Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:07 am

Old Electronics Boutique Ads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
treeman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Old Electronics Boutique Ads Reply with quote

I'm asking for some help from anyone that still has really old issues of EGM or other gaming magazines from 1993. As some of you already know, I run a Final Fantasy website and I try to have as much uncommon information as possible and I remembered something recently. Do you remember how EB used to have really big, multi-page ads in the magazines? I recall seeing "Final Fantasy Adventure 2" as a coming soon game but I think it showed the box, well once the game was released, it was renamed to "Secret of Mana".

What I'm trying to do is find someone who still has those issues and wouldn't mind scanning that for my site, the game was released in October of 1993, so it had to be before that date, but I don't think the ad was as early as 1992. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, though, I don't have time to look right now, and when I do, I will have forgotten. You might want to bug me once in a while, or bump this thread or something.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronics Boutique (the store) or EGM (the magazine)? :)

Well, anyways, the only thing I might have (no guarantees) is a EGM "Next Wave" preview of "Final Fantasy Adventure 2" which I don't think were too different than the released shots except MAYBE NPCs and lack of characters' HP along the bottom of the screen (I think the power bars were show). But I can't say for sure since it's been awhile since I looked at that issue (and I'm not sure which issue it was, I think the only '93 EGMs I'm sure I still got are March, May, about 75% of July, October and December).

I'm sure there was a Nintendo Power "Pak Watch" review from about that time (early 1993) that had similar shots.
treeman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingMike - Any scans related to the game would be great, thanks.
What I mean was that EGM ran the ads of EB, but the ads were the same as the store flyers.

RedEye - I might have to rob your house...impressed. I'll bump this.
KingMike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..looking through old issues...

Basically, all I found is one screenshot that looks like a release-version shot (except maybe those max. HP levels were changed slightly *okay, I didn't say that* :X)
And I could get the official release ad out from a magazine.
Could've been in an issue I don't quite remember, or else hidden in the back of an issue, and I can't remember which (like a Jurassic Park SNES preview which they just jammed onto some random page towards the back of an issue)
End of on-topic, just in case there's anything scan-worthy while I got 'em out.
Listing the USA previewed games, incase something I don't know about sticks out.
March 1993...No Next Wave, just a Mortal Kombat preview
May 1993 Games:
Phantasy Star 4 (GEN), Alien 3 (SNES), Haunting (GEN), WWF Royal Rumble (SNES), General Chaos (GEN), G2 (SNES, released in Europe?), Golden Axe 3 (GEN, released in Japan only?), 2020 Baseball (SNES), Bio-Metal (SNES), Super Air Diver (SNES, Super Lock-On?), Exile 2 (DUO), Super Turrican (NES, released in Europe only), Kirby's Dream Land (NES, Kirby's Adventure), Spider-Man 3 (GB)
July 1993 Games:
Super Mario Collection (SNES, Super Mario All-Stars), Street Fighter II Turbo Edition (SNES, minus the "Edition"), Dashin' Desperadoes (GEN), Castlevania Bloodlines (GEN, well the pic is too dark to see anything :D) Monday Night Football (SNES), TMNT - Tournament Fighters (SNES), Battle Cars (SNES), Brett Hull Hockey (SNES), CD Sonic (Sega CD), Dune II (GEN), Virtua Racing (GEN), Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (SNES), SimAnt (SNES), TMNT - Tournament Fighters (NES), Batman: The Animated Series (GB, Adventures of Batman & Robin?), Thunderhawk (Sega CD), Cool Spot (SNES), Jungle Book (SNES), Claymates (SNES), Clay Fighter (SNES), Son of Chuck (SNES, planned or misprint?, it was released for Sega systems), Robocop Vs. the Terminator (SNES), Power Modeler (Sega CD), Jurassic Park (SNES, just got shoved in the back of the magazine at the last minute)
October 1993 Games:
Lethal Enforcers (Sega CD), Jim Power: The Lost Dimension (SNES), Sonic Spinball (GEN), Cliffhanger (Sega CD), Last Action Hero (Sega CD), WWF Rage in the Cage (Sega CD), Dr. Franken (SNES), Lufia (SNES), Mutant Leage Hockey (GEN), Dune (Sega CD), Secret of Mana (SNES, shot doesn't look unusual, though), Genghis Khan II (SNES), Star Quest (GEN, translation of Star Cruiser that must not have been released since there's been a fan translation attempt. I don't know much about the Genesis releases.), Metal Marines (SNES), Stellar Fire (Sega CD), Joe Montana (Sega CD), Pirates of Dark Water (SNES), Virtual Pinball (GEN), Sunset Riders (SNES), Virtua Racing (GEN), John Madden (3DO), Mega Race (3DO)
December 1993:
SoM already released, but here goes the Next Wave list:
Dracula Unleashed (Sega CD), T2 the Arcade Game (SNES), Incredible Crash Dummies (GEN), The Untouchables (SNES, unreleased?), Double Switch (Sega CD) TMNT Tournament Fighters (GEN), Out of this World (3DO), NHLPA Hockey '93 (Sega CD), Bill Walsh College Football (Sega CD), Super Turrican 2 (SNES, according to Gamepro, only released in Columbia, South America), Sengoku (SNES, released only in Japan), Joe & Mac 2 (SNES), Pirates of Dark Water (SNES), Barney & Friends (GEN), Wiz 'N Liz (GEN), Side Pocket (SNES), Raiden (JAG), Total Eclipse (3DO), Sylvestor & Tweety: Cagey Capers (GEN), Pyramid Patrol (LaserActive), Vajra (LaserActive), Jurassic Park (3DO), Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 (SNES), Prize Fighter (GEN), I Will: The Story of London (LaserActive), Manhatten Requiem (LaserActive)
treeman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped for RedEye
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Old Electronics Boutique Ads Reply with quote

I remember a very old issue of EGM (somewhere around '92 or '93) that had two pre-release screenshots of Secret of Mana in their previews section. Not only they had the game labelled as Final Fantasy Adventure II, the screenshots showed areas that were not in the final game, although they all used graphics from (or rather, were used in) the final game.
lugnut
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about as many mags as Red and much more time to dig through them, so I'll try to do some hunting this weekend.

I know for certain I have the issue with the Next Wave preview that refers to it as FFA2, and I believe it has two screenshots, but I don't know the game well enough to know whether or not those shots are any different than what would be seen in the final version.

I don't distinctly remember having any mags that used the FFA2 name within advertisements (except maybe for those two-bit companies that used to list used games for sale the second the title was announced), but I'll take a look.
KR155E

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Bump.

TheRedEye: Would you be willing to scan some Virtual Boy articles which are not yet in the Planet Virtual Boy articles section?
sarujo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

Hey, I'm looking for an old Electronics Boutique ad near the end of the Sega Saturn's lifespan where they are advertising the sale of import Saturn games. Preferably one that features the game Dragon Ball Z: Legends.
linlhutz
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your "bump" should have been bolded, underlined, and italicized in the biggest most fancy font known to man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: