Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm

Tetris Game Boy 1.0 (Alternate A-TYPE song!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nensondubois

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Tetris Game Boy 1.0 (Alternate A-TYPE song!) Reply with quote

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=43407

My want (still actively looking for it!) thread over at Nintendoage derailed into informative speculation about this particular version of the popular block-stacking that made arguably the best system of all time what it is. Kind of surprising how even places like Nintendoage became baffled upon hearing about it for the first time. I sure hope The Lost Levels isn't lost in the mystery as well for gaming's sake. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I didn't know the 1.0 version had different music, although a couple of the "Gameboy Graffiti" music CDs in Japan had this tune.
gilbert cheung

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a well known fact since this was even mentioned in the Japanese Wikipedia page (if only the info was accurate). The thing sure is rare though.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the 1.0 version of games never get manufactured. For instance, every single copy of Wildtrax (the Japanese version of Stunt Trax FX) is 1.1. Another example is Speedy Gonzales for the SNES. The 1.0 version of the game is the Sunsoft release, but after talking to the developer of the game to confirm, it never made it to the manufacturing plant. All copies of the game are the Acclaim release, which is the 1.1 version of the game. It is quite possible that the 1.0 version was a prototype of the game, and they changed it before sending it for final production.
BFC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe it's quite possible the lost 1.0 for both Wild Trax and Stund Race is stored on the Kiosk Demo carts which exist for both games. Afair there is no revision (A) letter on the back on the regular carts implying the 1.1 is indeed the first and only retail version released.

Quote:
All copies of the game are the Acclaim release, which is the 1.1 version of the game.

Any info about the games' revision stamp?

This is an interesting topic - will open a thread for this.
KingMike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFC wrote:
Afair there is no revision (A) letter on the back on the regular carts implying the 1.1 is indeed the first and only retail version released.

I thought revisions were indicated by a number after the game code on the label?
SNS/SHVC/SNSP-xx-yyy-n
(xx for game ID, yyy for region and n for revision)

Evan, I could've told you the Sunsoft version of Speedy Gonzalez was never released. Huge Looney Tunes fan at the time, and never saw the game until the Acclaim release. :D
But I know you like official confirmation. :)
BFC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This only refers to a revision of the box and/or cart-label design. The exact meaning of the letter is unknown but might refer to the PCB revision which in most cases corresponds to a ROM data update.
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike wrote:
BFC wrote:
Afair there is no revision (A) letter on the back on the regular carts implying the 1.1 is indeed the first and only retail version released.

I thought revisions were indicated by a number after the game code on the label?
SNS/SHVC/SNSP-xx-yyy-n
(xx for game ID, yyy for region and n for revision)

Evan, I could've told you the Sunsoft version of Speedy Gonzalez was never released. Huge Looney Tunes fan at the time, and never saw the game until the Acclaim release. :D
But I know you like official confirmation. :)

The code on the label tells you nothing of the ROM revisions. For instance, I have yet to see label variants on SFC games that are marked, yet I own SFC carts that are ROM variants.

Actually, the stamp on the back is not always 100% accurate either, as I own a Super Mario Kart that has an "A" on the back, and it is still the 1.0 version of the game. It does use a different version of the DSP-1 chip, though.
BFC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese games are weird - same goes for Famicom carts. But usually european and US-games are pretty reliable here.

As I said it's probably the PCB revision.
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version number wouldn't be on the PCB either, as there shouldn't be any difference with this cart. There may be a numbering difference on the mask ROMs though, albeit it'd be easier to boot a hundred of the buggers than to crack'em open to check for it.

Presumably this is JP-only, so unless a very tiny number of them were packed in with USA GB systems, you'd need to rifle through bins of GB carts in Japan to locate one.

I rather would like to have one myself, assuming I don't already and am unaware of it Maybe I'll have to add a pile of 'Tetris' GB carts to my next import load Smile
nensondubois

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamegeezer wrote:
Presumably this is JP-only, so unless a very tiny number of them were packed in with USA GB systems, you'd need to rifle through bins of GB carts in Japan to locate one.

Already this version has been confirmed to be a US exclusive. Sure, Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Japan have some copies in their warehouses, but no known copies have been confirmed outside of US circulation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xkeeper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing.

Any evidence?
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nensondubois wrote:
Already this version has been confirmed to be a US exclusive.

Confirmed by who? Where'd you get your info?
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing I don't get, everywhere online that I've read about it, they say that the version 1.0 Tetris was U.S. only, and then someone asks, "how do we know this? Has anyone here in the U.S. ever seen this, had this, or come across this?" and then no one knows where the initial "U.S.-only" information came from...

I assume that it was Japanese, since when I actually started looking around with Japanese text, I found more sites writing about it in Japanese than anywhere else, though it didn't really have any more information than I'd seen anywhere else. I think that the Japanese sites were calling it "the waltz version"* or something like that.

EDIT: Ah-ha, not "waltz," people call it the "minuet" (メヌエット) version, as listed in the Japanese Tetris Wiki link above.
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first (hearsay?) example I can find of someone saying they (their brother) actually have one, in Japan:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1240126877

If anyone actually fluent in Japanese instead of just taking a year of it in college Embarassed cares to dig further, here's a good start:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%E3%83%86%E3%83%88%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9+%E3%83%A1%E3%83%8C%E3%82%A8%E3%83%83%E3%83%88+%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BC%E3%82%A4&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
nensondubois

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMF54123 wrote:
nensondubois wrote:
Already this version has been confirmed to be a US exclusive.

Confirmed by who? Where'd you get your info?

The guy who has the previously thought-to-be only US copy on Youtube. I have done my own research for two years intermittently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0nw_4dd58

I am Christina Aguilera wrote:
That's the thing I don't get, everywhere online that I've read about it, they say that the version 1.0 Tetris was U.S. only, and then someone asks, "how do we know this? Has anyone here in the U.S. ever seen this, had this, or come across this?" and then no one knows where the initial "U.S.-only" information came from...

I assume that it was Japanese, since when I actually started looking around with Japanese text, I found more sites writing about it in Japanese than anywhere else, though it didn't really have any more information than I'd seen anywhere else. I think that the Japanese sites were calling it "the waltz version"* or something like that.

EDIT: Ah-ha, not "waltz," people call it the "minuet" (メヌエット) version, as listed in the Japanese Tetris Wiki link above.

WOOPS: Probably should have watched the video again. Embarassed

So, this confirms at least one Japanese copy exists. Now we need to do the same for Europe.

I actually haven't been keeping tabs on all of the topics on several other forums I have posted this, so bare with me on the inaccuracies.

Last edited by nensondubois on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nensondubois wrote:
The guy who has the previously thought-to-be only US copy on Youtube. I have done my own research for two years intermittently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0nw_4dd58

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but this prguitarman1 guy has a physical copy too, I guess? He's playing a DS Lite in the video, and I was under the assumption that DSes are only capable of playing non-Advance Game Boy games via emulated ROMs on a flashcard. I checked YouTube for the 1.0 music a few months back, and all I really found was what seemed to be people playing the ROM of it plucked off of the internets...
nensondubois

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I saw that video was at least a year ago. I didn't bother checking the video again because I thought it was being played on a GBA SP from memory. This isn't the first time I made a credible mistake. It is safe to know that at least one Japanese copy exist as you posted earlier. Embarassed
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nensondubois wrote:
The last time I saw that video was at least a year ago. I didn't bother checking the video again because I thought it was being played on a GBA SP from memory. This isn't the first time I made a credible mistake. It is safe to know that at least one Japanese copy exist as you posted earlier. Embarassed

Ah, I misremember all kinds of online stuff. This copy of the game has been kind of fascinating to me too, since it's a notably different version of one of the most popular Nintendo-made games of all time.

The thing that I just find really striking when I google for information about "テトリス メヌエット" in Japanese, is that there still seems to be an air of mystery about it, but when people ask about it, the people answering tend to have kind of a glib "yeah, the earlier version had different music" answer, like it's common knowledge in Japan or some such:

http://okwave.jp/qa/q1054874.html?rel=innerHtml&p=bottom&l=3

Personally, I'd say that there's probably more information to be gleaned about it from the Japanese-speaking internet, but other than that, I'd just have to throw up my hands and say "who knows?" It's a pretty weird deal. All I know, in all of my years growing up in the U.S. playing the thing against friends or seeing copies of it out and about, I've never heard the different music, or heard of anyone having a copy without the classic Korobeiniki music in it...
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that I had my facts backwards: What I recalled was the direct opposite, the it was a JP release and the musical variant was suspected in NA, but not confirmed. Maybe I read it, or remembered it reversely.

If it was an early US release as well, then it's strongly possible that I have one, as I purchased my GB system on the first week of launch. I guess I'll need to dig out and plow through my 'Tetris' carts to see if one is lurking in the lot. Very curious now indeed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: