Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:13 am

The Legend of Zelda prototype
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tongueman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nensondubois wrote:
I'll just leave this music modifier code here and slowly walk away. 0E00:??, (also a sound effect modifiers) 0E01:??, 0E02:??, 0E03:??, 0E04:??, and 0E05:??

There's no RAM at $E00; it's a mirror of $600. And, yes, the music/sfx is triggered by bitwise writes to that RAM location, similarly to how Super Mario Bros. 2 works (and Doki Doki Panic as well.)
LocalH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyrunner14 wrote:
Skrybe wrote:
Right here.

Thank you for this, but I can't get it to work... I'm using VirtuaNES, if that helps. It says, "unsupported format". And when I try to run the prototype, "There isn't DISKSYS.ROM.", even though I tried to open it! Man, I want to try this proto out so bad...

Put DISKSYS.ROM in the folder with the VirtuaNES executable, then try it. Failing that, look through the VirtuaNES config options for a setting to specify the location of DISKSYS.ROM, and use that.
nensondubois

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
nensondubois wrote:
I'll just leave this music modifier code here and slowly walk away. 0E00:??, (also a sound effect modifiers) 0E01:??, 0E02:??, 0E03:??, 0E04:??, and 0E05:??

There's no RAM at $E00; it's a mirror of $600. And, yes, the music/sfx is triggered by bitwise writes to that RAM location, similarly to how Super Mario Bros. 2 works (and Doki Doki Panic as well.)

I hacked that code years back for the retail version when I only knew basic hacking (check GSCentral, http://snesmusic.jukor.net/ my Youtube channel, and numerous TCRF articles to see my wicked ASM code hacks). I just then tried the old music modifier on the Prototype in haste and quickly after seeing it work without the care/thought of it being a RAM mirror, I decided to post it. It's all good.

Anyway, here's part 4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfu6lOyQSrw

Part 5 (Final) The orange rabbid bunnies! Yes, they are noticeably different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs86IZ85C2M
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NESPlayer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful release! Much love to Chris, Rob, GoldS, and Skrybe.
nensondubois

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for a request at FamicomWorld, I made a sound effect video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucWcI9s-Zv4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of my favorite comments from the various sites I've seen picking this up so far is this one:

Quote:
It is remarkable because Nintendo's development process is fairly obscure, especially from the Famicom days. Further, it shows us the kind of thinking behind Miyamoto's famed design process. Zelda is a fairly difficult game by today's tastes; this shows us that Zelda was in fact made more difficult shortly before release.

If you load the page showing the differences in Level 9, you'll also note that they removed the one "trick wall" secret in the first quest, probably because it was too obscure. It's actually a required secret because you can't get the Silver Arrow without it. Imagine what our memories of the game would be if a legion of players got to Ganon and were unable to beat him because the one item that could do it was in an unmarked map room only accessible by doing something required nowhere else in the game.

The first place with a trick wall in the second quest is already something of a barrier; I remember being stuck hard in the game because of that wall. It's better tipped off there however, since there's a path in a room that seems to lead to nowhere, which is something of a clue to try weird things there.

(from Metafilter)
theichibun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you mention that post, because the thread on MetaFilter is the reason I found this site. If it's good enough for there, it's good enough for me to be a member here and hang out.
dwade76

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anybody help out? game loads but is stuck on the title screen. using FCE Ultra...game controls are configured.
nensondubois

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using VirtuaNES since I can't seem to find out how to switch disk sides with FCE myself.

Last edited by nensondubois on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwade76 wrote:
can anybody help out? game loads but is stuck on the title screen. using FCE Ultra...game controls are configured.

In FCEUX (the updated/maintained version) it's just a menu option.

Eject, switch sides, re-insert.

What the hell are you even talking about, nensondubouis? Of course you can (it's kind of pointless to emulate FDS otherwise, almost all games are dual-sided). Just in older versions it's mapped to some function key.
dwade76

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. eject/switch/insert did the trick. my bad.
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwade76 wrote:
thanks. eject/switch/insert did the trick. my bad.

No problem. Does the title screen even say to swap sides? It might be in Japanese even if it is, so it's not immediately obvious if you haven't dealt with FDS images before.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much trust out there. Sites like Joystiq are calling this an "alleged" prototype. Do people honestly believe Lost Levels would fake something? This is not buttary.

I should call Star Fox 2 an "alleged" prototype. Or Earthbound for the NES "alleged".
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Not much trust out there. Sites like Joystiq are calling this an "alleged" prototype. Do people honestly believe Lost Levels would fake something? This is not buttary.

I should call Star Fox 2 an "alleged" prototype. Or Earthbound for the NES "alleged".

I actually emailed the guy about that! (Well, more accurately, I mentioned it on Twitter and he replied, then we emailed each other.)

It's mostly because there's no real way to confirm it, I guess? Though I think it would be a lot better as an anecdote or even just left out (or even "a possible prototype" or something less... accusatory), but eh.

GoNintendo started that trend when they first mentioned it.
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

I admit that kinda rubbed me the wrong way... Sad (not nearly as much as the obligatory anti-piracy trolls, but still...)
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting; someone on my forum pointed out something:

Quote:

kazuko+m

Nothing amazing (we already knew this), but then...

Quote:
Did a little bit of research. In the credits for ALttP, Kazuaki Morita is credited as object programmer. He seems to have worked on practically every other Zelda game as well.

"Kazuaki M." is kinda like "kazuko+m", right? Or am I just jumping to conclusions again?

While it's nothing that can be pointed as something that's an obvious link, it is kind of interesting; Kazuaki was definitely working on NES games at the time, as he was the programmer behind Ice Climber and at least part of Super Mario Bros.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "Gou" Mr. Nakagou then? Hmmmmm....
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
Is "Gou" Mr. Nakagou then? Hmmmmm....

...that is actually a very interesting question! I didn't even think of that.
Kiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan wrote:

Ohhh boy. This kinda came up in a Digitpress thread as well.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150092

But yeah, I'm -hoping- the likes of Joystiq simply used that term "alleged" without really thinking of the consequences. Valuable prototypes shouldn't be ignored simply because someone thinks they're "fake" without any practical reason to believe so.

Besides, when we've seen how hoax proto "reveals" were executed, it should be obvious that no one could do a "fake" that would resemble this.
Gmanster64

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is totally legit. If you look in even the AMERICAN manual you can see the prototype sprites for Ghinis, Stalfos, and Pols Voice (that still says that he hates loud noises)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: