do a bit of comparison between SMB1 (or 2j depending) NES and SNES to see if the behavior is the same or if it's an unrelated bug that cropped up when N upgraded SMB for the SNES hardware.

I own the DX version as well, but I find it too different to the original in the way it plays to enjoy it as much as the original. Scrolling is different, so enemies spawn sooner than they normally would, and most importantly to me, hatstomps don't work at all, and I can't count on two hands the number of times I've died in SMBDX but would have survived in SMB.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LocalH wrote:
I own the DX version as well, but I find it too different to the original in the way it plays to enjoy it as much as the original. Scrolling is different, so enemies spawn sooner than they normally would, and most importantly to me, hatstomps don't work at all, and I can't count on two hands the number of times I've died in SMBDX but would have survived in SMB.

Yeah, the DX version mucked with the hitboxes. The boxes of Pihrana plants are actually really small (shared with goombas, which are about 8 tiles wide by 5 tall or so).

I really doubt that question block is a legitimate issue. Do you even know which one it is?
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uggggggh
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xkeeper wrote:
uggggggh

Someone want to report this to Nintendo? Retrozone needs to know where the line is. Don't cross the line.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone on this forum is in a position to decide where that line is.
nensondubois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pemdawg wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
uggggggh

Someone want to report this to Nintendo? Retrozone needs to know where the line is. Don't cross the line.

Didn't they already cross the line with Nintendo by releasing the Powerpak, or the Nintendo World Championship reproductions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
I don't think anyone on this forum is in a position to decide where that line is.

Of course not (and I wouldn't report this to Nintendo). It's just something that strikes me as being very, very ... lame.

I mean, do you see a mention of the freely-released ROM anywhere? No? Of course not. Doubly so when it was just released from Nintendo.

I don't know. Maybe it's just all the other shitty things Bunnyboy has done that helps this into the "shitty" category.

E: The PowerPak is just fine. It breaks no laws other than possibly breaking some copyright with the cartridge design, since the NES patents expired. (The SNES PowerPak, on the other hand, is a bit more gray, but still fairly safe.)
rbudrick
not rubrdick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunnyboy has done so many great things too though. I would personally find it kinda hard to get mad at him. Can't think of anything super bad at all, off hand, to be honest. Maybe my definition is loose, I dunno. Maybe I'm not in the know, either. Question

-Rob
Pemdawg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

Ahh. Too true sir. Well met.
KingMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nensondubois wrote:
Pemdawg wrote:
Xkeeper wrote:
uggggggh

Didn't they already cross the line with Nintendo by releasing the Powerpak, or the Nintendo World Championship reproductions?

I think a bit differently about this because Nintendo is still selling this (kinda sucks you have to buy a PAL Wii just to get it. Can't say they won't make a standard VC release at some point.). NWC was only made for a promotion and only a hundred or so people own the game legit. Even then, since the promo has passed, it's pretty much a glorified demo cart.
Asaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LocalH wrote:
...hatstomps don't work at all...

What's a "hatstomp"? I tried searching for it and nothing came up (except this thread).

And yeah, I died a lot in DX too, I just like all the bonus stuff. I wish they would've ported it over to GBA or something like they did all the other games, but oh well...

Those other ports seem a little bit more difficult than the SNES ones too, though.
LocalH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asaki wrote:
LocalH wrote:
...hatstomps don't work at all...

What's a "hatstomp"? I tried searching for it and nothing came up (except this thread).

It's a term I've been using for a while (but it doesn't seem like it's catching on) to refer to the fact that the only requirement to stomp an enemy is that you're moving down, regardless of the physical position of the sprites (so it's possible to "stomp" an enemy with your hat, so to speak).
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the topic that drew me to this forum: I rather thought that it was a leftover from Nintendo's vaults myself until I read more deeply into the thread a while back.

Some time ago a friend of mine started working on recreating the missing elements from the arcade version, and he had a hel'uv'a time getting all the pointers to work correctly. It was a side-project, but I'm sure that when he heard about this release, it was heartbreaking. I don't know if he ever finalized the 'How High' cut-scenes, but if he did, maybe I can get him to consider adding them to this dump...

He was working from de-compiled, annotated source code, plus the sources of the arcade ROMs, so if he got far enough, there may still be hope for a 'perfect' port, like the Euro 'Mario Bros.'. (I wouldn't mind having an NTSC patch for that, either, as it really is an amazing improvement.)

I really wonder if somebody from the NES homebrew scene had a hand in making this, as I think its rather odd that only a few months into detailed discussions on how it could be done, Nintendo pops it out of the oven for the Red Euro Wii. Puzzling?

Anyhow, the fact that Retrozone is selling them without crediting the source is a bit bogus, unless he did the coding on the 'Wiiware' version in which case he'd be breaking all ties to Nintendo for releasing it on cartridge, so that's highly doubtful. It's not that they're being sold that is irksome, it.'s the lack of fair play involved. The sales page could give a 'Thank-You' not to the dumper. :/

I think I'll build my own DK-Wii cart, maybe using an original NES or FC DK board, with a custom label (for my own use). Oh wait.. It's CNROM, which means Id need to use a different board anyway. Crumbs. I used to have the arcade (stand-up), and I loved it, but it was stolen from me along with several others in storage, so this is a perfect addition to the library.

Now I'm rather curious what they changed in the '25th Anniversary Edition' of 'Super Mario Bros.' for the JP Red Wii. Was it merely a graphical hack of the '?' blocks, or did they reorder the levels or in any way alter or augment the code or gameplay?

I crave more classic arcade ports to the NES/FC hardware, so this is just perfect. (I still have my fingers crossed for a port of either asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe' someday--Hey, it happened for the 7800, and despite the sprite limitations, I think the NES can handle it.) In any case, thanks so much for removing the Wii protection schema and providing it!
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamegeezer wrote:
(I still have my fingers crossed for a port of either asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe.)

It's not a carbon copy, but it's hidden away as an easter egg in one of my old demos, if you look hard enough. :D

http://www.chrismcovell.com/videogames.html
Lupin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on Super Mario 25th Anniversary Edition:

I would link to the source site on this, but I really shouldn't. Credit goes to user marioxb and translation by his friend Tim on said site.

Here's a Japanese site he found where someone describes his process of dumping the SMB 25th Anniversary ROM and compares it to the NES original. http://ponrevival.blogspot.com/2010/11/wii25thsmb.html
Here's "Tim's" summary:

"Okay, I perused it. Unfortunately, it isn't the site you're looking for.

This guy has extracted SMB25th from his red Wii (I couldn't find any links to downloading it or anything). What he's doing here is using software to compare the code between that game and the original SMB release on the Virtual Console. The article goes on for a bit because the author initially *thinks* he's found all these weird differences, but is then quickly reminded that one of the versions of code he's looking at is still compressed, and needs to be in an uncompressed format to compare the two properly. He does this, and finds very little in the way of differences, and that's about it."

Supposedly the necessary SMB ROM patch is in one of the links on said site.

Hope it's of use to someone!
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:

It's not a carbon copy, but it's hidden away as an easter egg in one of my old demos, if you look hard enough. Very Happy

http://www.chrismcovell.com/videogames.html

Awesome! There sure are a wide array of demos there... Any hints on where to look or what to try to unlock it? I have a feeling it's in the 'Polar' demo, because it has similar-acting sprites; besides 'Polar' looks fun as a visual demo in and of itself.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the 25th Anniversary edition just has the ? blocks saying 25 and the edited title screen. Doesn't seem like he found anything else of note, either.
LocalH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edited title screen is nothing special, as they've done this with tons of rereleased ROMs.

It really sucks that Nintendo couldn't do something better than a fucking Nesticle hack of their original flagship title. Assholes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: