Lost Levels Forums

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

Final Mission Prototype

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiroshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Final Mission Prototype Reply with quote

Yes, I realise this game was released in the States under the title S.C.A.T. (Special Cybernetic Attack Team) and in Europe under the title Action in New York. But the original Japanese version has a completely different intro (with alternate music) and the gameplay is slightly different (much harder) along with other minor differences. But I did see a couple of screenshots in an old magazine depicting the Final Mission intro in English. I was wondering if anyone had seen a prototype of this. Both intros are kickass in their own respect, but I'm curious about the translation.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the Japanese version has a different ending as well? You've sparked my curiosity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skrybe
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know at least one prototype of SCAT exists, and it's different from the retail version in that it says "Sample" on the title screen, but I have no idea if there are any other changes in it.
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two main characters also look different. They're both males, and both look the same other than their colors.

The ending seemed the same for the most part, though the aforementioned main character's silhouettes look completely different. Also when the credits are over, it shows each boss in the game with their names. (Which are in English.) Dunno if the text in the ending is different at all.
Richter Belmont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was pretty hilarious that they were gutsy enough to call the main characters "Arnold" and "Sigourney", and the character select portraits even resembled them.

OH NOEZ COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
TheRedEye
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi
The Internet's Frank Cifaldi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, it's possible to beat Final Mission? Lies!
ArnoldRimmer83
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRedEye wrote:
Wait, it's possible to beat Final Mission? Lies!

It is, if you use save states. :P
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that noticed that the entire game has a Konami-ish feel to it? The graphics, the pause sound among others... the graphics... even the guy speaking when you start a game.

Odd.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smeg
Staff
Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitsune wrote:
Am I the only one that noticed that the entire game has a Konami-ish feel to it? The graphics, the pause sound among others... the graphics... even the guy speaking when you start a game.

Odd.

Very odd, seeing as how Natsume was formed by ex-Capcom employees.
Kitsune
FURRY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeg wrote:
Very odd, seeing as how Natsume was formed by ex-Capcom employees.

That probably explains why the company turned to shit around that time.

Edit:
Agh, I hate writing stuff half-asleep. I meant that there seemed to be a very noticeable decay in the quality of certain games around that time... maybe I'm just putting things together, it's just that some of Capcom's SNES and NES games just seemed to decay in quality after a while.
Johnny Undaunted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter Belmont wrote:
I thought it was pretty hilarious that they were gutsy enough to call the main characters "Arnold" and "Sigourney", and the character select portraits even resembled them.

OH NOEZ COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Heh. It's even funnier when you consider that when Japanese games are localized, it's usually the localized versions that tries to avoid using celebrity likeness (like when Capcom switched the names of those Street Fighter characters to avoid a lawsuit from Tyson).
StriderVM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have played the Japanese version (Pirated, yey!) on my childhood and just recently played the US/Euro version through roms.....

And I noticed the things Kitsune had said.

It also doesn't have the map screen (It's just text ie. Stage 01, along with a different , but totally intelligible voice which changes per stage.) . You only have 3 lives/hit points....... Although it has a cheat to get 10 lives..... XD

And the biggest wonder of all, the Konami sounding pause sound. Does Konami have any involvement about Final Mission? Like distribution?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Levels Forum Index -> Unreleased Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: