Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

Performing intensive surgery on SNES carts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Performing intensive surgery on SNES carts Reply with quote

So I just got a copy of Earthbound for super-super cheap from a pawn shop, right? Here's the thing: when I got it, I knew very well that it might not work -- there was light green oxidation on a bunch of the contacts, the oddball Nintendo screws were rusted, the board looked slightly discolored, the whole thing looks like it was in a wet basement or something. I did hardcore cleaning of the contacts and outer case with the 91% alcohol, Q-tips, and a toothbrush, and it does look a lot nicer now, but some of the green oxidation still couldn't be removed from a couple of the contact pins (corrosion even, maybe?), and I'm getting naught but a black screen when I turn it on.

My question to this expert assembly: is there anything more that I can do for this valuable patient, especially if it turns out that it's only the contacts are at issue? I haven't tried opening up the cart yet, since I don't have a game-screw screwdriver, and the screws are rusted to hell in the first place, so I'm not sure if it's even doable.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether it will help where your attempts have failed, but my preferred contact cleaning method is to use a pencil eraser. Good luck dude.
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a multmeter? You could test each connector pin to make sure there is a contact with the pins on the ROM and RAM chips.

Edit: sorry, I didn't read that you don't have the means to open the cart. However, the above method probably is the way to go.
gamegeezer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following can also work, if used carefully. Try them in this order exactly...

91% Isopropyl Alcohol
Wesley's Bleach-White (then clean with alcohol)
Brasso (then clean with alcohol)
Buffing-wheel with metal polish (at low speed! with gold compound, then clean with alcohol)
Muriatic acid (diluted in water; try different solutions, then clean with alcohol)
Carburetor cleaner (then clean with alcohol)

The last three are more drastic solutions, but can work if done carefully...

-GameGeezer
BMF54123
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try DeoxIT before moving on to such drastic solutions. I've heard Brasso in particular is rather bad for the long-term health of cartridge connectors.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious now to what the official cleaning procedure was at Nintendo Repair Centers.
shawnphase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost all the things listed in this thread are corrosive and bad to use on electronics. if you want to use what will no doubt give the best results, use amyl nitrate, aka vhs headcleaner. try a qtip and dont use too much, its very expensive. any electronics shop should have it. its more expensive, but better for boards and any electronics than even isopropyl, thats a little too corrosive. most of the other methods like a pencil eraser et al are all too abrasive too. amyl nitrate is actually used for this sort of thing. you could also alternately use lactone, but you dont want to get that because you could get into some trouble having/finding it.

amyl nitrate works the best for a variety of reasons, but its the best solvent to use for cleaning things. i once had an ex gf's cat jump onto a table and knock a whole cup of apple juice into a pretty expensive guitar pedal that i swear by..i put it aside for 2 years until i had the proper tools to take the case apart and clean it. i feel like if i would have had that headcleaner around that i wouldnt have been able to get thru all the gunk that solidified. very good stuff, i always try and bring this up in threads like this though. good luck getting eb working again.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gamegeezer wrote:

-GameGeezer

Seriously, dude, this is some pathetic shit. Knock of the moronic fake sig. If anyone wants to know who posted this, they can look to the left. Doing this makes you look like a lonely, sad attention-whoring douche.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
gamegeezer wrote:

-GameGeezer

Seriously, dude, this is some pathetic shit. Knock of the moronic fake sig. If anyone wants to know who posted this, they can look to the left. Doing this makes you look like a lonely, sad attention-whoring douche.

Hey. Be nice.
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadguy2322 wrote:
gamegeezer wrote:

-GameGeezer

So what does this make you look like?
I am Christina Aguilera

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took Earthbound to my friendly neighborhood retro game store, and there's too much water damage to the contacts to be fixable Sad

I got Illusion of Gaia too though and it works, so that's something.
Deadguy2322

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Deadguy2322 wrote:
gamegeezer wrote:

-GameGeezer

So what does this make you look like?

A douche who doesn't annoy people with a stupid faux-sig, of course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: