Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

Resident Evil GBC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Resident Evil GBC Reply with quote

Someone on Assembler is trying to raise $2000 to fund a community release for the GBC version of Resident Evil, which was apparently canned in a near-final state.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36392

I think they are very optimistic in thinking they will be able to raise $2000 for this. First off, ROM kiddies are cheap, and unlikely to contribute. Secondly, I think most people in the know would assume that the prototype isn't even worth that much. Then again, I don't know about the RE scene, maybe there is a lot of people out there who want to see this out, regardless of cost.
drunkdog306

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resident evil beta community are hard cores, they want anything resident evil beta related they can get, no matter what it may be.
drunkdog306

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone cares, there's a big update regarding this fundraiser sometime today.
Kiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donated a bit after the original post was edited to make note that a second RE GBC build is also gonna be tossed in if the donations are met.

I really hope the other RE nuts hop on this soon. It may not be 1.5, but RE GBC looks like a technical marvel in my opinion.
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is kind of an interesting case study in how unwilling people actually are to step up and help make these things happen, this is one of (many) reasons we've never done a public fundraiser.

I just threw in $200, this game is too interesting to let slip.
drunkdog306

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also threw in another build for no extra cost as it says there. Pretty cool stuff.
Evan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
this is kind of an interesting case study in how unwilling people actually are to step up and help make these things happen, this is one of (many) reasons we've never done a public fundraiser.

This is why I hate community fundraisers. They set a goal that was far too high, and people aren't willing to contribute unless a significant amount of money has already been raised. If the guy who set up the fundraiser started things off by donating a large portion of the costs (like maybe $500-$1000), I think this would be going much faster. Unfortunately, most people who are interested in unreleased games are pretty cheap or don't have money (of course, I fall in the later).
DarkTetsuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something told me I'd see something here after I read this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/29/man-ransoming-unreleased-resident-evil-gbc-prototype-roms-to-the/

I'd go off on a rant but eh... it's probably all been said already. :/
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joystiq wrote:
Now, that sounds more like extortion than a fundraiser,

Glad someone finally said this.
drunkdog306

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you wanna call it, most people want both of these builds. The funding amount is almost reached.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:

I actually think it might be sort of a "diffused responsibility" type thing. Once the thing is officially offered to the public, everyone feels like any member of the public can contribute and the danger of losing it is perceived as over, so nobody does anything.

I know the reason I never contribute to these things is I feel better off saving my funds for what we've got in the works privately. There's only so much you can do.

Also, I always worry about the possibility that someone is going to watermark the damn thing without mentioning it. It's happened before...
Evan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkTetsuya wrote:
Something told me I'd see something here after I read this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/29/man-ransoming-unreleased-resident-evil-gbc-prototype-roms-to-the/

I'd go off on a rant but eh... it's probably all been said already. :/

Another reason I hate public fundraising for these things. The business of releasing unreleased games is most certainly on the illegal side of things, and publicly asking for funds is just asking for the wrong type of people to chime in, namely the ROM kiddies. People from outside of the scene don't understand.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: END == 00 0000 Reply with quote

I had to laugh a little when a friend of mine linked me to a local newspaper article about this fundraiser.

TheRedEye wrote:

Yeah. People always disappoints me when it comes to their actual willingness to put their money where their mouth is.

Li Wang wrote:
Also, I always worry about the possibility that someone is going to watermark the damn thing without mentioning it. It's happened before...

Don't think you should worry about there being a watermark. If there is one, that'd suck and I'll (somehow) assume full responsibilty for that ... or something, as it'd be purely accidental that it's there and no one would know or be any wiser anyway.
Li Wang
SnHX WiIYrd
SnHX WiIYrd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: END == 00 0000 Reply with quote

Carnivol wrote:

Don't think you should worry about there being a watermark. If there is one, that'd suck and I'll (somehow) assume full responsibilty for that ... or something, as it'd be purely accidental that it's there and no one would know or be any wiser anyway.

Oh, are you involved with the fundraiser? If so, I'm glad to hear you're making sure it goes right.

How could a watermark accidentally get into anything, though? Did you think I meant the kind of watermarking companies do to track betas? What I meant by watermark is the kind of tampering, hacked in scene type "credits" and "improvements" we constantly see with rom and repro releases these days. Anyway, I didn't mean to suggest this specific release would or wouldn't include such measures. Since it's happened before I just assume such things may have happened with any given public fundraiser and feel wary. Again, though, it's good to hear you're involved with this one and it's being done right.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly involved with the fundraiser itself, but I know the (new) owner of the cart very well and a good few things regarding the cartridge itself, where it's been and all that (insane how fast almost 5 years float by)

As for the "accidentally" part, here's what I referred to;
when the cart was first unearthed, there were some internal trust issues between the ones who shelled out for it and had limited exposure to it and such, so it was kinda secretly watermarked with individual ID tags, incase a leak sprung. Was kinda important that things were kept properly track of, since there were a good few high profile titles, some odd leaks and double-purchases, sources who wanted nothing to do with the public, stuff that was grabbed just for trades and physical copies sold/traded for others, and lots of four digit sums going around and such. Dunno if anyone remembers the public rants from Dot50Cal, but there were a few times when things looked really bright for 1.5 ... from different sources, even, but things fell through, but it's kinda pointless to point fingers at how things went wrong after all these years.

Anyway, the current owner of the GBC cart, not having dumping equipment of his own at the time he purchased it, also got one of those ID tagged ROMs when he purchased the cartridge itself for his collection from the previous owner, but he's been given the heads up about the watermark on his ROM last night. Had almost forgotten all about that watermark until I read this thread.

Anyway, the watermark he got on the ROM he got along with the original cartrdge was just the word END written on the 3 last blank bytes of the ROM data. Nothing that actually shows up ingame anywhere or anything like that, but at least now he's got the clean dump, as it was when first dumped during spring 2007.
Sardius
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roms have been released. I uploaded some footage from the first cart here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgvQYo1Ojo

It's really weird and interesting! I can't imagine it being very playable for anyone who doesn't already have the entire game memorized, though.
Carnivol
gay dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very much true. When this thing first popped up, we had a hard time figuring out whether certain items and triggers just didn't work/exist or if they were just f-ing pixel perfect hard to interact with. (Everytime we did a rerun of it, we had to update the "This is how far you can play before it's broken beyond being able to progress" statement in our notes...)

Anyway, the coolest thing about this game is how absurdly identical it is to its PS1 counterpart under the hood. It is a creepishly faithful port, just with scaling/rotation of sprites being used for characters instead of a polygon engine and all that jazz.

Of course, sprite scaling and rotation on the GBC is a pretty big deal too.
drunkdog306

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at some of the background screen shots from far away or on a smaller thumb nail you almost think it's the psx backgrounds, very weird but cool version of resident evil for sure. I;v noticed that there are some things you'll miss without being in the perfectly right spot. This is definitely a gem for hardcore Resident Evil fan !
Teflon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far can you get in each of the protos before it's completely unplayable?
Asaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon wrote:
How far can you get in each of the protos before it's completely unplayable?

Depends: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/891/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: