Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am

Retro "Famicom-like" games for Japanese cellphones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Retro "Famicom-like" games for Japanese cellphones Reply with quote

Hey, folks. I was in Super Potato last weekend when I spotted an original game playing on one of their Famiclones and it had a stack of flyers next to it:

These are all downloadable "Famicom-like" games for cellphones. The main promotional site can be found here, with game screenshots, "retro" ads, etc.
http://www.bestwest.jp/pc/jp/choicon_html/index.html
(and http://www.bestwest.jp/pc/jp/choicon_html/special/index.html )

While this is very cute, it really is a shameless copy of the ideas and MO of Game Center CX 2 on the DS. GCCX 1 and 2 were loving pastiches of Famicom and 80s gaming, saluting the Ninja craze, Dragon Quest series, shooting, maze, puzzle, and Mario games. GCCX 2 had an "American" game parodying Karateka, Muteki-Ken Kung-Fu, and a real shitty rally game that had a game magazine tie-in rerelease. It also had a little gimmick where if the game didn't work, you could blow into the microphone.

Well, this cellphone game collection also has an "American" version of a game, a magazine tie-in, blowing into cartridges, etc, etc. Original.

Anyway, this company has an actual Famicom "competition" version of their shooting game, Denshikantai Nack, for play at Super Potato. The flyer warns that it is a shitty game, and it sure is. The player's ship has inertia and momentum, for chrissakes, making for slow ship starts and stops. This game will be used in a competition (endurance contest?) on May 6th at Super Potato in Akihabara, if anybody actually wants to go there and test their mettle.

The flyer:
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, one of the fake games (Romanesco) is a roguelike. I'm fairly sure there weren't any of those on consoles in the 8-bit era besides Dragon Crystal/Fatal Labyrinth (the release timeline of which I've never firmly established).

I dunno....I loved Retro Game Challenge to death, but the graphical style of these games seems a lot more authentically "Famicom game I haven't played" than RGC. They probably play notably worse, of course...

I hope someone is making sure to preserve all these cellphone games.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unreleased Famicom game "Dungeon Hourouki" from 1988 looked like it was going to be a Roguelike.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/oroti/famicom/mab02.html
7HeroesForceBattle

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly does look like it was going to a be a roguelike! Thanks for that link - I've been compiling a list of console/handheld roguelikes and that's definitely worth noting.

I'm trying to make sense of a machine translation of that page...apparently it was a real game that was used in the film 妖女伝説88, but the movie depicted the employees as developing it in what was actually the building of the publisher (ASCII)?

Apparently it's a horror movie where computers communicate with the dead...I guess it kind of has a double meaning now, huh?

That's definitely an ad for the game, and not for the movie, right?
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7HeroesForceBattle wrote:
I've been compiling a list of console/handheld roguelikes

Not to hijack the thread, but any favorites/suggestions?
masonuhlrich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Retro "Famicom-like" games for Japanese cellph Reply with quote

Tongueman wrote:
Hey, folks. I was in Super Potato last weekend when I spotted an original game playing on one of their Famiclones and it had a stack of flyers next to it:

These are all downloadable "Famicom-like" games for cellphones. The main promotional site can be found here, with game screenshots, "retro" ads, etc.
http://www.bestwest.jp/pc/jp/choicon_html/index.html
(and http://www.bestwest.jp/pc/jp/choicon_html/special/index.html )

This may be random, but I am looking for an emulator to play these mobile phone types of games on my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mason

Last edited by masonuhlrich on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Hamtaro126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phones do not have emulators, as we cannot emulate them,

Even then, Trouble will come if we do because of a could-be Lawsuit. Just saying this because you do not want someone to sue you...

Apple's iPhone, for example. Is a phone with piracy measures, but that's another story in another time!

(These games look cool, I like the modern-retro revival stuff.)
ReyVGM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are emulators to play cellphone games and iphone games too.

The problem is not finding the emulators, the problem is finding the rom dumps. Getting roms for USA releases is easy, but for some reason Japanese rom dumps are almost impossible to find.
Tongueman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardcore Gaming 101 wrote:
With all of the above proving the importance of Japanese computers, it has to be asked: why aren't they archived online, like say the Spectrum? Well, they are, but the files are tucked away into deep and dark corners of the Internet. The majority of games were dumped in the 1990s and shared on BBSs and message boards, often embedded inside JPG images to deceive automated servers which would otherwise delete ZIP and RAR files. Nowadays, p2p networks are the preferred distribution method, but Japanese p2p software goes to great lengths to maintain deniability and anonymity, and can be frustrating and difficult to use. Overall, the Japanese retro scene is a much more private and cautious place than the free-wheeling nature of Western sites like the Pirate Bay.

From here: http://hg101.kontek.net/JPNcomputers/Japanesecomputers3.htm

Quite true. Japanese ROM hoarders are a paranoid, inward-looking lot, largely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Video Game General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: