Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am

Black Tiger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManekiNeko
FURRY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Black Tiger Reply with quote

You know, I was really looking forward to this game. It's a side-scrolling action game with all the quirks you'd come to expect from Capcom in the late 1980's... your hero was attacked by giant man-eating tulips and could power up by collecting everything from tiny Holstein cows to wine barrels. Its more complex level design and the ability to purchase weapons and armor ultimately made it more satisfying than its sequel, the mindless button masher Magic Sword.

There was an NES version of Black Tiger in development at Capcom, but frustratingly enough, the game was never released here in the United States OR in Japan. Year after year, I waited in vain for the game to be released. I thought for sure I'd get a chance to play it when Nesticle (and hundreds of Japanese NES games) were released on the Internet, but I was once again left disappointed. The Famicom game that was deceptively titled Black Tiger actually turned out to be the NES conversion of Twin Cobra. It turned out that Black Tiger was named Black Dragon in Japan, and there was no game on the Famicom with this title.

I guess it's not a total loss. Thanks to MAME, I can play the arcade version of Black Tiger whenever I want, without paying a dime (much less a quarter) for the opportunity. However, I really, really wanted to play the game's NES counterpart. I'm convinced that Capcom would have changed it just enough to make it worth playing through, even for Black Tiger fans who spent many long hours with the arcade game.

So, am I alone on this? Is anyone else out there who's still waiting for their NES version of Black Tiger?

JR
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup Jess.

Yeah, I always imagined they gave it a Rygar kind of treatment, in that it would be a deeper game than the original. No, you're not alone, and I'm sure I won't be the only reply to this thread.
adaml
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Skrybe's website, in a short review on Black Tiger ( http://64.53.95.207/tiger/tiger.html ):

The scan was provided by AdamL, who for some reason is totally obsessed with this game. Maybe he'd be willing to write a review and enlighten us as to what he finds so appealing about it?

From a DP Board thread started by TheRedEye ( http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ):

As for my NES holy grail, there's still something about Black Tiger. Perhaps seeing a screen shot in that old Game Players (I think it was Game Players) way back when I first started playing the NES and knowing it would have been an early NES Capcom title make it the one game I would absolutely love to play. Unfortunately, the one screenshot of the game ( You have to copy and paste the following link to actuall see it: http://nestral.topcities.com/nr2/blackt.jpg ) leaves a lot to be desired and I wonder if the pic is even from a proposed NES version.

"It's you against a tremendous blue dragon in a fight to the death. A great wise man has been captured by the sinister serpent and taken to its lair. You can save him only if you collect important weapons and defeat the goblins and warriors that block your way." - Game Players for Nintendo Vol 1 #1 (pg 102).

Don't you just want to play it? The wise man couldn't have been too wise to have been captured by a serpent. Think about the logistics. Did the serpent have arms to carry away the wise man? Did he have hench-men that carried out the deed? We may never know.

The mysterious Black Tiger was last mentioned in a March 1990 Funco ad. It was never mentioned in any official Nintendo publication, so my best guess says that a proto never came out and that pic was indeed from a different platform, most likely the C64 ( http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/c64/data/1272.html ).

So, yeah, you're not alone in wanting to see Black Tiger NES released.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have wanted to play this game for a long time. I remember looking for a Famicom version, but no luck. I also would like to know how complete Black Tiger is. I wish there were more screenshots available than that one shot.

California Raisins did eventually turn up, so maybe there's hope that something will emerge about Black Tiger. Until then at least the arcade one is available on Mame.
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Yeah, I always imagined they gave it a Rygar kind of treatment, in that it would be a deeper game than the original.

Given the extent of the changes on some of Capcom's other arcade to Nes ports (Strider, Legendary Wings, Higemaru Makaijima,) that's very possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: